Hypothetical Trade/Thought Exercise

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There's not much reason for Buffalo to trade for Logan as a center I think. They've got a pretty bright future down the middle.

Oilers would probably like him a lot, but it would instantly make them a dangerous team...probably, they've proven everybody wrong before. Then that 2015 draft pick wouldn't be very useful.

Anyways, I wouldn't trade Logan for two firsts. Three high firsts maybe like Buffalo's pick this year+next year's pick+Islander's pick. Then again, what's the point if they can just draft that franchise center anyways.

Whoa whoa, I don't think Logan is worth three firsts, that's a lot dude. Kessel got traded for TWO firsts and he's a 40 goal scorer who will average at least 70-80 points and even that was debatable if he was worth what the Bruins traded for him (correct me if I'm wrong but I think there were other picks or players involved in that trade, were there?) so to say Logan might be worth three is definitely too much for him. I can see that you aren't saying he is for sure worth three picks so that's fine but if Kessel fetched two picks and is a 40 goal scorer and will average 70-80 points then it would be pretty whack for Logan even with the potential he has to fetch three firsts when he's still yet to even hit the 70 point mark (not saying he won't). I would say Logan is probably worth two picks but he'd have to at least be packaged with a couple of low-mid ranged prospects in my opinion.

As for the OP's question, I'd have to say no because I think the Oilers will be better next year and if one of those two doesn't come last then we ain't getting Mcdavid because the team with the 1st overall pick would not trade it to us if they're coming last place because they'd be hoping for a hero and be stupid not to take the guy who's "supposedly" the next Crosby and if we did trade for that pick we'd have to give up a lot so trading Couture and who knows what else for Mcdavid, that could be rough especially if Mcdavid flops or isn't as good as people think he will be. Also we'd have to REALLY hope that the Oilers or Sabres pick not being the 1st overall pick we get would be someone who turns out to be as good, if not better than Couture and to be honest, I don't know prospects too well so I don't know what the odds of that are.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Whoa whoa, I don't think Logan is worth three firsts, that's a lot dude. Kessel got traded for TWO firsts and he's a 40 goal scorer who will average at least 70-80 points and even that was debatable if he was worth what the Bruins traded for him (correct me if I'm wrong but I think there were other picks or players involved in that trade, were there?) so to say Logan might be worth three is definitely too much for him. I can see that you aren't saying he is for sure worth three picks so that's fine but if Kessel fetched two picks and is a 40 goal scorer and will average 70-80 points then it would be pretty whack for Logan even with the potential he has to fetch three firsts when he's still yet to even hit the 70 point mark (not saying he won't). I would say Logan is probably worth two picks but he'd have to at least be packaged with a couple of low-mid ranged prospects in my opinion.

As for the OP's question, I'd have to say no because I think the Oilers will be better next year and if one of those two doesn't come last then we ain't getting Mcdavid because the team with the 1st overall pick would not trade it to us if they're coming last place because they'd be hoping for a hero and be stupid not to take the guy who's "supposedly" the next Crosby and if we did trade for that pick we'd have to give up a lot so trading Couture and who knows what else for Mcdavid, that could be rough especially if Mcdavid flops or isn't as good as people think he will be. Also we'd have to REALLY hope that the Oilers or Sabres pick not being the 1st overall pick we get would be someone who turns out to be as good, if not better than Couture and to be honest, I don't know prospects too well so I don't know what the odds of that are.

When Kessel was traded he was a one way 30 goal winger with potential for more. I probably wouldn't trade 3 firsts for Couture either but I was kinda working under the assumption that Couture changes the team he goes to will vastly improve as well. He's on pace for 70ish points this year, a former 30 goal scorer, and he's also a great two way player. He's got potential for more but if he absolutely turns around the team he goes to, it could be 2 mid 1sts and a high pick.

Plus, the Kessel trade could've gone either way. It just happened to become two high 1sts rather than two low firsts.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

And I think the Oilers have systematic problems that Logan Couture couldn't possibly solve.

One thing to consider is Logan's season thus far has been a disappointment. Sure he might turn it around, but perhaps he is more expendable then some of you think. He definitely isn't the most important forward to the Sharks this season; that would be Marleau.

To bring an outside perspective, there wasn't very many takers from the arm chair GMs on the main board.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And I think the Oilers have systematic problems that Logan Couture couldn't possibly solve.

One thing to consider is Logan's season thus far has been a disappointment. Sure he might turn it around, but perhaps he is more expendable then some of you think. He definitely isn't the most important forward to the Sharks this season; that would be Marleau.

To bring an outside perspective, there wasn't very many takers from the arm chair GMs on the main board.

You're also asking a bunch of fans who are attached to players and love picks. Not exactly mind blowing stuff considering this sites obsession with picks and prospects.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Couture is a known-quantity, signed to a good contract, in the prime of his career, and is playing for a team whose future is NOW.

Moreover, Couture is one of the best three-zone players in the league.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
So we trade couture for 2 picks that we'd hope to be as Couture someday?

And hope they sign contracts as fair as couture's?

No thanks jeff

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

I'm not sure his season is a disappointment. He's still on pace for around 70pts. Which to me is slight underachievement but not disappointment level. Also he just needs to score a goal or two soon and should be racking up points again once that monkey is off his back.

Having said that I do agree with what you said about him maybe not being as untouchable as some here think. It's pretty apparent he's not quite elite yet, like a marleau or Thornton, and reality is he may never be. It's why I argue so fervently that he's not yet surpassed Thornton as this teams new leader. He just hasn't yet.

I still wouldn't trade him for the package in the op because we do know he's an amazing player and picks are a crap shoot. Now if the package was for sure going to give us mcdavid I'd be all over it. However it's not so I'd rather keep a 70+ point player we all love, over a couple possibly high picks that could very easily wind up not better than cooch and hurt the team right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad