Hypothetically, could the league survive without the Leafs?

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Leafs support the bottom 10 teams loses (possibly more?)

the league would go under without the leafs (unless they contracted teams)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I may be wrong but it was my understanding that during the lockout, revenue sharing was a big part of the picture for the less-wealthy teams. I think they wanted the top 5 teams (or just top teams) to share revenue with the less wealthy teams. So, as much as others fan-bases may hate us, we contribute a lot to the league through our own team.

Would the league survive without us? Yes. The NHL is striving, but back right after the previous lockout, or during the recession - I think the NHL may have had to relocate a couple more teams.

Delicious Dangles*

Yes, the league would obviously survive. Many of the fans of the Leafs would go on to be fans of other teams.

Their revenue/profit and their relevancy/popularity in the sports world would be smaller, but that's about it.

TheThrill81*

Knowing Bettman, he'd probably replace the Leafs with a franchise in Alabama.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tough to say. According to Forbes, the Leafs accounted for about 5.4% of the league's revenue last year. So I would assume that the cap would drop by about 5% (some of the slack would be picked up by fans shifting to other teams). However, revenue sharing would also drop a fair amount, since the combined revenue of the top 10 teams from drop from $1.126B to $1.071B, or about 4.9%. In the end, I think you would see similar results as what happened this year; basically the top 3rd of the league would be crammed up against the cap and have to shed some of their secondary players, the bottom feeders would get less from revenue sharing, but would be able to spend even less on salaries, and the middle teams would be stuck trying to find a balance between compensating for less revenue while staying competitive.

Keep in mind the salary cap is based on NHLPA (players only) 50% portion of total HRR revenue and your talking 5.4% of gross revenue belonging to the Leafs as a contribution. Only 1/2 of that would effect the cap limits or 2.7% the other 2.7% coming out of the owners pockets as lost revenue.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Just putting this out there and don't mean any disrespect to any of the other teams.

But out of the 4 professional sports leagues in North America, there just doesn't seem to be a single marquee team as crucial to the health of the league as the Leafs. Seriously after all the losing this team has endured in the past, its simply amazing that the ACC was always full of people. Without the Leafs, the league may have been on a level similar to MLS.

What do you think, not sure if anyone has the numbers to back this up?

the league woud fold ..no question plus about 100 hockey writers would out of work .yes thats how huge leaf nation is

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Sure it could surivive, but teams like ottawa, florida and the islanders sure as hell couldn't.

They should all kiss the ring as far as I'm concerned.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Factor in that Leaf fans wouldn't just magically disappear. Most would become fans of other teams throughout the league.

I'm not sure if I would, tbh. I might get back to watching CIS hockey and sticking to 'just' HNIC marquee games.

Lord knows I haven't watched baseball since the Expos left (and I was more of a Jays fan at the time), heh.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
NFL is doing fine without LA. Leagues just adapt, no city is bigger than the league.

Revenue streams etc would change slightly, people in toronto would watch other teams, just like pele in LA watch other football teams. The league would still be getting TV money from this market and if there was league a 30th team say in seattle and they earn half the revenue the Leafs do it would hardly make a difference to structure of the league.

Ace88*

Butterfly effects would ripple through the league. who knows how big or small they'd be, anything could happen. i think the stability would be compromised, and without anything to replace that much money, the league would definitely experience some serious difficulties but i dont think the nhl would break down entirely.

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
it's ridiculous to suggest that the league can't survive without the Leafs.
League hit would be more than the 5.5% Forbes suggests, as places like Buffalo and Florida are invaded by Leafs fans. TV money would probably take a hit as well. but overall, not a major change.

it'd be more interesting to see how the NHL would do without Canadian teams. that could actually be quite disastrous... any thoughts?

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Keep in mind the salary cap is based on NHLPA (players only) 50% portion of total HRR revenue and your talking 5.4% of gross revenue belonging to the Leafs as a contribution. Only 1/2 of that would effect the cap limits or 2.7% the other 2.7% coming out of the owners pockets as lost revenue.

It would still be 5.4%. It's not like all of the Leafs' $142M went towards the players (same goes for the rest of the league). All of the current values are based on 50% of the revenues, so you'd still have 5.4% less towards the salary cap and the owners would also lose 5.4% of what they made last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad