I have serious concerns for next year (2023-24)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mutual = both parties agree. Perry had to agree for his contract to be terminated. He could have said no and sat home while getting paid.

Obviously Reaves would have to agree. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.
I know what mutual means.
Where did you hear that? Doesn't say anything about him agreeing.

Can't see why Reaves would agree.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008

If his knees are a consistent problem then he’s ripe for “Robidas Island”. Stick him on permanent LTIR then plop him on the desk to bicker with Botterill every game.

Of course he’d probably have to agree to that. But I find it hard to believe he really thought he was going to play out his contract.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Mutual = both parties agree. Perry had to agree for his contract to be terminated. He could have said no and sat home while getting paid.

Obviously Reaves would have to agree. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.
A contract can be terminated mutually (both team and player agree to part ways, usually you see that when a player doesn't want to be in the minor leagues and wants to go to Europe, and the team agrees to let them go) or terminated, usually for a breach of contract (which is often behaviour-related or for a failure to report).

Perry was probably most definitely the latter, though sounds like he accepted it, so it was mutual in that sense, but it does not sounds like Chicago sought his permission.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Sounds to me like Perry agreed in order to avoid further embarrassment from the scandal. Enforcing something like a morals clause would have to involve the PA or some kind of hearing if Perry wanted to fight it.

Reaves might agree if he wanted to end his playing career.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sounds to me like Perry agreed in order to avoid further embarrassment from the scandal. Enforcing something like a morals clause would have to involve the PA or some kind of hearing if Perry wanted to fight it.

Reaves might agree if he wanted to end his playing career.
Yeah I didn't think he agreed or needed to, he violated his contract and it was terminated.

Can't see any way that makes sense for Reaves.

Reactions: BallardEra

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yes, rather than the minors.
Correct, but in that case Uncle Leo agreed to the termination. The difference is that in Perry's case I suspect that he simply chose to not object to the termination. Small distinction, but ultimately the same result.

As for Reaves, if this situation doesn't scream impending LTIR retirement, I don't know what does.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Correct, but in that case Uncle Leo agreed to the termination. The difference is that in Perry's case I suspect that he simply chose to not object to the termination. Small distinction, but ultimately the same result.

As for Reaves, if this situation doesn't scream impending LTIR retirement, I don't know what does.
Again, this was Tre’s plan all along, he’s a genius in disguise

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Which was my point.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I doubt very much Reaves could sign anywhere else for the money he gets here which is why he would never agree to a termination.
i think the poster said if he agreed to termination as a player, the leafs could just sign him to be the music guy or whatever they want to so he will still get paid but just not towards the cap so he would still get his money.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
i think the poster said if he agreed to termination as a player, the leafs could just sign him to be the music guy or whatever they want to so he will still get paid but just not towards the cap so he would still get his money.
Yeah, that's not realistic and would probably fall under cap circumvention.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I doubt very much Reaves could sign anywhere else for the money he gets here which is why he would never agree to a termination.
Apparently Komarov signed for about $1M to play in the KHL as opposed to getting $3M to play for the Isles minor league team.

(Then for the third year in a row his team lost in the semi-finals to the eventual Cup winner.)

Reaves wouldn't get it as a player, but I think the suggestion was to have him agree to terminate the contract and hire him elsewhere in the organization. Would he take a 5 year contract for $500K per, to work as a minor league coach or trainer or scout?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Apparently Komarov signed for about $1M to play in the KHL as opposed to getting $3M to play for the Isles minor league team.
He was only making 2m, and he had already been paid some of it. It was also a completely unique situation.
Terminating a bad contract and then hiring them into the organization would be seen as cap circumvention.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I thought I put my prediction here but I said even before the season started I predicted Toronto would lose in 5 and it won't matter who we play

I'm on track

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Good for you!

No one else on this board had concerns that this team still wasn’t good enough.

Luckily you pointed it out and then felt compelled to repoint it out.

Do you want your cookie now or later?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad