I know, I know...but What If? - Mike Smith gets HOT!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'll say this much: Smith did give the team a lot of chances tow in against the Jets but ultimately the team couldn't get it done. But the Smith of this year looks like a completely different player and not a better one.

The only game I feel Smith could have been better was maybe the 3rd game, but everyone imploded in those three minutes. Hell, he had a 60 minute shutout in Game 2, but still lost.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The only game I feel Smith could have been better was maybe the 3rd game, but everyone imploded in those three minutes. Hell, he had a 60 minute shutout in Game 2, but still lost.
True. Forgot how disappointing that series was… stifled :/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bump. Discuss. ;)

3 games in a row where Smith is the margin of winning. Smith was better than J Quick last night. Beat that.
Last night was the most convincing of the three. There were a couple in the Anaheim and San Jose games that I wasn't sure he wasn't just getting lucky, but yesterday he looked comfortable for the first time all season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Last night was the most convincing of the three. There were a couple in the Anaheim and San Jose games that I wasn't sure he wasn't just getting lucky, but yesterday he looked comfortable for the first time all season.
TBH I think distortion exists in this and some observer bias potential. All you see in GDT's (not saying you is things like butt clench, oh no Smith is playing the puck again etc.

I look at comments like that and wonder what people are watching. Smith has been playing the puck confidently, and well, for several games now. Probably around his last 7 starts at least. But people will look at games where he makes 20 solid transitions to the D (invaluable) but then stop at the one puck that kind of gets misplayed that doesn't even result in anything. They will cry in horror at that one play.

So that the observed process is not whether Smith is being comfortable making the play or the team is comfortable in him, its whatever preexisting bias the fanbase has in relation to the comfort about him making a play.

If you read this board, and never watched games you would deduce Smith is terrible, just awful playing the puck. If you talked to any of the D, or players, or coaches they would tell you he's still elite at it.

Its one of the biggest biases found on this board and ironically because its the other goalie that can't play the puck. Its as if people just co deduce that both goalies should be chained to their goal posts.

The risk/reward in Smith playing pucks is almost always positive. You take it, and it helps him get in games and get his mojo. With Smith and playing the puck its like Samson getting his longhair mojo on.

sorry I piggybacked on this post. My response had more to do with some awful takes in the GDT. That are still occuring.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
TBH I think distortion exists in this and some observer bias potential. All you see in GDT's (not saying you is things like butt clench, oh no Smith is playing the puck again etc.

I look at comments like that and wonder what people are watching. Smith has been playing the puck confidently, and well, for several games now. Probably around his last 7 starts at least. But people will look at games where he makes 20 solid transitions to the D (invaluable) but then stop at the one puck that kind of gets misplayed that doesn't even result in anything. They will cry in horror at that one play.

So that the observed process is not whether Smith is being comfortable making the play or the team is comfortable in him, its whatever preexisting bias the fanbase has in relation to the comfort about him making a play.

If you read this board, and never watched games you would deduce Smith is terrible, just awful playing the puck. If you talked to any of the D, or players, or coaches they would tell you he's still elite at it.

Its one of the biggest biases found on this board and ironically because its the other goalie that can't play the puck. Its as if people just co deduce that both goalies should be chained to their goal posts.

The risk/reward in Smith playing pucks is almost always positive. You take it, and it helps him get in games and get his mojo. With Smith and playing the puck its like Samson getting his longhair mojo on.

sorry I piggybacked on this post. My response had more to do with some awful takes in the GDT. That are still occuring.
Understood it's not directed specifically at me, but my comments weren't as much about puck handling as it was his actions in the crease. He still seemed to be overcommitting on some plays vs. Anaheim and San Jose and particularly in Anaheim almost got into trouble again getting across for some wraparounds and was sometimes very slow getting back into position when he had to make an athletic play in the crease. Yesterday he seemed to be in the right spot a lot more and just generally tidy.

For me, I'm not going to worry much about Smith and his puckhandling even though there is the odd time the sphincter tightens because we know he tends to create more than he gives up by doing so. I just worry about his primary duty which is saving the puck. Yesterday was the closest I've seen to the confident and controlled Mike Smith in the crease that we've seen in 2021-22.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Understood it's not directed specifically at me, but my comments weren't as much about puck handling as it was his actions in the crease. He still seemed to be overcommitting on some plays vs. Anaheim and San Jose and particularly in Anaheim almost got into trouble again getting across for some wraparounds and was sometimes very slow getting back into position when he had to make an athletic play in the crease. Yesterday he seemed to be in the right spot a lot more and just generally tidy.

For me, I'm not going to worry much about Smith and his puckhandling even though there is the odd time the sphincter tightens because we know he tends to create more than he gives up by doing so. I just worry about his primary duty which is saving the puck. Yesterday was the closest I've seen to the confident and controlled Mike Smith in the crease that we've seen in 2021-22.
Yeah I know, I got on a one way tangent. heh. Something I seem adept at..

Fair comment on the rest.

Smith is a fierce competitor, a warrior. He's the goalie equivalent of Darnell Nurse. A guy that is sometimes guilty of his passion and trying to do too much, and be too much. The remedy for this is the team and players taking up the slack, continuing to get results, and overall improving. Guys like Smith and Nurse can be most susceptible when the team is struggling or has been struggling. It tears at them to see it. They are guilty of overcompensating.

Smith is getting some games in to get comfortable, and hopefully for the team to stay in a groove. tbh I don't think the team has been that great in the road swing. I think Smith has.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
But he let in another five-hole goal much like in the San Jose & St. Louis games.

This has to worry everybody since I recently learned right here on this board that five-hole goals are always bad goals no matter what the circumstances or who is shooting the puck.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
With that hair and beard there's no contest he already is!

1649446305800.png

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
a confident mike smith at this time of year is awesome
But he let in another five-hole goal much like in the San Jose & St. Louis games.

This has to worry everybody since I recently learned right here on this board that five-hole goals are always bad goals no matter what the circumstances or who is shooting the puck.
kind of, the five holer came after a barrie give away and since barrie has just as many if not more haters it doesnt count

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
a confident mike smith at this time of year is awesome

kind of, the five holer came after a barrie give away and since barrie has just as many if not more haters it doesnt count
Yeah, but I've learned by reading this board that five-hole goals should never, ever happen to an NHL quality goaltender.
Doesn't he realize how easy it is to move side to side without ever spreading your legs? I'm no expert but I'm sure there are goaltending savants on this very board that could help him out with this very serious, but easily fixable, problem.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022

How bout sewing a clear mesh net to cover the 5 hole like Tony Zero used to. If you’re not cheating you’re not trying!!!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Smitty is the best puck handling goalie in the league. Saves his defensemen and back checkers numous hits. The outlet pass to McDavid the other night was pure gold and you could witness the appreciation from him and the rest of the gang!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Smitty is the best puck handling goalie in the league. Saves his defensemen and back checkers numous hits. The outlet pass to McDavid the other night was pure gold and you could witness the appreciation from him and the rest of the gang!
Anybody with the username Cournoyer12 is welcome to jump on the bandwagon here for the stretch and playoff run. I was a fan of that Habs club and Cournoyer, such a joy of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad