(Hypothetical). Pittsburgh chooses Fleury over Murray. whats the current bracket look like?

JackFrost

Feb 18, 2018
Are Vegas in the playoffs at all? How far do they get? Are they still in the Conference Finals?

Would Pittsburgh still be alive?

How does everyone think this changes the league?

Murray has looked pedestrian all year while Fleury has looked amazing for the expansion franchise. Pittsburghs overall team is much better than last year, but the main difference was Pittsburgh had Fleury who was amazing(side from games 5 and 6) and stole that series from the Caps despite the team being vastly inferior to a superior Washington team. This year it was the reverse with Pittsburgh having the better skaters, but inferior goaltending. the goaltending won both years.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
MAF has been terrific but he only played just over half the games for Vegas in the regular season so yes I'd say they're at least still a wildcard team.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Are Vegas in the playoffs at all? How far do they get? Are they still in the Conference Finals?

Murray has looked pedestrian all year while Fleury has looked amazing for the expansion franchise. Pittsburghs overall team is much better than last year, but the main difference was Pittsburgh had Fleury who was amazing(side from games 5 and 6) and stole that series from the Caps despite the team being vastly inferior to a superior Washington team. This year it was the reverse with Pittsburgh having the better skaters, but inferior goaltending. the goaltending won both years.

1) Maybe for Vegas

2) Pittsburgh still loses to Washington. Gave up far to many high danger chances, Kessel is injured and played like it, and Letang played like crap. Cant blame Murray when the other team has 3 times as many odd man rushes and breakaways as you do.

Reactions: Vegeta

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Basically the same outcome.

Blaming Murray for the playoffs is nonsense. The team in front of him didn't have the fire that the last two teams did. We also had a lot of brain farts to brain damage, especially the D. Sully made some coaching mistakes. Outside of Sid and Jake, nobody really showed up. We looked gassed. Injuries also probably impacting Malkin, Hags, Kessel, Horny and Brassard.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Depends... is Letang also still on the Pens in that scenario?

JackFrost

Feb 18, 2018
MAF would've stood no chance behind the defense the Pens iced these playoffs.

And that's no knock on him. Murray wasn't great, but acting like MAF would've won this series is not a narrative I can support.

The Penguins defense is better than it was last year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Fleury looks amazing because Vegas plays 4 lines that play committed team d and their defense as a unit is twice as good as ours.

Maf with our d would look maybe slightly better than Murray at best.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Cut Murray some slack.

Name me one goalie who came up as a 21 yr old, took the reigns and never looked back without any adversity.

Goalies always go through growing pains. Just because Murray has won 2 cups doesn’t mean he’s immune.

As far as this playoff series go MAF in net doesn’t change the fact that Caps wanted it more. 2 cups did its thing. Heck, i think it’s good that the Pens lost. I want to see them rejuvenated and with something to prove again. As the ol’ saying goes, its tough to be hungry when you have your stomach full.

I think Murray’s tough year lined up pretty well, as this season never felt like it was going to be the Pens year regardless who is in net.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I dunno.

Fleury seems like a nice guy and i expect any fan around the league (outside of teams he's facing) is likely happy for the guy finding success this year. But he hasn't exactly been Mr Reliable in his time in Pittsburgh in the playoffs. He had great runs, but also horrendous ones.

If Fleury plays the way he is today on Pitt than sure, of course they're in round 3. But that's not a certainty at all.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
MAF would've stood no chance behind the defense the Pens iced these playoffs.

And that's no knock on him. Murray wasn't great, but acting like MAF would've won this series is not a narrative I can support.
Murray was the #1 one responsible for the Pens loss. He let in many weak goals. The first one last night was the latest example. Defense aside, which sucked, 5 levels down from last 2 years....the Netminder is paid to stop it. If it goes in it's all his fault. Remember these words, they are most important!! :sarcasm:

Reactions: JackFrost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad