Hypothetical

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
If the Sabres were to buyout Jeff Skinner would/should the Hurricanes try to bring him back at a million a year to play on their third/fourth line and 2nd PP unit?

First let me say with a new coach and the possible trade of Eichel it is doubtful they would buy Jeff out. However, a buyout would be less than 2.5 million per year cost wise with the biggest cap hit next year. So it could be possible.

With that said, If Jeff wants to play for the Canes, If he feels he has something to prove. He could be a solid asset to the Canes for very little cost. At least, until our young prospects are ready for the NHL. I think it would be something the Canes should entertain, unless Rod says no. I don’t know if there was friction between the two prior to the trade or not.

Thoughts

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
giphy.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Skinner is not a Rod type of player. We also have to keep in mind that 18 y/o 63 point Skinner isn't coming back, doesn't matter if it's here, Buffalo, Toronto, Los Angeles, etc.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm happy with Skinner on the 4th line for $1 million x 1 year. Being bought out would be humbling and there probably isn't a coach in the world who knows him better than Rod.

I don't think there is any way he gets bought out.

I think that is a higher probability than Rod ever voluntarily constructing a fourth line with him on it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm gonna go ahead and say that if Buffalo is dumb enough to buy extremely high and then not even sell low but give away that asset for nothing, then I'd say I'd kick the tires.

But that's not going to happen until at least 2023. I looked at CapFriendly just for shits and giggles, and he hasn't even collected his whole signing bonus yet. His 2022-2023 year is $2.5m salary and $7.5m bonus, which means they basically wouldn't get any cap relief at all for that year from a buyout.

If they can't trade him -- and I don't think they can even if they retain -- then I think they ride it out until after the 2023 season, get that last signing bonus off the books, and see where they're at.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Not sure why every one has always been so down on Skinner. I get he doesnt back check like ever, but he is good at takeaways and while back checking can clog up an offense stripping the puck stops it. And he actually did that pretty well, if I remember correctly his last year here he was second in the league in takeaways. Anyway I also agree that his Canes ship has sailed and he is not a fit for RBA's team play style so I would pass.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
If the Sabres were to buyout Jeff Skinner would/should the Hurricanes try to bring him back at a million a year to play on their third/fourth line and 2nd PP unit?

First let me say with a new coach and the possible trade of Eichel it is doubtful they would buy Jeff out. However, a buyout would be less than 2.5 million per year cost wise with the biggest cap hit next year. So it could be possible.

With that said, If Jeff wants to play for the Canes, If he feels he has something to prove. He could be a solid asset to the Canes for very little cost. At least, until our young prospects are ready for the NHL. I think it would be something the Canes should entertain, unless Rod says no. I don’t know if there was friction between the two prior to the trade or not.

Thoughts
Stopped reading at Jeff Skinner returning to the canes.

Reactions: DaveG

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Not sure why every one has always been so down on Skinner. I get he doesnt back check like ever, but he is good at takeaways and while back checking can clog up an offense stripping the puck stops it. And he actually did that pretty well, if I remember correctly his last year here he was second in the league in takeaways. Anyway I also agree that his Canes ship has sailed and he is not a fit for RBA's team play style so I would pass.

Because he is a perpetual like -25? The dude is a literal -129 over his career. He is he least defensively responsible guy in the league.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Because he is a perpetual like -25? The dude is a literal -129 over his career. He is he least defensively responsible guy in the league.

Ugh! The most useless stat in the history of stats. More things out of the control of the player effect the +/- not sure why people even care about them. The fact that he played on Canes teams that had bad defense's and mediocre goalies had more of an impact on that then Jeff Skinner did.

Reactions: mikeyfan

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ugh! The most useless stat in the history of stats. More things out of the control of the player effect the +/- not sure why people even care about them. The fact that he played on Canes teams that had bad defense's and mediocre goalies had more of an impact on that then Jeff Skinner did.

It's bad as an absolute stat, but useful as a relative stat. When your +/- is good or bad compared to everyone else on that team, that's meaningful.

Reactions: mikeyfan and DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It's bad as an absolute stat, but useful as a relative stat. When your +/- is good or bad compared to everyone else on that team, that's meaningful.

It can be an additive piece of info, but without his line mates and team mates +/- both with him and without him in front of each goalie and defense pairing they played with and against lines he played against its pretty hard to take much stock in it.

Reactions: mikeyfan

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Skinner worked as hard as anyone on this team. His problem was never being smart about it defensively. He would get sucked out of position trying to help and his guy would shake loose. He had horrible puck management from the tops of his circle to the far blue line and needed a center to carry the puck through that part of the ice. That's where he was actually "bad" at defense...puck management. He'd leave the zone with one hand on his stick and lose the puck to the d backing off - that guy would pass it up and the pressure would be right back on us. Eventually they would score and if you took it back far enough you'd find Skinner losing a puck he shouldnt have lost. He actually did a decent job in his own end if he didnt puck watch and get sucked in deep. I dont want him back because his time here is just over, I want him to be successful elsewhere and hopefully for a fan base that eventually appreciates him which is where I'm getting to be with Dougie.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I would have no problem bringing Skinner back if I were in charge, but I'm not and it seems to me like the folks who are in charge had some sort of personality clash with him that would make them loathe to do that. I still enjoy watching him play but it seems like that train has sailed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad