I can't be the only one enjoying hockey now

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
Honestly, I am enjoying the current level of hockey so much despite what many forum users think. I find that the game is so fast and every line is full of talented players because the game is so fast. Goalies are all just as skilled all while providing a diverse styles in terms of how they play. While goal scoring is down I dont think this is an issue because I watch the game enough to enjoy the other elements.I feel like this argument for needed to constantly get scoring like the 80s-90s is a step backwards, there was a MASSIVE skill gap at that point between top end players and the butterfly revolution for goaltending was still growing. I cant be the only one who enjoys the uber competitive era of hockey which resembles much less chaotic more structured game than decades past

(EDIT) took out piece on Bigger ice, figured it was taking away from the focus of just enjoying the game as it is

Last edited:

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly, I am enjoying the current level of hockey so much despite what many forum users think. I find that the game is so fast and every line is full of talented players because the game is so fast. Goalies are all just as skilled all while providing a diverse styles in terms of how they play. While goal scoring is down I dont think this is an issue because I watch the game enough to enjoy the other elements.I feel like this argument for needed to constantly get scoring like the 80s-90s is a step backwards, there was a MASSIVE skill gap at that point between top end players and the butterfly revolution for goaltending was still growing. I cant be the only one who enjoys the uber competitive era of hockey which resembles much less chaotic more structured game than decades past

The players are no doubt more talented than ever before but the gameplay is just too suffocating. It's a shame because the players rarely get the opportunity to showcase their offensive talent.

When it's possible to watch an entire period without seeing a single quality scoring chance, something is wrong.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
The players are no doubt more talented than ever before but the gameplay is just too suffocating. It's a shame because the players rarely get the opportunity to showcase their offensive talent.

When it's possible to watch an entire period without seeing a single quality scoring chance, something is wrong.

To me if any change is going to improve the game for the long term its ICE SIZE , the European game is so entertaining to watch and I feel like all these gear adjustments will only be temporary improvment until players adjust

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
To me if any change is going to improve the game for the long term its ICE SIZE , the European game is so entertaining to watch and I feel like all these gear adjustments will only be temporary improvment until players adjust

I think people here have actually said that increasing the ice size will only make things worse.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah.

450990.png

Flames in recent years have been one of the more entertaining teams in the league, so that helps.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
When watching other teams, i enjoy watching close games rather than blowout type of games. That is just me though.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
It will. Sochi proved how boring the best players on a large ice surface can be. Way too much perimeter play because of the defensive shell lesser skilled teams employed.

If more of the the top skilled players move to the nhl to fill out those bottom lines rather than the current plugs this is a non-issue.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If more of the the top skilled players move to the nhl to fill out those bottom lines rather than the current plugs this is a non-issue.

Doesn't matter how skilled players are. In the NHL, you play the coach's defensive system or you sit. You're never going to get an influx of less responsible players into the NHL.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

The Olympic teams were composed of 4 lines of skilled players. Outside of a few games, the teams sat back and played inside the dots on the European ice. It was pretty underwhelming compared to the excitement in Vancouver 4 years earlier on North American ice.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
It will. Sochi proved how boring the best players on a large ice surface can be. Way too much perimeter play because of the defensive shell lesser skilled teams employed.
There's less perimeter play in a bigger rink. Sochi is a bad example anyways, international games are super conservative because of a 1 game elimination system...

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
The Olympic teams were composed of 4 lines of skilled players. Outside of a few games, the teams sat back and played inside the dots on the European ice. It was pretty underwhelming compared to the excitement in Vancouver 4 years earlier on North American ice.

This Strategy would be deemed unsustainable I think, Look at Sochi's stats, 3 Dman in top ten scoring and ten players at PPG or Above, translate that to a 82 game season and you get higher scoring than the current NHL and coaches will be unable to just sit back and box style defense as there would be a significant increase in scoring from the point

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This is just a vocal minority in an​ echo chamber.

Usually with favorite teams that haven't got the necessary depth you need nowadays.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
Doesn't matter how skilled players are. In the NHL, you play the coach's defensive system or you sit. You're never going to get an influx of less responsible players into the NHL.

You will see an influx of better skaters, more play-makers since there where be less of a emphasis on hitting and physicality

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
A lot of great races going down the stretch, for sure. However, the game can be a lot better if they enforce interference like they are supposed to.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The speed is part of the problem when it comes to entertainment value. Watching players skating around quickly is not particularly entertaining, especially when they all play rigid system hockey. When the hockey is slower the players actually have to rely on their talent and creativity a lot more.

(EDIT) if there was to be one change it should be ice size, European game has many more quality scoring chances and the larger ice will end the gritty forth lines and more smaller skill guys will shine, also all these gear changes will be temporary until players adjust

The additional ice reduces scoring chances. Defencemen are further away from the goal, and players on the wall are completely not scoring threats. The smaller rink creates more scoring chances because players are forced to keep the puck closer to the net, where scoring is more likely to happen.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
bigger ice and refs not being lax on calling penalties as the rule book states will make it better, but loving the Leafs' style of play right now

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's been a good season but the lack of scoring is still an issue.

Big ice is boring.

Ideally they need to go back to making goalies be savers instead of blockers.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
You will see an influx of better skaters, more play-makers since there where be less of a emphasis on hitting and physicality

The hitting and physicality create more gaps. International play is characterized by less physicality, leading to less players who are out of position and a tighter slot as a result.

I agree the rink size needs to change, but unless you are proportionally increasing the size of the high chance scoring areas as well, you just create more dead space for offensive players to waste their time in.

There's this myth that more talent in the NHL leads to more scoring when historically the league scoring levels drop when talent is abundant. League scoring goes up when there's a larger talent gap between the scorers and the role players; right now scoring levels are comparable to the Original 6 era, which was the last time the NHL was so balanced top to bottom.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The Toronto vs. Boston game tonight is an absolute joy to watch, despite it being 1-1 currently. A majority of games are not close to this entertaining though, even though the Leafs are easily one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The hitting and physicality create more gaps. International play is characterized by less physicality, leading to less players who are out of position and a tighter slot as a result.

I agree the rink size needs to change, but unless you are proportionally increasing the size of the high chance scoring areas as well, you just create more dead space for offensive players to waste their time in.

There's this myth that more talent in the NHL leads to more scoring when historically the league scoring levels drop when talent is abundant. League scoring goes up when there's a larger talent gap between the scorers and the role players; right now scoring levels are comparable to the Original 6 era, which was the last time the NHL was so balanced top to bottom.

Precisely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad