I just had an idea, with respect to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
(A bit of a warning for length here...I want to do this post right.)

For a little while, I've been doing some thinking on how to make the Stanley Cup Final Championship Series a bit better, and after a bit of refining, I think I've happened on something.

As we know, that series is always played in the usual 18,000+ seat venues where each team involved plays their standard games. However, I also know that such demand for tix for that series is intensely high.

Well, what if there were a way to have more of them available? I think that's possible, but there's only one way I see it happening that way.

The way to do it, would be to turn that series into, in terms of size and scope, into the NHL's version of WWE's WrestleMania event. That is, to host the Cup Final in closed-roof football stadiums, with the ice in the middle of the building.

My idea would see an entry ramp for all the players to walk down attached to a large stage at one end of the building, where on the stage, during the 2nd intermission, a live band would play some songs for the crowd from Games 1 to 4, with those performances airing live on both CBC/Sportsnet and NBC.

The stadiums that would be used would be ones with either fixed roofs, or ones that could close. For Canada, they would be B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver, Rogers Centre in Toronto, and, yes, Olympic Stadium in Montreal. For the U.S., they would be venues like Safeco Field, the Superdome, Ford Field, U.S. Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Tropicana Field, AT&T Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, and whatever others exist in that fashion.

The venues would be assigned based on geographic distance(i.e. Montreal and Ottawa would be at Olympic Stadium, the Leafs at Rogers Centre, and the 4 West Conf. teams at B.C. Place, and the U.S. teams playing wherever they're closest to).

The ticket rules I'd use for this type of super-sized Cup Final series would be that all season ticket holders from both franchises involved would get to attend each game in both stadiums, with their airfares/trainfares, hotels, and meals paid for. The rest of the tickets would be split between more fans for each team and neutral fans, with all celebs and family members sitting in private boxes.

This type of Cup Final would, for lack of a better term, make the NHL a LOT of cash, and allow for the event to become a bit bigger in prominence. However, I'd also put the normal rinks the teams play in to work, setting up viewing parties for all games, and having regular activities for those places continue as normal, while the fans in those places would watch the games on the scoreboard screens, and also have some intermission entertainment for those arenas.

Would this sound like a good idea to anyone here?

=P

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
I live in the West. There is no way I could financially justify (nor would my job allow for it) me flying around cities multiple times in a 2 - 3 week span to see my team play.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wouldn't work. Football field is to big, like the Winter Classic/Stadium series sight lines would be horrific and fans way to far from the action for such a big game.

It works for Winter classic, due to the novelty of it all. But no one wants to watch the Stanley Cup in that environment.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't think this would have nearly the financial impact that you think it would. Going from an 18k seat local arena to an 80k seat neutral location would lower the ticket price significantly. Plus the league would have to rent the stadium space and time, and move all of the equipment and pay the crews to make it work.

It would also completely suck the atmosphere out of the games by pushing the crowd far away from the action.

It would disrupt the routine of the teams right when the games matter most.

You also couldn't possibly just shift the event to the closest regional facility depending on which teams are in the final, the location would have to be determined well in advance to make this work, similar to the Super Bowl or the Final Four.

It's an interesting idea in a fantasy world, but it would just never work in reality or have the intended payoff.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Honest question for the OP.

Have you ever been to a playoff game?

Follow up question. Have you ever been to an NHL hockey game? Specifically a sold out home game?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And you just expect the owners and the arenas (some which are owned by the owners others are close partnerships) to sign off on all that lost revenue from hosting your own Stanley Cup game?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wow, this is a bad idea on so many levels.

(1) Neutral site games just isn't going to work for the NHL like it does for a single game like the NFL's Super Bowl. The venues would have to practically give away the tickets if they wanted to fill up the stadium. Which comes to the 2nd point...

(2) The entire point of the current outdoor games is to overcharge the fans for bad seating too far away from the action. With little demand for tickets at a neutral site, who's going to pay for those overpriced tickets?

(3) The current outdoor games are a gimmick. Why would anyone want to turn the Stanley Cup Finals into the same thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Honest question for the OP.

Have you ever been to a playoff game?

Follow up question. Have you ever been to an NHL hockey game? Specifically a sold out home game?

The NHL is impossible for someone in my position to get to, even though I live close to Toronto. The ticket prices are prohibitively expensive for me, if they were available, which they're not.

o.o

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
The NHL is impossible for someone in my position to get to, even though I live close to Toronto. The ticket prices are prohibitively expensive for me, if they were available, which they're not.

o.o

I was not trying to be mean or talk down on you with my line of questioning.

There is nothing better in sports than a playoff game in your home arena. I figured based on your OP you hadn't been able to experience that, and I hope one day you do.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Compromise OP, what if SCF teams had the option to upgrade their venue to an indoor temporary surface in their local area.
The Nationwide tour would never work.

If teams had an option to upgrade to a 25000-40000 seat temporary surface, in their city, some might.

Than you have breech of contract and ice surface issues.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

o.o
They're readily available.

You're budget/finances are the issue .

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
(A bit of a warning for length here...I want to do this post right.)

For a little while, I've been doing some thinking on how to make the Stanley Cup Final Championship Series a bit better, and after a bit of refining, I think I've happened on something.

As we know, that series is always played in the usual 18,000+ seat venues where each team involved plays their standard games. However, I also know that such demand for tix for that series is intensely high.

Well, what if there were a way to have more of them available? I think that's possible, but there's only one way I see it happening that way.

The way to do it, would be to turn that series into, in terms of size and scope, into the NHL's version of WWE's WrestleMania event. That is, to host the Cup Final in closed-roof football stadiums, with the ice in the middle of the building.

My idea would see an entry ramp for all the players to walk down attached to a large stage at one end of the building, where on the stage, during the 2nd intermission, a live band would play some songs for the crowd from Games 1 to 4, with those performances airing live on both CBC/Sportsnet and NBC.

The stadiums that would be used would be ones with either fixed roofs, or ones that could close. For Canada, they would be B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver, Rogers Centre in Toronto, and, yes, Olympic Stadium in Montreal. For the U.S., they would be venues like Safeco Field, the Superdome, Ford Field, U.S. Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Tropicana Field, AT&T Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, and whatever others exist in that fashion.

The venues would be assigned based on geographic distance(i.e. Montreal and Ottawa would be at Olympic Stadium, the Leafs at Rogers Centre, and the 4 West Conf. teams at B.C. Place, and the U.S. teams playing wherever they're closest to).

The ticket rules I'd use for this type of super-sized Cup Final series would be that all season ticket holders from both franchises involved would get to attend each game in both stadiums, with their airfares/trainfares, hotels, and meals paid for. The rest of the tickets would be split between more fans for each team and neutral fans, with all celebs and family members sitting in private boxes.

This type of Cup Final would, for lack of a better term, make the NHL a LOT of cash, and allow for the event to become a bit bigger in prominence. However, I'd also put the normal rinks the teams play in to work, setting up viewing parties for all games, and having regular activities for those places continue as normal, while the fans in those places would watch the games on the scoreboard screens, and also have some intermission entertainment for those arenas.

Would this sound like a good idea to anyone here?

=P

how about no.

so Chicago has to go to Indy to play?
Boston has to go to Syracuse?
LA has to go to Phoenix?

you do realize that most NFL stadiums are not domes, right?

the entire point of a home Cup Finals game, is PLAYING AT HOME. You are making the Cup into 7 neutral site games with no advantage to the home team. No home crowd boost, no home ice advantage, no thanks.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You’d have to use the closest stadium to the home team (Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, MetLife for Rangers/Isles, Chase Field, UofP for Coyotes, Soldier Field, GR, Wrigley, for Hawks, etc.). Having it at a neutral site would be horrible. I’m not sure you could convince all these stadiums to be ok with it either.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
You’d have to use the closest stadium to the home team (Yankee Stadium, Citi Field, MetLife for Rangers/Isles, Chase Field, UofP for Coyotes, Soldier Field, GR, Wrigley, for Hawks, etc.). Having it at a neutral site would be horrible. I’m not sure you could convince all these stadiums to be ok with it either.

The reason I mentioned only indoor stadiums was for the purposes of preventing ice melt. In outdoor stadiums in the summer, the ice could not survive in playable condition, even at night.

Just using common sense there. =P

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The reason I mentioned only indoor stadiums was for the purposes of preventing ice melt. In outdoor stadiums in the summer, the ice could not survive in playable condition, even at night.

Just using common sense there. =P

except you arent.

closest dome football stadium:

Chicago - Indy - 185 miles
Boston - Syracuse - 311 miles
NY - Syracuse - 250 miles
LA - Phoenix - 375 miles
Vegas - Phoenix - 300 miles
Pittsburgh - Syracuse - 360 miles
DC to Syracuse - 370 miles

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
giphy.gif

FlyersFanSinceBirth

Jul 1, 2010
Better idea..... a new team in a city that would stay cold enough into the month of June. All their home games are played......OUTDOORS!!!!!

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I was not trying to be mean or talk down on you with my line of questioning.

There is nothing better in sports than a playoff game in your home arena. I figured based on your OP you hadn't been able to experience that, and I hope one day you do.

The highest level of hockey I've seen live games in was the American Hockey League, when the former Saint John Flames existed.

I used to live in that New Brunswick city until 2009, and saw a few games for that team, especially in their 5th season there(1997-1998).

The biggest game I got to be there for was the biggest game in franchise history...May 28, 2001's Game 6, where the Flames won their only Calder Cup.

Odd thing is, I actually got in without a ticket, because the League officials allowed me to be there as a special bonus fan...my only intent that day was to go around Harbour Station, and absorb the outside vibe of the buzz of the action.

Then, while leaving an office building there, one of those officials, who also doubled as my school principal, yelled my name(with me looking around kind of confused at the randomness of that, naturally), and asked me if I'd like to go to that game, to which I responded, word for word, 'If it's possible, sure!', then loaded my bookbag in his trunk, waited outside the building for 1 hour, and then got in at 6:30PM local time.

And after letting my mom know where I was, for things to be on the up and up with that, I settled in, and 3 1/2 hours later, the championship was being skated around the ice by the Flames, in front of the noisiest crowd in the 25 year history of that place.

And, yes, I was a huge Flames Fanatic then. It was easy to be one. XB

So, I've had a bit of a fill in that respect. Though, I do confess the NHL is a tempting thing to want to see live.

=P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad