Speculation: Hypothetical

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Which of the following situations would you rather see, assuming for the sake of the exercise each would be possible in spite of realistic chances?

Again, let me stress I want an answer to the question as asked. Obviously if the team were to regress after B it wouldn't be worth it. I wanted B to be suggestive that they would not.

A: Sabres finish last in the league, draft McDavid/Eichel. Players perform as befitting a last-place team.

B: Sabres win their division in a non-fluke, sustainable for future development fashion and lose in the conference finals. Grigorenko/Ristolainen/Girgensons/Larsson take great leaps, Enroth solidifies himself as starter material, etc.

Assume Islanders/Blues picks remain the same for each scenario.

e: full disclosure: I go into this expecting McDavid to deliver on his hype.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I take the realistic scenario

A)

To expand.

We don't have a team that will ever be capable of winning the Cup ..even if all the players we have as of right now hit their ceilings.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I take the realistic scenario

A)

To expand.

We don't have a team that will ever be capable of winning the Cup ..even if all the players we have as of right now hit their ceilings.

not sure how you don't see how bright the future is for the sabres coming from an outside perspective.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Tim Murray of all people should know that option A is better. The Senators were set up to go through a 2-3 year rebuild much like he wants to do in Buffalo. Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson threw a wrench into that plan and now the Senators are in trouble because Bryan Murray thought they were much better than they really are and decided to go all in much sooner than he should have. They don't have a 1st this year, they are going to lose Spezza for less than what he should be worth and will likely have to give up assets to replace him anyways. They are going to have to overpay Bobby Ryan or risk really putting that organization into the dump. And to top it off they will likely be just average enough this year to be drafting in that dreaded 10-14 overall territory.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Tim Murray of all people should know that option A is better. The Senators were set up to go through a 2-3 year rebuild much like he wants to do in Buffalo. Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson threw a wrench into that plan and now that Senators are in trouble because Bryan Murray thought they were much better than they really are and decided to go all in much sooner than he should have. They don't have a 1st this year, they are going to lose Spezza for less than what he should be worth and will likely have to give up assets to replace him anyways. They are going to have to overpay to Bobby Ryan or risk really throwing that organization into the dump. And to top it off they will likely be just average enough this year to be drafting in that dreaded 10-14 overall territory.

Again, this isn't really a comparable based on the question being asked

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Again, this isn't really a comparable based on the question being asked
It is. The Senators had that same leap in growth in 2012 that you mentioned. The group for Buffalo you mentioned is simply not good enough of a group to be satisfied with no matter their growth much the way the Senators were/are. Sustainable growth or not you aren't building a contender with just those players the same way Erik Karlsson is obviously not a fluke.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It is. The Senators had that same leap in growth in 2012 that you mentioned. The group for Buffalo you mentioned is simply not good enough of a group to be satisfied no matter their growth much the way the Senators were/are. Sustainable growth or not you aren't building a contender with just those players the same way Erik Karlsson is obviously not a fluke.

It doesn't really fit the question because everyone and their mother in that organization regressed the next year. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough in the OP, so I added a bit about assuming they wouldn't suddenly fall off the face of a cliff relative to their performance in that season. It's more along the lines of 2013 Habs.

I'm not going to ask people if one year of playoffs and then trash again is worth passing up McDavid. Have a bit of faith :laugh:.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
So the options are A in reality or B in a fantasy world while the players are better than they actually ever will be.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What's the purpose of the hypothetical? Is it supposed to reveal something about the individual who answers?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If it's truly sustainable, then you have to go with B, because it's more of a guarantee this team will be a contender than B not happening and then getting McDavid ever would be.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I voted A
Because if The players we have now are capable of B, then A only makes it better

ZeroPT*

honestly, what's the point?
A is much more likely than B to happen. Every team would love if B happened, it won't though.

Not sure what the point is.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
What's the purpose of the hypothetical? Is it supposed to reveal something about the individual who answers?

I think it's revealing more about the OP when I read the responses. Trying to sell B a little bit? :biglaugh:

It's A for me.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I think it's revealing more about the OP when I read the responses. Trying to sell B a little bit? :biglaugh:

It's A for me.

It has to be a legitimate choice. Rightly or wrongly, the cult of McDavid has a strong grip on the entire NHL's fanbase and I'm curious as to how good B would have to be to break the thrall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad