I have no clue on likely final standings for Pacific, and

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't believe the hockey analyst do either. Their reasoning on why is all over the map, particularly the negatives on each team. Additionally, I've never saw them as full crap to this degree before. This season is going to be the season of parity.

So, here's my best guess, and that's all it is... a guess.

1- Ducks, just because the herd mentality is to pick this team.
2- Sharks, because they kept themselves out of the playoffs last season, not other teams. Good news here is that it forced (finally) DW's hand to go out and actually do some good.
3- Flames, the magic trend continues but honestly I don't see anything separating this and next two teams.
4- Canucks, ditto
5- Kings, ditto
6- Oilers, this team will flirt with playoff standing but won't have the gas for the full season yet
7- Yotes, what can you say?

I don't see much separating the Ducks, Sharks, Flames, Canucks, and Kings from each other. That separation appears to be razor thin than in the past. They all have some holes to cover, but I do like the Sharks position as being far more well-rounded than in the previous couple of seasons.

The top keys for the Sharks are DeBoer who needs to stay away from the first year head coach blues and come out strong, and stay strong through the playoffs. The other top key is Martin Jones who must come out strong, and stay that way as well.

Martin has good form and I've been impressed with him in the pre-season, but those games don't count. And, he needs to stay away from injuries because without Jones, the other Sharks goalies will turn the Sharks into a 5th, 6th place team.

Another key I am throwing out there is Patrick Marleau, and the reason is that he will be treated like an elite forward which he no longer is. He does not appear to have the mental fortitude to bounce back from being on the 3rd line either. Therefore, he needs to step up his presence and productivity or accept a trade for a fresh start. Otherwise, taking ice time and a top winger slot will hurt the Sharks to some degree.

Sharks advance in 1st round, then exit in 2nd. That's my prediction prior to opening day.

What's yours?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Gonna guess now so I can look back at the end of the year and see how wrong I was

Ducks
Flames
Sharks
Kings
-----------
Canucks
Oilers
Coyotes

Edit: Lol, I see my picks were bold

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I literally didn't read your picks, that's what I've been predicting all summer in my head, lol

Great minds, 'n all that

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They set an NHL record going 33-1-7 in 1 goal games. They picked up 73 out of a possible 82 points in 1 goal games. 89% of possible points, that is simply not repeatable. Even if they got 67% of possible points last year, which is still an amazing record, they would have had 18 fewer points and would have been out of the playoffs.

The Ducks had the 3rd most points in the league, but the WORST goal differential of all playoff teams. They were lucky last year. Very lucky.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ducks
Kings
Sharks
Flames
---
Oilers
Canucks
Coyotes

I could be convinced of any order of the 2-4 teams. I think the Flames overachieved last season, but they also improved drastically this offseason. Canucks are just awful.

Wouldn't be a Sharks thread without a dig at Marleau's "mental fortitude" though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They set an NHL record going 33-1-7 in 1 goal games. They picked up 73 out of a possible 82 points in 1 goal games. 89% of possible points, that is simply not repeatable. Even if they got 67% of possible points last year, which is still an amazing record, they would have had 18 fewer points and would have been out of the playoffs.

The Ducks had the 3rd most points in the league, but the WORST goal differential of all playoff teams. They were lucky last year. Very lucky.

They were lucky the year before with their record after giving up the first goal. Knowing the Ducks, they will find some other unsustainable way to win games this year. It's been their trend.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I like where you have them at 4, I just don't see them cracking top 2

I dunno, I see us, LA, and Calgary as basically interchangeable. Especially if Bennett has a big rookie season. The Flames have very bad depth, but they have three elite D, and a top-6 including Monahan, Gaudreau, Hudler, Backlund, and Bennett isn't half bad.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's hard to argue against a team with three #1D.

I disagree.
Giordano-obvious 1D
Brodie-more of a high end number 2
Hamilton-definitely not 1D more of a 3-4D
Russell/Wideman-both 4D
Engelland-5/6D

I'll use our defense as a comparison
Giordano is a slightly better version of Vlasic
Brodie slightly better than Braun
Hamilton worse than Burns
Russell equal or worse than Martin
Wideman better than Dillon
Engelland better than Demelo or Tennyson

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I disagree.
Giordano-obvious 1D
Russell/Wideman-both 4D
Engelland-5/6D

Plus the fact that the Flames turned in the 16th best defense in the league on GA/G. It was their offense that outperformed at 6th best, tied with the Caps. IIRC, it was the offense that many were saying they are outperforming their advanced stats and would fall back down to earth.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I disagree.
Giordano-obvious 1D
Russell/Wideman-both 4D
Engelland-5/6D

Hamilton is a #3-4? You have to be kidding me. He was by far the best Bruins defenseman last year. And there's no way Burns is better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad