I feel that the Oilers are unfairly criticized for their drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This literally is what he had them doing, it was known as the "Eakins swarm" for a reason, he even spoke highly of it.
I guarantee you that whatever you think the "Eakins swarm" is, and your opinion on it, it was NOT telling the only 4 guys in the defensive zone to all awkwardly stand off to the side in a close circle barely moving and not engaging anybody or anything, watching a puck that's already gone while leaving the other team alone in front of an open lane to the net.

That is a failure of the players.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I guarantee you that whatever you think the "Eakins swarm" is, and your opinion on it, it was NOT telling the only 4 guys in the defensive zone to all awkwardly stand off to the side in a close circle barely moving and not engaging anybody or anything, watching a puck that's already gone while leaving the other team alone in front of an open lane to the net.

Naw, that was the game plan dude.

Aggressively attack the puck with various layers, to block off all outlet passes to the slot.

He really was that stupid. I kid you not.

Here's some quotes of his:
"Perfect game has no hits"

This was strategy #2:
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/...ice-from-nfl-cowboys-head-coach-jason-garrett

Other GMs chime in:
Major critique of Dallas Eakins: "His entire tenure there, it was a disaster," says former NHL GM

You can find video on TSN of how Eakins was never on the ice for Practice. He let his assistants run practice, while he watched drills from teh stands taking notes.

Reactions: dss97 and puckpilot

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Sure. But at some point that onus reverts back to the coach. If your system is not being utilized correctly by the players after the 4th game, then yes the players are failing. If your system is not being utilized correctly by the players after game 20 or 40, then you as a coach clearly have a poor message and the system is not relatable.

At some point it's on the coach to make sure the players are doing it properly or change his methods for teaching the system. You cant call the players failures after for implementing the system wrong after half the season. The whole point of coaching is to mould the players and have them working as a unit.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Regardless of the first round picks, how many oiler picks have played significant time for the organization? Very few. I would put money on they are bottom 3 in the league. You can scroll through lists over the last decade and very few players in rounds two or later have seen much ice time with the Oilers. They have been that bad. The fact they have been that bad is the reason they selected first overall in four of six drafts. If a fraction of their draft picks made impacts, or even contributions, they wouldn't be in the predicament they have been in. I think they are getting better at drafting but they still need some players to develop outside of the first round.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Lol

So the oilers are average at drafting in the first round when they have a top 10 pick but cant draft after that.

Ya no the oilers are horrible at drafting, whats the point of only looking at their top 10 picks? you have to intentionaly want to mess up to screw up a top 10 pick in todays nhl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad