I know it is super early but do u think the Isles are prepared to meet Boychuks...

startainfection*

Contract demands, wisniewski got, I think, 6per a few years ago, orpik got 5.5 on a long term deal as well, will boychuk be looking for north of 7 per, maybe even 7.5 per? Do u think the isles are going to see him as a player that they absolutely want lock up before free agency?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I think the islanders are in a unique position here. Boychuck already said he is willing to be a mentor which is a huge plus. As much as I love Vanek I dont think he was really going to take nelson or strome under his wing. Or even bailey for that matter

What does any of that apply to giving boychuck a contract... Well, the islanders may make a strong offer but not one that says we absolutely have to have you. Seeing as how we have some strong depth o ln the backend that is being tutored by boychuck. For all intensive purposes they could feel we have the guys to be more ready to fill a role to replace him.

That being said, the islanders did give up a hefty amount. That could factor into Garth having extra incentive to want to lock boychuck down. Regardless of the cost.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i was wondering how he would play here, after hearing how disappointed he was with the trade.

after watching just two games, i am leaning toward making him a long term, lucrative offer. he has all the tools, IMO.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
I honestly think it depends on the season. I think at the mid-way point, Snow will offer him a contract. If we're winning, I think he stays, if we aren't it'll take some convincing.

That being said, I think whatever kind of contract he wants, he gets.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I don't think Lubo will be here next season, he makes 6M now and 55 makes already 3.6M this season. Seems there is enough room for him.
Isles have to sign 55. They can always trade him if they want.
And why should 55 not sign here when he gets top minutes here in Brkln.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I think the Isles are, I'm not so sure about Boychuk yet. They have to give him an offer he can't refuse in order to avoid losing him to UFA. Unlike Vanek Boychuk's a legit top-4 D (1st pairing at that). They're not easy to come by and on the market he'd demand a huge contract.\

I suspect we'll have to overpay for him, maybe even by quite a bit. BUT I'm ok with that. I'm completely fine overpaying for good players.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I would think the money can be worked out. It will come down to whether he likes the area, thinks the Isles have potential to contend, and how much he enjoys getting set up for one-timers by JT on the PP (the last one could be most important).

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
If it's working out, they will almost certainly try to sign Boychuk. It makes all the sense in the world. He's the kind of 30ish that has plenty of tread on his tires. At the end of the deal he'll just bring leadership and intelligence.

A prelude to that attempt, IMO, will be an attempt to deal Grabner for futures.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The role Boychuck has been given here makes him worth more to us than he would be to almost any other team. Maybe in a few years Pulock gets that assignment, but right now, JB is the bomber from the point. With a more mature defense he might get #3 ice time and not so much PP as he would get here.
Either way he commands a big payday if he continues to produce on both sides of the puck. A long way to go and we will have to see his impact on defense, but we may offer him a very solid package and also use the extra year term that only we have to give. He is 30 and we could give him an 7 year deal, the question is really salary structure and whether he wants a NT/NMC.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
They need to sign this guy, period. His untapped offensive skills are off the charts. Boston is going to be kicking themselves(in the tires?) for years about letting him go.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Ideally IMO a 4-5 year deal for Boychuk would be great, the money I have no idea what he would want:

Boychuk-Hammer
De Haan-Reinhart
Pullock-Leddy
(In no particular order) would be our defense for a probably the last 3 years of his contract. After that Boychuk can go at age 34-35 if he so chooses and we wouldn't really miss a beat with the other 5 guys. Of course there are a lot of variables (De haan's Healthy along with 3 years from now De Haan, Reinhart and Pulock will be RFA and Leddy is RFA after this year). Overall I think locking up Boychuk for the next 4-5 years would make this defense a strength of this team for years.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I honestly think it depends on the season. I think at the mid-way point, Snow will offer him a contract. If we're winning, I think he stays, if we aren't it'll take some convincing.

That being said, I think whatever kind of contract he wants, he gets.

So far so good but its been 2 games. I think both sides wait until January and then start talking. At that point, Boychuk will have a feel for the team, he'll have a better understanding of the area, of the new arena and how life will look like once they make the move (I'm assuming the team has put some resources into "relocation", etc.) and the make up of the team. Likewise, the team will have a feel for Boychuk what he brings both on and off the ice and what his likely shelf life will be. As someone suggested, he appears to have tread left on his tires, but he is on the wrong side of 30 - I'm not sure if a 7 year deal is all that wise. But if thats what the market will bear, we should probably consider it. The $$$/yr is largely irrelevant - just like with Boyle, we should/could easily match any number out there - we are nowhere near the cap and we will have increased revenue going forward.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The only pull the Islanders have is offering him 8 years instead of the 7 other teams can offer. We may have an overpaid stalwart that could be Witt bad at that age, but the years leading up to it would more than pay for what we get.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
He'll have a year under his belt with the Isles and fall in love with the place like everyone else does. I'm sure Garth would be willing to offer him whatever money he wants as well.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
This guy would be worth a big contract. He's only what, 30? That's a perfect aged veteran to move into this teams competitive years with. He also has always been a hard worker apparently, I doubt that will suddenly go away.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
pretty simple answer.....we want to sign him and he will sign if we are winning

if we have a good year, make the playoffs and hopefully win a round, i would assume he would be happy signing here for market terrm/money.....i think 5 years 30-32mm would do it

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
This guy would be worth a big contract. He's only what, 30? That's a perfect aged veteran to move into this teams competitive years with. He also has always been a hard worker apparently, I doubt that will suddenly go away.

Let's not forget that defensemen take longer to develop than forwards and their prime typically lasts longer (often into their mid-30s).

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't see anything getting done until after the season.

If the Isles have a good season, and can win a playoff round (or at least have a very competitive one), I think he will re-sign. Otherwise, I think he walks.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I don't see anything getting done until after the season.

If the Isles have a good season, and can win a playoff round (or at least have a very competitive one), I think he will re-sign. Otherwise, I think he walks.

I don't think the Isles will wait till the offseason to see if he resigns. I wouldn't be surprised if we moved him at the deadline if we know he wont sign here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad