I know it is super early but do u think the Isles are prepared to meet Boychuks...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't think the Isles will wait till the offseason to see if he resigns. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved him at the deadline if we know he wont sign here.
If he declines a solid offer to re-sign, it is not a given that we move him. In his case, we would need to set an early deadline for his answer, say mid-February. If he declares that he definitely is set on testing free agency, Garth needs to solicit offers from other clubs for a deadline deal, and no sooner. But what we get must be rich or it would be worth retaining him until seasons end if we are in a good spot for playoffs.
It would be worth losing him for nothing if he can get us into and maybe advancing in playoffs vs. a less than good player, which is unlikely as teams would not give up a roster player to our liking while they are in the hunt. For me it would take a Brandon Saad type, young with great upside, for me to give a team a key to a Championship, even a rental.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't think the Isles will wait till the offseason to see if he resigns. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved him at the deadline if we know he wont sign here.

Unless this season goes drastically wrong and we are out of the hunt by the deadline, there is no way they are moving him.

Garth made a statement this offseason that the rebuild was over. Trading away a key defenseman would fly completely in the face of that.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Keep in mind that if Boychuck has what amounts to a 'breakout season' as a true #1Dman, something he's never been asked to be before, his price will skyrocket.
Something tells me, though, that he'll be a gentleman about this and will at least consider what Snow has to offer. That fact that we have what appears to be a tight locker room and a team on the rise can only help.
I'd open the bank for him, I will say that. Guys like him don't become available to teams like us too often, and he absolutly fits us like a glove. He's the kind of guy you overpay, in $$$ and term.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Unless this season goes drastically wrong and we are out of the hunt by the deadline, there is no way they are moving him.

Garth made a statement this offseason that the rebuild was over. Trading away a key defenseman would fly completely in the face of that.

I agree. If the isles are anywhere near a playoff spot at the 2015 TDL, I don't think we will see them move Boychuk. I do not even think they'd move Lubo at that point. The team will be focused on making the playoffs and trying to make a deep run.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Keep in mind that if Boychuck has what amounts to a 'breakout season' as a true #1Dman, something he's never been asked to be before, his price will skyrocket.
Something tells me, though, that he'll be a gentleman about this and will at least consider what Snow has to offer. That fact that we have what appears to be a tight locker room and a team on the rise can only help.
I'd open the bank for him, I will say that. Guys like him don't become available to teams like us too often, and he absolutly fits us like a glove. He's the kind of guy you overpay, in $$$ and term.
I agree that he should get a very good offer from us, but let's not get carried away. He is not Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, or Erik Karlsson.
He will surely want a 7 (or in our case 8) year deal as he is 30 years old. If he were younger he would go for a pretty rich deal but lesser term so he could tap into the FA sweepstakes a second time. It is possible for a 2nd kick at the can if he signs a 3 or 4 year deal with us but he would be taking a risk, although for a very big number. We could give him a short deal/high payment as if we believe that Pulock is his equal replacement in 3 years.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Money shouldn't be an issue. With Lubo's $4.75M($6M in salary) coming off of the books, they can afford to offer both Boychuk and Nielsen substantial raises, and still manage to come in around the same cap/salary figure next year(assuming Pulock ends up taking Visnovsky's spot on his ELC).

It will all come down to Boychuk, and how he feels about the future of the team, as well as living in the area. There are a lot of different types of areas to NY(city, suburban, beach, in the middle of the woods, etc.), so I'm sure that he and his family will find some area that they would feel comfortable settling down in. After that, it's the team, and if the first two games are any indication - as well as the youthfulness of this team, and the likelihood of them improving further as the years go by - I don't see that being much of an issue either.

Money: check
Family/Home: check
Playing time: check
Successful team: only thing left to be determined.

I'm hopeful though. Much more hopeful than I was with Vanek.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

So then you pay it.

chaCHING! Money well spent if I am not hallucinating.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
This! Lubo will be gone next year and that frees up plenty of money for Boychuck.

I don't think Lubo will be here next season, he makes 6M now and 55 makes already 3.6M this season. Seems there is enough room for him.
Isles have to sign 55. They can always trade him if they want.
And why should 55 not sign here when he gets top minutes here in Brkln.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I honestly think the more Boychuk is here, the more he's enjoying himself, and I can definitely see Garth giving him what he wants. I wouldn't be opposed to a 5 year $30M deal.

The Islanders are in an interesting position for the future on their defense. Assuming guys like Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield live up to expectations, where will the room be for them. Say we re-sign Boychuk and Leddy; we already have Hamonic and de Haan locked up. Will both Reinhart and Pulock be ready by next season? What would it mean for Hickey? I think Hickey has done enough to earn himself a nice contract. He's done everything right and has really earned our trust when he's on the ice. But what happens for him after this season if Reinhart and Pulock are ready?

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
PeMrZkD.jpg

Montemania

Jun 24, 2014
I honestly think the more Boychuk is here, the more he's enjoying himself, and I can definitely see Garth giving him what he wants. I wouldn't be opposed to a 5 year $30M deal.

The Islanders are in an interesting position for the future on their defense. Assuming guys like Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield live up to expectations, where will the room be for them. Say we re-sign Boychuk and Leddy; we already have Hamonic and de Haan locked up. Will both Reinhart and Pulock be ready by next season? What would it mean for Hickey? I think Hickey has done enough to earn himself a nice contract. He's done everything right and has really earned our trust when he's on the ice. But what happens for him after this season if Reinhart and Pulock are ready?

Good problems to have. Early in the year. Let's shhhh. :sarcasm:

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
You guys are thinking about this too early, and certainly overrating Boychuk on 3 games. He was a 4-5 defenseman in Boston and yeah, in a new role he may be a good #2-3 but he's no superstar. 3-4 years, 4.5-5.5 million a year, I think that would get it done if he likes it here.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You guys are thinking about this too early, and certainly overrating Boychuk on 3 games. He was a 4-5 defenseman in Boston and yeah, in a new role he may be a good #2-3 but he's no superstar. 3-4 years, 4.5-5.5 million a year, I think that would get it done if he likes it here.

Lol, Boychuk was a 2-3 in Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2