(Hypothetical). Pittsburgh chooses Fleury over Murray. whats the current bracket look like?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
when Fleury played for Pittsburgh, everyone stated that he was their weakest link
now when we talk of Fleury, he's some kind of God
this is funny to me

Me too. He's having a great season for sure. But it's as if everyone has forgotten his playoff blunders from 2010-2013.

Reactions: Pens x

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
when Fleury played for Pittsburgh, everyone stated that he was their weakest link
now when we talk of Fleury, he's some kind of God
this is funny to me
Yea, lots of Pens pie in the sky wish casting and dreaming. Which is it? Good or Bad, he had a nice share of good, and a lot of really bad play at times. Penslose all day or is it Penswin? :sarcasm:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Matt Murray is better than Fleury. We know, we've seen Fleury for years. The difference is Vegas insulates Fleury whereas Pittsburgh's system leaves the goalie a bit more vulnerable and requires a lot of big stops.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
We have no idea what MAF would of provided. He could of **** the bed vs. Philly or put up a Smyth performance.

94AE7CD1843E14F7A164E78ABDC0D5.jpg

???

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Fleury is only this good so he can stick it to the Pens for sending him to a sports psychologist.....

Does Vegas really play defensively better than the Pens? Their forwards backcheck more aggressively but how much better do we really think their D-core is?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I've said it before, but I think Matt Murray is a better fit for the Penguins style. Murray absorbs pucks well, has good rebound control and takes better angles. MAF has slightly inferior technique, is by far the more athletic goalie. I still wonder how good MAF could be right now if the Pens had a proper goalie coach with him from the time they drafted him. With a sound, structured defense in front of him to limit chaos and clear pucks, MAF can and is shining. The Pens don't have that so Murray has to be that stabilizing force.

Murray is also stronger mentally, and that is the key. MAF put a lot of pressure on himself to win in Pittsburgh, trying to live up to the high fan expectations, his status as a former #1 overall and his previous success. He often got in his own head. I'm not sure the MAF we see in Vegas right now would be the same MAF we would see for Pittsburgh. He needed a change of scenery.

I think the Pens and the Knights both got the right goalie, which is great.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Pens would still be out. As to Vegas, Fleury seems to have gotten new life with the team, not quite sure Murray would have got the same results had he gone there instead of Fleury.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Who knows how the Pens are doing. You never really know what you’ll get with Fleury, there’s no telling if he is able to replicate his current form playing behind a different system in a slightly more wide open conference.

As for Vegas so long as Gallant was there they were making the playoffs this year. they wouldn’t have gotten past the Sharks in round 2 without Fleury though.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
No. MAF had his chance for years with the Pens. Who knows, being the favorite with expectations is what he couldn't handle.

I'm happy with however things turned out, and honestly ecstatic for him! No second guessing!

Besides, we have other goalies in the pipe should Murray falter years from now, but let's be realistic here and not pin the entire loss on Murray.

That's true, Crosby really shit the bed with that turnover.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I love MAF, but the defense that was played in front of Murray was just as bad as some of the goals Murray let in.

I think a fresh start did a lot for him.

I don't think goaltending was the reason the Pens lost to the Capitals. It certainly did help, though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Maf had a great year but hard to see that year happening in Pittsburgh. Vegas is a deep team that plays aggressive, committed team defense.

Pittsburgh is a high octane team that tries to outgun you. Not an environment conducive to good goalie numbers, especially not this year where our team defense was worse than it was the past two years.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
The Penguins just clinched their SC Final berth in 5 games. Awaiting opponent from the Jets-Sharks series.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
With Fleury, the Pens get bouned in round 1.
Maybe he'd even lose his starting job against a Vokoun-type of goalie again, lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Wow, it's almost like Vegas has a better team than Pittsburgh this year. Crazy, huh?

Did you even watch the playoffs this year? Honest question. The Penguins lost in the 2nd round because Letang's pair was bleeding high danger chances and the Penguins couldn't get any goals from their bottom-9. Oleksiak is the only player who wasn't on the top line that got an ES goal in that round.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pittsburgh's system is very, very different than Vegas's system, so you can't just assume he's going to be this amazing behind a lesser defensive team focused on transition offense...plus he'd do nothing to quell the fatigue concerns.

This wasn't the Penguins year, oh well. After back-to-back championships I'm not about to pitch a fit because our ex-goalie has a chance to win a third straight, I'm just happy for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad