Hypothetical: Penguins 1st rounder?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be furious if we traded down again.

Try to trade up, if not, make the pick.

Depends on different factors - ie how deep the draft class is.

But, abstractly speaking, you're actually more likely to get an impact NHLer with 2 2nds than with a mid to late 1st round pick.

Given the quantity of Leaf picks this draft I won't be surprised though to see the Leafs move up - yet I also won't be surprised to see hem trade back.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Make the pick if someone good falls to it, otherwise trade up and grab someone who has fallen there. Barzal fell to 16th, its possible that someone like Sergachev is still floating around at 13 or 14.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
100% trade up. We have all the depth assets we need. Our prospect pool is full of it. High end talent is what makes and breaks good tanking. If we can get into the top 12 and draft a Finn+Juolevi+carter hart or something..daymnnn

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
With all of the picks Toronto is accumulating, I could see them trying to move up if the Penguins pick is around 20-25. If it is in the 16-19 range I doubt they would look to move any higher

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That pick is likely going to be right where a really good player slides. Think last year with Barzal. Seems to happen every year. Hopefully one those top 3 defenders makes it that far.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
100% trade up. We have all the depth assets we need. Our prospect pool is full of it. High end talent is what makes and breaks good tanking. If we can get into the top 12 and draft a Finn+Juolevi+carter hart or something..daymnnn

It's not like we have to pick up guys with low ceilings after the top 10. 3 boom-or-bust 2nd round picks is more likely to turn up a top pairing D than a mid 1st. It depends on what the scouts see, if they're sure they're getting a Maataa-calibre guy around 10-15 then yeah they should make the pick, but if the choice is between 1 maybe or 3 maybes, trading down makes sense.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
Would love to see this pick and a 2nd rd pick (not the 31st I want Carter Hart if he's available) maybe even a 4th rd added to move up and get a chance to draft MIKE McLEOD or MIKAIL SERGACHEV. I have Sergachev ranked just ahead of Chychrun, just my preference. Chychruns skating is really the difference, amazing speed... but Sergachev looks more versatile. I'm happy with either or.
SHoring up defense is a priority...
Rielly Hunwick
Gardiner Ziatsev
Loov Sergachev (Chychrun)
Marancin (Cowen)
Looks like a good yng corps with Percy still a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad