Hypothetical Offside Goal Situation

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I wanted to share a crazy scenario that, although highly improbable, is still plausible and offers up a pretty mind-bending paradox.

Picture this: a game is in overtime, and Team A crosses the blueline on a play that is blatantly offside, but the offside call is missed by the linesman. Team A proceeds to shoot the puck toward the net, but a defending player on Team B makes a great play to clear the puck away from the goal line. Team B proceeds to clear the puck (nullifying the offside challenge that could have ensued), but before any stoppage occurs Team A comes back down and scores a goal to win the game.

Through the commotion, the officials review the earlier play that occurred at Team B's goal line and discover it may have actually crossed the line. For reference, thinking about the Campoli OT incident where he scored two goals on the same play, the initial shot was reviewed, and once it was determined that the first shot was in, the scoring play was adjusted accordingly. As such, I assume this earlier play would have to be reviewed, to see whether it had gone in?

This is where the wrinkle comes in; because the play leading to that first theoretical goal was offside, if that goal stands up, Team B will undoubtedly challenge for offside, win the challenge, and the play will be reset; this would nullify not only the first goal, but also the second goal, because technically the play would have stopped after the offside and no further action would have transpired. HOWEVER, if the goal line play under review didn't cross the goal line, the play would have continued as normal, the potential offside review would have been nullified once the puck left the zone, and therefore Team A's follow-up goal would have counted.

Therefore, if I'm getting everything correct here, this creates a situation where the implications of this potential goal review are as follows: if Team A scored on this play by the goal line, the game will continue from the point at which that play went offside (following the coach's challenge), but if they did not score on this play, they win the game because the follow-up goal they scored will stand up.

Am I getting all the details right here? Any thoughts, comments, or clarifications? I just felt like I had to share this with the world.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
woah... that's actually f***ed.

So, like the Campoli goal they would go back to review the first one despite the game appearing to be over since it could potentially change the scoring play?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I wanted to share a crazy scenario that, although highly improbable, is still plausible and offers up a pretty mind-bending paradox.

Picture this: a game is in overtime, and Team A crosses the blueline on a play that is blatantly offside, but the offside call is missed by the linesman. Team A proceeds to shoot the puck toward the net, but a defending player on Team B makes a great play to clear the puck away from the goal line. Team B proceeds to clear the puck (nullifying the offside challenge that could have ensued), but before any stoppage occurs Team A comes back down and scores a goal to win the game.

Through the commotion, the officials review the earlier play that occurred at Team B's goal line and discover it may have actually crossed the line. For reference, thinking about the Campoli OT incident where he scored two goals on the same play, the initial shot was reviewed, and once it was determined that the first shot was in, the scoring play was adjusted accordingly. As such, I assume this earlier play would have to be reviewed, to see whether it had gone in?

This is where the wrinkle comes in; because the play leading to that first theoretical goal was offside, if that goal stands up, Team B will undoubtedly challenge for offside, win the challenge, and the play will be reset; this would nullify not only the first goal, but also the second goal, because technically the play would have stopped after the offside and no further action would have transpired. HOWEVER, if the goal line play under review didn't cross the goal line, the play would have continued as normal, the potential offside review would have been nullified once the puck left the zone, and therefore Team A's follow-up goal would have counted.

Therefore, if I'm getting everything correct here, this creates a situation where the implications of this potential goal review are as follows: if Team A scored on this play by the goal line, the game will continue from the point at which that play went offside (following the coach's challenge), but if they did not score on this play, they win the game because the follow-up goal they scored will stand up.

Am I getting all the details right here? Any thoughts, comments, or clarifications? I just felt like I had to share this with the world.

If something happened during overtime, play would not continue. The NHL war room would call down to the penalty box and they would blow the horn and stop play. It would be reviewed by the war room before the puck was even cleared the first time.

Also, coaches can't challenge in OT. It's all on the NHL.

slashtrey

Baller
Dec 23, 2011
If something happened during overtime, play would not continue. The NHL war room would call down to the penalty box and they would blow the horn and stop play. It would be reviewed by the war room before the puck was even cleared the first time.

Also, coaches can't challenge in OT. It's all on the NHL.

Got any examples of this happening?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Chances are this situation would never occur. The War Room is constantly monitoring games. Anytime the puck comes near the net, they automatically review the goal, even while the game is ongoing. If they see that the puck has crossed the goal line and play is still continuing, they call the time-keeper who will immediately signal the ref to stop the play.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Chances are this situation would never occur. The War Room is constantly monitoring games. Anytime the puck comes near the net, they automatically review the goal, even while the game is ongoing. If they see that the puck has crossed the goal line and play is still continuing, they call the time-keeper who will immediately signal the ref to stop the play.

In the case where it clearly goes over the line, but it isn’t seen live (like going off the back crossbar and immediately back out) that’s easy to stop play.

On a case where it may or may not have gone in, it’s much harder to justify, especially if a dangerous chance is happening.

Anyway I was actually thinking of something similar, although the second team switches.

Team A crosses the line really right and get a shot on goal, it trickles to the line and it looks like the Team B defensemen clears it off the line. Ref live calls it no goal and play continues.

The clearance goes almost immediately to a forward on Team B who is springing the zone and ends up on a break burying a wrister. Since it happened so fast, the war room had no chance to blow the play dead ahead of time.

Team B is going nuts as they just won the game.

War room reviews and see that the dman didn’t actually clear it off the line, but it snuck a millimeter over. Team A goes nuts thinking they won.

Then they review offside and find out that team A was actually offside. Play resets to that point.

Both teams now have to go back to playing after being convinced they won the game.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No, it would not...

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I dont think the situation room would call down for the play described though, I think the idea is it's so close that it's a very long review so it is plausible that goal #2 could be scored before play is stopped for goal #1 if the situation room even looks at it at all

Reactions: izlez and kk87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad