I need help with getting a hockey goalie mask

Penguins123

Jan 22, 2011
Me and my friends are beginner roller hockey players and I want to try playing goalie. We use a roller hockey puck, not a ball. I want to get a safe mask but not spend more than 60 dollars. Does anyone know where I can find a mask for this price or what mask to get?

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
Aside from a used mask, which most people don't recommend (but is a serviceable choice), your only option is to get one of those cheap street hockey masks that Franklin makes. However, I know those are extremely unsafe for puck play and make the lower end "widow maker" masks look like fortresses for your head.

If you can't find a safe, used option...spend a little more and get the Bauer 1200 if you're really on a budget. It's about 120 on inlinewarehouse.com (free shipping and 10% off if you join their membership by buying a tshirt or hat for 10 bucks). I, too, am a beginner roller hockey goalie and despite the claims that those are unsafe, it's good enough for beginner roller although I know I'm still taking a slight chance of having my head ringing if I ever take a shot to the mask.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i sure as hell wouldn't want myself shooting at me standing there in a $60 mask.

and i don't exactly have a fearsome shot.'

really depends on what sort of level you're talking about, but a quality mask is going to cost a good chunk of change more than that. and IMO, protection your head/face is a legitimate priority.

Penguins123

Jan 22, 2011
I don't plan on playing in a league or anything. It's kinda just a thing that me and my friends do for fun. I don't have $120 to be throwing around or anything. One of my friends who actually plays roller hockey goalie in a league and has won state titles said that the street hockey masks are a usable option for roller hockey especially with non-advanced players.

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
I don't plan on playing in a league or anything. It's kinda just a thing that me and my friends do for fun. I don't have $120 to be throwing around or anything. One of my friends who actually plays roller hockey goalie in a league and has won state titles said that the street hockey masks are a usable option for roller hockey especially with non-advanced players.

You do realize you're talking about head and face protection? For the same $60 bucks you'll spend on one of those Franklin "toys", you can get a helmet/cage combo that will adequately protect you in goal and serve as a "regular" helmet should you choose to play forward/defense.

Obviously, these are my opinions and you are free to do as you choose.

Penguins123

Jan 22, 2011
I wasn't dismissing the idea of the helmet/cage combo. I actually think it's a good idea. I was just passing on what one of my friends said. Don't Chris Osgood and Jonas Hiller use the helmet/cage combo?

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
I don't know if you have seen the Franklin masks but the plastic they use isn't particularly thick or strong, and the foam is laughable. At the very least, I would expect a good shot from a puck to crack the plastic shell and make you have to go buy another (at which point it would have been just as cheap to buy a better one).

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
The guys I play ball hockey with would destroy me in a "Street" mask with an orange hockey ball. How heavy is roller puck? If it is equal or greater than you'd have to be nuts to use something like that.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
The guys I play ball hockey with would destroy me in a "Street" mask with an orange hockey ball. How heavy is roller puck? If it is equal or greater than you'd have to be nuts to use something like that.

Assuming it's something like a Franklin Pro Commander

12247F-asstd-color.jpg

then you are absolutely crazy to use a $60 street hockey mask.

Simply put and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't shell out $120 for a decent mask (which is all that would be at best) then you probably shouldn't be playing the most expensive position in hockey.

BTW, if you don't have $120 for a decent mask, what exactly is your budget for the rest of the equipment (catcher, blocker, chest/arm protector, jock, pads)?

Last edited:

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
there's no information as to if that helmet is ANSI or Snell approved. I wouldn't take a puck wearing it. Also, the chin doesn't come down far enough and that throat protector looks a bit jankey.

fcb51

Oct 18, 2008
Go ahead and buy a $60 mask, however you'll be paying more than $120 to repair the damage to your face...

The risk really isn't worth trying to save money.

Penguins123

Jan 22, 2011
ok so I'm leading towards buying the helmet/cage combo. does anyone have an argument against this? and just in case you're wondering I'm not playing in a league and I kinda just play roller hockey as a simple hobby. And when I say beginner roller hockey players, that means my friends do not have anywhere near fearsome shots. Thank you for your input.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
ok so I'm leading towards buying the helmet/cage combo. does anyone have an argument against this? and just in case you're wondering I'm not playing in a league and I kinda just play roller hockey as a simple hobby. And when I say beginner roller hockey players, that means my friends do not have anywhere near fearsome shots. Thank you for your input.

Don't you already have a helmet? If so, just get a decent...heavy cage (something cheap, not light titanium) that'll fit on your helmet and a throat protector.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

Honestly, as a goalie, that scares me even more since they probably have zero control over their shots which could lead to more shots to the head.

IMO regardless if you are playing in a league or just messing around, getting protective equipment is very important. But, it's your body, so do as you please.

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
try looking on the forum on goaliestore.com under "calling all combo wearers".
http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-forum/42850-calling-all-combo-wearers.html

people there can recommend a helmet/ cage combo - or just look at what others have used. most are using for regular (ice) hockey so they should be protective enough for roller.

most common helmets seem to be coopers and jofas (especially the 390 model).
some have goalie cages - some have certain player's cages that seem to work for them (usually along with a 'dangler').

if they don't have anything in their classifieds, check ebay, kijiji and other places. if checking these places make sure the cage isn't a junior model (if you are a regular sized adult).

I got lucky and got a 390 jofa at a thrift store for under $10, and got a new goalie cage to go on it many years ago in a local hockey shop (Cooper GL-100 L).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad