I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It was a totally reasonable opinion in their draft years. Grow up

You must have been blind then.

Undressing NHL stars at the WC at 18 years old. Bedard shit in his draft year honestly. Dominating Finnish men’s pro league. Great at WJC

I don't remember his draft year. I don't follow prospects like I used to - sorry!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I personally love a good thread bump and dunk. Too many awful takes go unaccounted for when they are eventually proven to be undeniably wrong a few years later. Also fun to go back and see various poster's thoughts from that point in time.
Sometimes. Sometimes it feels uniquely mean spirited and uncalled for. But given how HF armchair scouts have always and will always make overly confident predictions about players who haven't even been drafted or made the NHL yet, I'm always interested to see retrospectives. You can apply that to professional scouts too.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Sometimes. Sometimes it feels uniquely mean spirited and uncalled for. But given how HF armchair scouts have always and will always make overly confident predictions about players who haven't even been drafted or made the NHL yet, I'm always interested to see retrospectives. You can apply that to professional scouts too.
It's not mean-spirited in this case.

It's deserved.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Another case study for why scouting overly obsessed with strength and size ("Hughes has a small frame") is misguided.

Not to pile on too much on the OP. Scouting is hard.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I personally love a good thread bump and dunk. Too many awful takes go unaccounted for when they are eventually proven to be undeniably wrong a few years later. Also fun to go back and see various poster's thoughts from that point in time.
Fair enough. So my guess is you would have no issue with people bumping opinions of yours in the past then.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
To be fair, Kakko had outstanding statistical numbers for his age too. Size wasn't the biggest factor here.

I'm just referring to what the OP said regarding Hughes's size. It's a common mistake some people make on this board.

The bigger prospect is not necessarily at an advantage over a smaller one. I would say it's more likely to be the opposite. Bigger guys sometimes peak early, dominate their peers and then once they reach the highest level of competition they become average players.

There's also the issue of hockey sense. It's rather obvious that Hughes has much more of it.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fair enough. So my guess is you would have no issue with people bumping opinions of yours in the past then.

Have at it!

I'll gladly own up to them. Though (spoiler alert) I'm not one to spit out such hot takes. I have 12K+ posts for you to prove me wrong though.

Good luck!

Reactions: BerthMania

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I'm just referring to what the OP said regarding Hughes's size. It's a common mistake some people make on this board.

The bigger prospect is not necessarily at an advantage over a smaller one. I would say it's more likely to be the opposite. Bigger guys sometimes peak early, dominate their peers and then once they reach the highest level of competition they become average players.

There's also the issue of hockey sense. It's rather obvious that Hughes has much more of it.
Yeah I was a big Hughes guy myself, still am.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
I've said it before and I'll say it again: no one homers like the Finns.
Yeah we either overhype the living shit out of our prospects or hate their guts and constantly point out their flaws. There’s no inbetween.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
This thread isn’t nearly as bad as the one about Kakko being the most NHL ready prospect they have ever seen.
Why? He might have been. No way to know since Gallant wouldn't give Mario or Gretzky big minutes when they were rookies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Hughes has been given all the chances in the world to excel. Kakko hasn't.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Which part of the hype did you not understand? He had a phenomenal Liiga season, playoffs and World Championships. The hype and draft position were completely justified at the time. Too bad his game has taken this long to transition to smaller ice. Hopefully he still has a couple more gears.
Slafkovsky pretty much was 1st overall for same reason (minus Liiga success)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad