I had my neighbours car towed

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Aside from the fact that it could have been an accident?

We'll never know if it was an accident or not. It could have been or maybe not. Bottom line is that if you pay for a parking spot at your building, you expect to be able to use it. He was being inconvenienced. Whether it was intentional or not is not relevant.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Kind of hard to talk to a person when they aren't there.
I would just wait as long as it took to get ahold of him or her in person. Even if it's a week. Maybe it's just me but I think anything else is being a bit of a jerk. If you can't locate the owner at all and don't know who it is, then the option I am suggesting isn't really open.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Imagine if this guy got towed...

KMYLPmP.gif

:biglaugh:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I would just wait as long as it took to get ahold of him or her in person. Even if it's a week. Maybe it's just me but I think anything else is being a bit of a jerk. If you can't locate the owner at all and don't know who it is, then the option I am suggesting isn't really open.

Where would you park in the meantime?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The guy was clearly in his right to get a car towed.

It's his spot to use.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Where would you park in the meantime?
Down the street, two blocks away, five blocks away, . . . It wouldn't really matter. I like to walk a fair amount anyways.

In fact, I often prefer to walk over driving. It's just that (a) at a certain point, one is beating one's body down if one is walking too, too far and (b) it can take too much time.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Some people are far too precious over some things. On parking rights, they need to get over themselves.

I live where residential meets commercial and close to transport hubs, so there's huge demand for on street parking and lazy parking cops hang around for easy pickings.

I got a ton of off street parking, so it doesn't impact on me not being able to park, but I see a couple of neighbours who seem to delight in getting people towed if they can. Maybe they're two inches too close to the edge of their entrance, but they're not actually causing any blockage or inconvenience, rather they think their little empire extends beyond their front boundary.

I get some people parking in or across my entrance while they run somewhere for a couple of minutes. Do I give a ....? I can go live in the country if I don't like it.

If it's a habitual thing or someone deliberately and consciously parking where they shouldn't it's one thing, but it means some else had to walk an extra thirty feet?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If you have a reserved spot at your building, which a lot if people do, you should get to park there. If there's a garage and you can park wherever, then its first come first serve. It's like if you have a reserved spot at work with your name on it, you should get to park there, no? It's inconsiderate if anyone decides to park in a reserved spot that belongs to someone else.

I think a lot if people would be singing a different tune if they were inconvenienced that way, but if it doesn't affect them they don't care.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Regardless if there is a street sign indicating reserved parking or not, if you know it's the neighbor's car, it's possible to let him or her know prior to having the vehicle towed. Cities are just full of people and that requires a bit of flexibility like Goonzilla was saying. Punishment is more of a last resort. What's parking in Ottawa like? Seemed relatively normal and spacious when I visited there, including the downtown area.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
It has happened to me before, didn't have the person towed but it was super annoying for sure. Happened one time at my office in my specific spot but had the one next to me (also for my office) free so I took it and parked the person in to be a dick.

The spots were clearly marked reserved, was lucky we had an extra spot for visitors next to mine that I could use to park in. It's one thing if the spot isn't clearly marked, but at my old work there was plenty of parking some of it even closer to the door than my spot, you basically have to be a total dick to take one of the reserved ones when there's a second lot with plenty of closer empty spots that aren't reserved.

My parents had a neighbor do it at their condo too, they told the guy to gtfo and he whined about how their spot was closer for him etc. Guy was a total *****. Parking brings out the worst in people IMO.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Threads which had no posts in them from prior to [UNSPECIFIED AND ORDINARY DATE FROM FEBRUARY 2014] were deleted for the reason ChickenBurrito described. Despite this thread being one listed in the Lounge Manifesto it too was gone because it's in the Lounge and nothing important or worthwhile ever happens in the Lounge. It was from ~2013, not 2009.

The guy was a dick and deserved all the abuse he got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad