GDT: (I Can't Drive) Game 55: Senators vs Coyotes - 2:00pm - BSAZ, ESPN 620AM

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Trade Schmaltz NOW! TODAY! He’s killing the tank!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Fun fun game! I’ve changed my mind about goalies. I’d pay the price for Knight. Wedgwood is meh. Veggie is meh plus. And what message was coach sending the Sens by pulling the goalie at 1:36 left?

Reactions: Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fun fun game! I’ve changed my mind about goalies. I’d pay the price for Knight. Wedgwood is meh. Veggie is meh plus. And what message was coach sending the Sens by pulling the goalie at 1:36 left?
Nobody is saying goalies aren’t important. The point is spending major assets on a goalie doesn’t make sense. The position is important but the goalie himself is almost always wildly unpredictable in terms to forecasting how any of them will grow into the position or adjust to the context of the situation. Look at the juxtaposition of the last two seasons of Darcy Kuemper vs Sergei Bobrovsky. But then look at how different those positions were just a few years before that. They’re all complete wild cards, and absolute rollercoasters. Save for the occasional (just a few per decade) outlier goalie that’s just elite consistently (these are basically only HHOF types).

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Hate to say it but there is something to it, but with a HUGE caveat of it working out well. Which no matter what you think is probably a 50/50 chance of working out. Swayman looks for real. Demko too, so I like who BA has his eyes on at least. It's easy to forget a top-end goalie like Quick or Lundqvist is very different than a guy who has 2-3 great years like a Murray.

Regardless, not what I would move Chychrun for, but if it were to happen at least the trade wouldn't be a loss until 5+ years later when you can truly evaluate the tender.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nobody is saying goalies aren’t important. The point is spending major assets on a goalie doesn’t make sense. The position is important but the goalie himself is almost always wildly unpredictable in terms to forecasting how any of them will grow into the position or adjust to the context of the situation. Look at the juxtaposition of the last two seasons of Darcy Kuemper vs Sergei Bobrovsky. But then look at how different those positions were just a few years before that. They’re all complete wild cards, and absolute rollercoasters. Save for the occasional (just a few per decade) outlier goalie that’s just elite consistently (these are basically only HHOF types).

Despite what I said right above, this could also be what kills BA. He my do everything right with this rebuild but his desire to get a top 5 tender may blind him on the value of other positional top 5 players. I don't want to have a team like Philly that gets top end talent in a forward group but is always chasing and over spending to fill the blueline or tender, but I don't think it's smart to be so proactive of avoiding his you act on it just to do so.

Or the best example is NJ giving up a pick that was Horvat for Schenider who they added waaaaaay before they needed too. I've loved about 80% of what BA has done, but this obsession of adding a goalie before a top C or keeping a top D makes me extremely nervous.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's too bad Schmaltz missed that chunk of time. Otherwise, based on the point projections, between he and Keller we'd be looking at the first two Coyotes to record 70-plus points in the same season since Roenick and Tkachuk in 2000-01! Also, the only time that has happened in franchise history (1996 onward).

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's too bad Schmaltz missed that chunk of time. Otherwise, based on the point projections, between he and Keller we'd be looking at the first two Coyotes to record 70-plus points in the same season since Roenick and Tkachuk in 2000-01! Also, the only time that has happened in franchise history (1996 onward).
And Chych could be our Teppo.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Today i played a stanley cup playoff game vs the kings (third round).
And i was 4:0 behindafter the first (simulated) and went on to win 4:5.

Well this is the same.

There's no shame in blowing a come from behind lead..... it's okay if you actually lost 8-5. We're here for you.

I just gotta tip my hat to Schmaltz. Setting that record, I always liked him I just want him to consistent.

I had forgotten his last injury was a cheap head shot by Ryan Reaves....

We were all quick to jump on the Schmaltz sucks bandwagon.

I suspect a lot of our complaints were tied to a drop off tied to coming back from a head injury.

Reactions: Hogan20

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Goalies are mercurial by nature.

Doesn't matter the sport. I was a lacrosse goalie (totally makes sense now, eh?)

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad