I miss being passionate about hockey

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
This isn't a sob thread, but half way through another emotionless season, and I am just reminiscing on the moments that had me on the edge my seat.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was nervous for an oilers game. Their recent skid of losing has crushed the passion in me. Watching the Seahawks game last week and seeing the reactions of the fans made me very envious. I just want to be able to cheer loud and hard for the cooper and blue, I want us to be relevant again so we can come together as a city and celebrate success. I want us to be to be on the edge of our seats while we fight tooth and nail for a playoff spot. I want us to score a goal with 10 seconds left to tie the game. I want the entire city talking about the game last night. I want fans to be jealous of the intense, exciting games we have.

Can anyone honestly remember the last time they were incredibly nervous or excited for a game?

I have 2 that were somewhat nerve racking. The oilers and kings game in 2013 when yakupov scored with a couple of seconds left. And before that, I remember a game in 2007 when the oilers were on a huge winning streak at the end of the season, and we played Calgary. Kyle Brodziak and Curtis Glencross were carrying the team on their backs and we almost won that game, but then tanguay scored from a bad angle and we lost....

Sad, 2 moments in the past 8 years I can say I was excited or nervous about.

EDIT:

1. Eberles first game was exciting
2. Nuges first hat trick was exciting as well

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak sliding across the ice, and his first career hat trick during the final game of his rookie season was the last time I remember cheering like nuts for this team.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I remember 2006. I was telling everybody "if only we had a good goalie, this team will do damage". That doesn't make me a genius, we all knew we needed a goalie. We would come back from behind all of the time. Prongers goal with a second or less left in Phoenix. We were actually beating CGY in games....Seems like ages ago.

We were allowing 15-18 shots per game sometimes.

That and the next year are the last times I have remembered being really positive.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Nuge's "hat trick" still pisses me off. That third goal should've been Hall's.

I definitely agree with you though, I've been more passionate about the Jets lately which is sad.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I really miss the buzz that used to exist in our building. I recently went to a couple of games in Montreal, and it reminded me of what it is like to be in a building that it home to a competitive team with passionate fans. Games at Rexall have been comparable to attending a funeral for several years now.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Maybe a streak like this will be all the more worth it if we ever do climb back into a playoff race. Oiler fans know, now more than any other fanbase, don't take winning for granted. It's crazy going on other teams forums and seeing them complain about all kinds of **** and yet their team is winning...This fanbase will be stronger if we ever become relevant again

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagners 8pt game. That's gotta be there. Of course that had me pumped up.

Any LA Kings game in the playoffs does it for me as well.

But overall we're not talking pumped. We're talking coffee to stay awake watching this listless team.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Gagners 8pt game. That's gotta be there. Of course that had me pumped up.

Any LA Kings game in the playoffs does it for me as well.

But overall we're not talking pumped. We're talking coffee to stay awake watching this listless team.

Gagners 8 point game was fantastic, but if you looked at the standings, we were out of the playoffs at the time, so to me, it wasn't really that nerve racking, more of an individual feat

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagners 8 point game was fantastic, but if you looked at the standings, we were out of the playoffs at the time, so to me, it wasn't really that nerve racking, more of an individual feat

it definitely had me jumping. :D

The whole line played well. Eberle and Gagner were working magic together. They were seeing the game in slow motion that night and really feeling it. Some real filthy plays in the bunch.

There hasn't been much to cheer for. Thread topic is real legit.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm a sour old codger that hates everything so it's back to the Gretzky era for the last time I cracked a smile.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The last time I remember being excited about the Oilers was during the Kreuger season where we were sitting in 8th place on March 1 I believe. Then we took a nosedive in the standings

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Nuge's "hat trick" still pisses me off. That third goal should've been Hall's.

I definitely agree with you though, I've been more passionate about the Jets lately which is sad.

Ive watched more Jets games in the last 2 years than Oilers - they play an all around entertaining game win or lose. Byfuglien alone is worth watching.

I am definitely losing my ingrained affiliation with the Oilers, they really just disgust me now. It basically hurts my head to watch uninspired hockey especially with sportsnets sleep inducing audio in their broadcasts.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I hear ya. I was in 4 hockey pools, and now I can't be bothered, and am going to drop out of all but one. Gagner's big night, and Yak's slide were about it for my genuine excitement

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The last time I remember being excited about the Oilers was during the Kreuger season where we were sitting in 8th place on March 1 I believe. Then we took a nosedive in the standings

Ya I was estatic after we waxed the Flames in back to back games by a score of about 12-2 to put us in a playoff spot (I think that was also for 5 games in a row). Then we went to Vancouver the next night and layed an egg which we couldn't recover from for some reason that I wish I could explain.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Scrivens big shutout, Yakupov's tying goal, and Gagner tying Gretzky's record is the only real positive/intense moments I've had through this nightmare. None of that comes close to watching playoff hockey in Edmonton though.

Ogopogo*

I remember the excitement I had for Eberle's first game and the excitement I had when the team returned from the lockout - I believe that was RNH's first game. Other than that, not too much. I guess Gagner's 8 point game and Scrivens' 59 save game were both unexpected gems but, when about 70 of 82 games are dull, that is sad.

My passion for the NHL in general has waned significantly due to the defensive nature of the game these days. Hockey just isn't exciting anymore and that is sad. Something I loved to watch in the 70s and 80s has become hard to watch today. Unless the Oilers are playing, I have no interest anymore. Sadly, many nights the Oilers make it uninteresting to watch them as well. I watched 2 games of the 2014 playoffs, just couldn't be bothered to watch teams grind it out defensively. Sad what the game has turned into.

Lately, I have been seriously considering canceling my cable and just buying the sports packages I want, rather than paying so much for a ton of channels I don't watch. Hockey has so alienated me, I am considering getting the NBA package and not the NHL Game Center. The NBA package is $99 for the full season, NHL Game Center is $129 for a half-season. Considering the lack of entertainment value in the NHL these days, It is beyond me how they can consider their full-season package worth double what the NBA does. The MLB package is $129 for a full season and the Australian Football League package is $139 for the season. How in the world does hockey justify being the most expensive by a huge margin? They don't provide enough entertainment in the modern-day game to justify the cost.

The NHL is turning me into a basketball fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

^ya, i can understand, that was exciting, plus Gagner's 8 point game when we blasted the Hawks, and Nuge's 5 assist game was great too (unless it was the same game?)

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Cheering against Vancouver during their cup run for me.

The last 2 years I didn't even get a chance to even dream of playoff hockey.. playoff race.

This year I pegged them as done after the 0/5 start.

I guess the lockout year up until the trade deadline was decent.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Norm, try hockeystreams if gamecenter isn't worth the dough. I catch maybe 1-2 games each week, but it's nice to know I can catch the game if I wish to.

I'll second that the game has become bland, a little dead even. But I loathe that somehow hockey has become a religion of its own. Being ticketed for tossing a jersey on the ice. Sneered at for wearing a knockoff jersey. Frowned at for booing. It's a little too ridiculous for me to stand. And the NFL is far, far more fun. No idea why people swallow the Oilers and smile. None.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the Oilers-Flames game in April 2013 when they beat the Flames 8-2 in Calgary was the last time I was pumped before and after the game...we held onto a playoff spot for a brief night

we lost 6 in a row after that...lol

Yak-goal game was pretty sweet too...was convinced he was gonna be a 40-goal sniper (still could I guess)

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
I hear that... It'll come back.

During our epic 1st quarter losing streak, I was so angry at the coaching and the heart of the team in general that I didn't even attend my own beer league games.

Too painful!

Back at it now, heh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad