I heard this board went nuts when Hartnell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
was traded? I know Facebook did, but heard people were on the verge of rioting here.

Hartnell wasn't my favorite player, but I warmed up to the doofus over the years. In truth, I wish we could have had both him and Umberger on the roster because they bring different things to the table and they could use the depth.

But the Flyers won this trade. They got cap relief sooner, a better defensive player, a guy who can play multiple positions, and takes less penalties. I will miss him, but this is not a game changer of a trade. They lost nothing significant.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The funny thing is most people here were fed up with him and constantly complained about him. As soon as he's traded though, suddenly he's this universally loved guy who was the ''heart and soul'' of our team. You couldn't find more than 2-3 people who were saying nice things about him before the trade (Im talking on ice things)

I agree. This was essentially a contract dump that needed to be done. Who knows how much lower his value would have gotten had Hexy waited a year. Umberger's contract isn't great of course but it's the lesser of the two. It was a good trade considering the circumstance. A circumstance Paul Holmgren put us in.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
was traded? I know Facebook did, but heard people were on the verge of rioting here.

Hartnell wasn't my favorite player, but I warmed up to the doofus over the years. In truth, I wish we could have had both him and Umberger on the roster because they bring different things to the table and they could use the depth.

But the Flyers won this trade. They got cap relief sooner, a better defensive player, a guy who can play multiple positions, and takes less penalties. I will miss him, but this is not a game changer of a trade. They lost nothing significant.

Did not hear that at all. This is a deal that short term may help CBJ. But I think this will help us more in more ways than one. Some of the younger players were influenced big time by Scott and this may do them more good than harm.

RJ8812*

well, there was some doofus that claimed Hartnell was the "heart and soul" of this team

I love the trade

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
You know... you could always just go and read the topic that was posted when he was traded.

It's literally still on the front page.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I was one of his critics, but I was just surprised, really caught off guard.

I was all for shipping Hartnell off, just not sure if Umberger was what I would have wanted in return.

I guess we'll see how it plays out this upcoming season.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I think most people were fine with trading him for value/cap reasons, but he really was one of the faces of the team. I'll definitely miss his character and off-the-ice contributions.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Nah. Some people were shocked. Then the rationale settled in.

Not even close to rioting.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Especially when our GM said he did not for see any big moves coming.

This isn't really a "big move" to be honest. It's only "big" because the guy was here a long time, not because we just traded Giroux or Lindros.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Did not hear that at all. This is a deal that short term may help CBJ. But I think this will help us more in more ways than one. Some of the younger players were influenced big time by Scott and this may do them more good than harm.

In what ways? What have you heard?

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
You know... you could always just go and read the topic that was posted when he was traded.

It's literally still on the front page.

Lecturing someone on how to behave the boards will not be tolerated. If I have a question or want to talk about something, I'm going to do it.

Plus, I'm kind of new here and the format is overwhelming. Cut a fella some slack.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
The funny thing is most people here were fed up with him and constantly complained about him. As soon as he's traded though, suddenly he's this universally loved guy who was the ''heart and soul'' of our team. You couldn't find more than 2-3 people who were saying nice things about him before the trade (Im talking on ice things)

I agree. This was essentially a contract dump that needed to be done. Who knows how much lower his value would have gotten had Hexy waited a year. Umberger's contract isn't great of course but it's the lesser of the two. It was a good trade considering the circumstance. A circumstance Paul Holmgren put us in.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think we have a certain type of fan who simply likes to complain regardless, as if it is fashionable or cool.

Brophy

Oct 18, 2007
Redondo Beach
Him getting traded hopefully makes him a better player automatically. Hopefully wakes him up a bit to go battle harder. Guy was floating like a turd full of fiber in the playoffs. I would have rather got a draft pick and some breathing room instead of Umberger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad