I just want two top 6 wingers, thats it.

QuesoFundido

Feb 6, 2014
Plannit Earf
That is all the team needs, they don't need to be first team all stars, hell, not even top end first liners, just two legitimate, proven top 6ers. No Ray, they cant be "reclamation projects", no Ray they cant be over 37 years old, or 3rd line middling tweener top 9ers with feet where their hands should be. I just want two guys with the wheels and the chops to be productive on Sidney Crosby's line, that really isn't a huge demand. My reason for this is depth by trickle down, no other acquisitions needed. Anything outside of Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Maatta can be had. Picks, prospects, roster players, Primanti sandwich full o' fries, whatever gets it done.

x-Crosby-x
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal (best line in hockey when they were together)
some combo of Goc/Sutter/Dupuis/Stemp/Megna
some combo of Engelland/Vitale/Zolnierczyk/Sill/Leblond....anyway,not Gladams.

yes, I left out Beauner, he could play a year in the A or put in a deal for said established, proven top 6er, which he at this point is not.

QuesoFundido

Feb 6, 2014
Plannit Earf
Anything in the organization not named Crosby, Malkin, Neal or Maatta, like I said, they dont need to be 80pt studs, not world beaters, just guys good for the range of 25 goals and 60 pts, we have the assets and the money coming off the books to make some deals.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
One plus Bennett would be fine. Kesler, if you please.

People are going to have a "duh" moment when Beau comes back and they all of a sudden remember what they had been raving about before he got injured.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Anything in the organization not named Crosby, Malkin, Neal or Maatta, like I said, they dont need to be 80pt studs, not world beaters, just guys good for the range of 25 goals and 60 pts, we have the assets and the money coming off the books to make some deals.

So, Jokinen.

You don't want reclamation projects or old players but want 60 point wingers, and obviously on the cheap.

How many teams in the NHL have, or will have, six 60-point top-sixers? The Hawks, and that's it? If they even do.

If BB can develop in to that for us, that'd be ideal, obviously. But rare is the team who has that many good top-6ers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
There is that Bennett guy. I wanted Stewart before the trade deadline, I wonder if we could do Sutter + for him, affordability and availability. Kesler would be expensive and Gillis. The other issue is that Kunitz will need to be replaced soon.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
No reason to break up Kunitz and Crosby when Kunitz has had the two best seasons of his career playing with Sid the past two years.

It's also a lot easier to find Sid one top line winger and Geno and Neal a LW that does all the little things than it will be to find Sid two top line wingers.

I think Bennett can at least be the guy that does a lot of the little things Malkin and Neal need on their line. Best case scenario he can do more and be a legit top line wing for Sid. I think he'll easily fill one of those top two line roles when healthy. It would be better if he can be Sid's winger since that just leaves having to find that complimentary winger for Malkin and Neal. Hopefully Kulemin will take a little less to come here. He'd be a good fit for that line.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to acquire a stud top line wing though. Those are hard to find.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
There is that Bennett guy. I wanted Stewart before the trade deadline, I wonder if we could do Sutter + for him, affordability and availability. Kesler would be expensive and Gillis. The other issue is that Kunitz will need to be replaced soon.

Exactly. Many seem to forget this. We need one top six winger now (or at least a tweener who's good along the boards for Geno) and we're going to need another one in about 2 seasons.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Exactly. Many seem to forget this. We need one top six winger now (or at least a tweener who's good along the boards for Geno) and we're going to need another one in about 2 seasons.

Yeah, which is why I lean towards getting a puck retriever for Geno now, getting Crosby's RW and then having Bennett replace Kunitz.

It's sad that I just don't bother to account for Shero drafting any wingers.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I want Bennett to pan out, but when you're talking "Top 6", you're not talking "Multiple broken wrists".

Still, I have hope, because we don't have anything else...

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It would be nice if Bennett's wrists weren't made of delicate china because then we'd only really need one.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Guys, what are the chances Kane doesn't re-sign in Chicago after 14-15? I mean the cap is going up but both he and Toews are going to command BIG money. My money would be on Chicago keeping their Captain but who knows.

IF (big IF) Kane were to hit the open market after next year, and we clear a lot of space out, is it feasible to sign a guy like Kane?

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Guys, what are the chances Kane doesn't re-sign in Chicago after 14-15? I mean the cap is going up but both he and Toews are going to command BIG money. My money would be on Chicago keeping their Captain but who knows.

IF (big IF) Kane were to hit the open market after next year, and we clear a lot of space out, is it feasible to sign a guy like Kane?

Only if Bylsma's gone.

I don't expect ANY Sochi player (aside from Martin/Orpik) to want to play for Disco.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Chicago not re-signing Kane? Incredibly improbable. Kane coming to a Bylsma coached team? Lulz. The Pens being able to afford Kane with Letang and Malkin's contracts kicking in when Chicago couldn't? No. Kane coming to whatever it is the Pens are? Unlikely.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

I don't see it happening. He's either going to chase the most money or take the best situation. Problem is we can't offer the most money and Chicago is a much better situation than we have to offer him in terms of winning championships.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Letang for Eberle, then sign Hemsky. Boom! Now if one of those guys can play LW, we would be set.

Eberle-Crosby-Hemsky
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
BB-Goc-Dupuis

Wont really need a 4th line tbh.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

Probably not, no. Some mediocre team will always be able to offer more than us, if he somehow doesn't sign with the Hawks.

And, no offense to Hikaru, I highly doubt a week with DB will deter anybody from signing here... even if DB's still around.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Wayne Simmons and Scott Hartnell would be great.

Of all the players to pick, you'd pick them? They were both, Hartnell especially, bad before they hit their stride halfway through the season. Hartnell's not the kind of player who's playing well until he's 40, he's slowing down sooner rather than later.

Simmonds on the other hand... would be great for us. Don't see us picking up a guy in this rivalry who literally came straight from the Flyers, although Asham did.

Really, if we get BB to stay healthy and work out for us, our top-six is as good or likely better than any other in the league. It's the bottom-six which has been ugly for us the past two seasons, this one in particular.

But yeah, if you're playing NHL 14, sure, it'd be nice to have Hemsky and Hossa or whatever.

QuesoFundido

Feb 6, 2014
Plannit Earf
P.Hornqvist, Justin Williams, P.A. Parenteau, R.J. Umberger, D. Perron, J.Eberle, A. Hemsky, K. Versteeg etc.....guys that can just play the position and have been proven to be productive in the right circumstance and still have gas in the tank, i think playing with the best player on earth and also being sheltered by a "2nd line" that can be outproduce any trio in hockey might be a pretty good recipe for success. I'm not loaded for bear, just guys that can hop right into a top 6 role and do it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
P.Hornqvist, Justin Williams, P.A. Parenteau, R.J. Umberger, D. Perron, J.Eberle, A. Hemsky, K. Versteeg etc.....guys that can just play the position and have been proven to be productive in the right circumstance and still have gas in the tank, i think playing with the best player on earth and also being sheltered by a "2nd line" that can be outproduce any trio in hockey might be a pretty good recipe for success. I'm not loaded for bear, just guys that can hop right into a top 6 role and do it.

Most of these guys are hardly 25 goal, 60 point players at this point. The difference between most of them and Jokinen or Dupuis in terms of production is negligible/hardly worth the trouble.

The majority of that list is very much "grass is greener".

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Most of these guys are hardly 25 goal, 60 point players at this point. The difference between most of them and Jokinen or Dupuis in terms of production is negligible/hardly worth the trouble.

Outside of Hornqvist and Eberle I don't have much of an interest in any of them. And even then, I'm not as in love with Eberle as much of this board is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Does this mean the difference between and some other 20 point per year player (say Tanner Glass) is negligible?

On the one hand, you want to argue that what Beau Bennett would add to the top six goes beyond the points.

On the other hand, you're now telling us about negligible differences between players who have comparable points.

So, which one is it?

FYI, I believe the former, because I'm interested in how pieces would complement one another. I'm not interested, for example, in how Malkin and Neal make Jokinen better. I'm interested in how what Bennett does out there can help to make Malkin and Neal better (it's why I'm a Kulemin proponent . . . points be damned, I want the guy who's most likely going to help Malkin elevate HIS game). But, what you just wrote here flies 180 degrees in the face of your faith in Beau Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad