I actually think Sweeney did good

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Hello boston fans,

Quebec Nordiques fans here ! :) (Following and cheering for the habs in the waiting tho:D)

I'm here to share my view on the Sweeney work. I think Sweeney did very good actually.

For the Hamilton trade, i know it is very disappointing for you the fans. But it is clear that the problem here wasn't Sweeney but Dougie Hamilton who wanted to play away. He refused a 5.5M offer from the Bruins yet he accepted 5.75M offer from CGY... Hate the trade, Hate Dougie Hamilton but i am pretty sure that Sweeney would have preferred to sign him to a 6 yers 5.75 contract. I think Sweeney got the best he could from that situation.

For all the others moves he did. He actually got a freaking return for Lucic (two 1st, Colin Miller and Sean Kuraly who will both probably be NHL players at some times)

I think Lucic, since 2 years, isn't the players he was., he ridiculised himself a lot with his nutshot and all his homosapians acting. The Bruins franchise don't need players who act like that.

For the Rinaldo trade, a 3rd in 2017 is a big price for Rinaldo but it is still a marginal assets, i think Rinaldo is a disturbing player and Sweeney wanted him to add some sandpapers to your line-up. No big deal here.

For the draft, saying that Barzal and Connor are better than the guy you draftedr according to list or report well. Lol nothing more to say.

I think the Bruins drafting department has made their proof (Bergeron 2nd round, Krejci 2nd round, Pastrnak 25th, Lucic 2nd round, Marchand 3rd round ETC.) and i am confident that you'll get some stud from all those draft pick.

I think Sweeney took a team where money is very badly invested and he looks like the right man to correct the situation.

He isn't 10% bad from what all HFBoards is claiming.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rinaldo has no place on this roster and will take a spot from 1 of our prospects, hate it, Philly fans are celebrating that their worst player got traded.

Hamilton deal was brutal and the players we got back are years away and when they are ready then bergeron+krecji are past their prime and chara+seids are gone, Rask at the end of his prime.

Lucic return was good but again the hamilton failure makes this look like a bad one.

Sweeney is saying we aren't rebuilding but we are building an improved playoff team, he traded 2 of our top assets/players and got no roster players back.

With all these moves we still don't have much cap space to fill the roster.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Hello boston fans,

Quebec Nordiques fans here ! :) (Following and cheering for the habs in the waiting tho:D)

I'm here to share my view on the Sweeney work. I think Sweeney did very good actually.

Thanks for the post; always nice to hear from fans far and away!!

I agree with you. I expect more to be done in the next few days; but what I've seen so far has been exciting.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for the post glad to hear it. I am one of the fewer pro Sweeney posters, I agree with a lot of what you said

iiBruins17*

i actually dont mind what he's done besides using all three 1sts

Hamilton trade - didnt like the player (I've posted about it plenty of times), not that great a return but if they weren't gonna match an offer sheet, we wouldve got a 1, 2, and 3 next yr so its decent if you like at it like that

Lucic trade - my favorite player of all time but a great return for a guy we wouldve lost in a yr. Two 1sts, Colin Miller, and another prospect? ill take that all day.

Rinaldo - Really like the player, hate the trade

Jones trade - really good return

McQuaid - LOVE McQuaid but about 750k-1m overpaid

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
^ I think he tried to trade up, but it takes two to make a trade. Teams didn't want to pass up on the high quality top 10 picks this year, quality > quantity

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I also think he did a good job with a bad situation. Hamilton wasn't signing here and was going to get an offer sheet. What we got was more than the compensation would have been. Lucic is a different story. I would rather have traded Krejci but if no one would give up what we got for Lucic, I'm happy. I think Rinaldo is Sean Thornton's replacement. He's not as good as Sean but.......... I'm also happy with the draft picks since they are all projects (not just ours).

BigBadBs4life

Jul 4, 2011
Halifax
First off Don inherited a cap strapped team with players that are over paid and over rated by some.
I like everything he has done besides the rinaldo trade the Hamilton trade yes he should have gotten more but he was backed into a corner really with the offer sheet threat which i really believe was coming.
Its clear of new managements focus draft and development are the key to success

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I can't blame him for trading Dougie anymore... But the return was absolutely horrific.

Draft is too early to make out. Who knows. But be certainly didn't play safe. Can only blame himself if they fail.

Lucic and Jones? Fantastic. Rinaldo, iffy, but it's a 3rd. Just puzzling.

I thought he was going to be a brainless moron. He's at least made some really good trades. It's gonna take him a while to redeem himself from that return, but I think he's lucky Hamilton basically suckered us. Public enemy #1 in Boston. Can't speak for everyone but i have confidence in him again.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I guess I have a little more confidence in him, after learning more about the Dougie situation.

But the Hamilton return and Rinaldo trade makes no sense. It still doesn't seem like he has a sense of direction.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Rinaldo has no place on this roster and will take a spot from 1 of our prospects, hate it, Philly fans are celebrating that their worst player got traded.

Hamilton deal was brutal and the players we got back are years away and when they are ready then bergeron+krecji are past their prime and chara+seids are gone, Rask at the end of his prime.

Lucic return was good but again the hamilton failure makes this look like a bad one.

Sweeney is saying we aren't rebuilding but we are building an improved playoff team, he traded 2 of our top assets/players and got no roster players back.

With all these moves we still don't have much cap space to fill the roster.

You need guys to sit in the pressbox and young guys are better in the minors than the pressbox.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
The Hamilton deal can no longer be labeled the 'Failed Hamilton Trade" under new light of the situation. You can't make a kid play somewhere he doesn't want to, and in that case, instead of getting a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for next years draft, we got a 1st, and 2 seconds in this years draft, Sweeney actually got the best return possible if people want to compare it to offer sheet compo.

The only question left to ask is why didn't he shop him around the league? And, I believe the answer to that would lie with Dougie and his manager, Sweeney isn't stupid enough not to shop him somewhere that has great players we could have got (Simmonds I believe could have been one of them), I think it was Calgary or Edmonton and for obvious reasons, Sweeney decided dealing with Calgary is more 'appropriate', that is the only logical reason to me as to why they wouldn't shop him league wide. Im sure Dougie may have wanted Toronto, but Bs might have said "You ain't signing in the East buddy"

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
The Hamilton deal can no longer be labeled the 'Failed Hamilton Trade" under new light of the situation. You can't make a kid play somewhere he doesn't want to, and in that case, instead of getting a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for next years draft, we got a 1st, and 2 seconds in this years draft, Sweeney actually got the best return possible if people want to compare it to offer sheet compo.

The only question left to ask is why didn't he shop him around the league? And, I believe the answer to that would lie with Dougie and his manager, Sweeney isn't stupid enough not to shop him somewhere that has great players we could have got (Simmonds I believe could have been one of them), I think it was Calgary or Edmonton and for obvious reasons, Sweeney decided dealing with Calgary is more 'appropriate', that is the only logical reason to me as to why they wouldn't shop him league wide. Im sure Dougie may have wanted Toronto, but Bs might have said "You ain't signing in the East buddy"
If Hamilton did not want to be here then why did it take Bs Brass so long to figure this out? Couldn't they put out feelers and start the process well before the draft and start of FA? Maybe have time to get a decent return? Smells of dodgy management.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If Hamilton did not want to be here then why did it take Bs Brass so long to figure this out? Couldn't they put out feelers and start the process well before the draft and start of FA? Maybe have time to get a decent return? Smells of dodgy management.

Why didnt Dougie just tell them at season end?
Smells of dodgy agent.

Especially since money wasnt a factor,

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015

Word from Treliving is they've been talking to Boston since the end of the season about Hamilton. I think it was more that Sweeney did everything he could to keep him which he deserves some credit for if true. Seems to be backed up by Dreger's tweet about multiple contract offers from the Bruins that were rejected.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Hello boston fans,

For the Hamilton trade, i know it is very disappointing for you the fans. But it is clear that the problem here wasn't Sweeney but Dougie Hamilton who wanted to play away. He refused a 5.5M offer from the Bruins yet he accepted 5.75M offer from CGY... Hate the trade, Hate Dougie Hamilton but i am pretty sure that Sweeney would have preferred to sign him to a 6 yers 5.75 contract. I think Sweeney got the best he could from that situation.

For all the others moves he did. He actually got a freaking return for Lucic (two 1st, Colin Miller and Sean Kuraly who will both probably be NHL players at some times)

I think Lucic, since 2 years, isn't the players he was., he ridiculised himself a lot with his nutshot and all his homosapians acting. The Bruins franchise don't need players who act like that.

For the Rinaldo trade, a 3rd in 2017 is a big price for Rinaldo but it is still a marginal assets, i think Rinaldo is a disturbing player and Sweeney wanted him to add some sandpapers to your line-up. No big deal here.

For the draft, saying that Barzal and Connor are better than the guy you draftedr according to list or report well. Lol nothing more to say.

I think the Bruins drafting department has made their proof (Bergeron 2nd round, Krejci 2nd round, Pastrnak 25th, Lucic 2nd round, Marchand 3rd round ETC.) and i am confident that you'll get some stud from all those draft pick.

I think Sweeney took a team where money is very badly invested and he looks like the right man to correct the situation.

He isn't 10% bad from what all HFBoards is claiming.

I just think he could have been wiser.

As far as Barzal is concerned he doesn't have a strong shot and what the Bruins lack are shooters. They have some centers to hold down the fort for a couple of years at least.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Why didnt Dougie just tell them at season end?
Smells of dodgy agent.

Especially since money wasnt a factor,

Definitely. Could you imagine the backlash Dougie would have gotten if he came out and just said I dont want to play for Boston anymore? The agent made it play out as if Boston were low balling Dougie when in reality all Dougie wanted was to A) Go back to Canada or B) Go anywhere but Boston. Now to me, he must have been copping it off someone or a few in the dressing room cos not liking your coach doesn't do this, and if it was a choice of Julien or Dougie you can bet your ass Clode would have been gone.

We may never know the actual facts, just stories, but he wanted to leave and the reasons why it just had to be Calgary will probably never see the light of day.

Im passionate about this team and well, if someone doesn't want to play here anymore? Then I'd gladly pack their bags for them, playing in Boston isn't playing for just any other club, and players don't appreciate that fact then adios.

Follix

Jun 27, 2015
Lucic trade is not that bad but Hamilton one is awful, it's basically trading an established #2 defenceman with the clear potential of being #1 for 3 unknown guys... Boston will be lucky if on of these prospects ever make the core of their team, let alone first liner or first pair defenceman.

And Zac Rinaldo really?

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Lucic trade is not that bad but Hamilton one is awful, it's basically trading an established #2 defenceman with the clear potential of being #1 for 3 unknown guys... Boston will be lucky if on of these prospects ever make the core of their team, let alone first liner or first pair defenceman.

And Zac Rinaldo really?

There is more to this story than we know.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Feeling a Bit Better Tonight

Given what has been revealed today per Hamilton (what the B's offered, what Dougie signed for, the fact that he apparently didn't want to pay here), and the total return for Lucic (two first round picks, two potentially very good prospects), I actually feel better today.

As befits the the stunning turn of events we witnessed in the span of 72 hours, I feel better this evening than I did this afternoon! ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad