Hypothetical Offersheet

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
This is mainly a question for Avs fans, but let say that the Avs didn't match the offer sheet for ROR and instead received four 1st round picks instead how would you have used those picks ? imagine the 2013 draft, 2 top ten picks, a top 5 pick in 2014 and a good shot at a top 10 pick in 2015 and 2016.

in 2013 you guys could have had
Mackinnion
Monahan or one of Nurse and/or Ristolanen

In 2014 you would have had
Bennett

just curious who would the Avs have wanted

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Calgary would have done substantially better with ROR in the lineup rendering this exercise futile. As well they would have likely taken a different approach to team building knowing they did not have their 1st round picks.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Calgary would have done substantially better with ROR in the lineup rendering this exercise futile. As well they would have likely taken a different approach to team building knowing they did not have their 1st round picks.

true, but while ROR is a good player i doubt he could lead them to pick outside of the top ten.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

ROR likely would not have improved the team that much in 2013. It was a short season already, they signed him mid-season and from my understanding they would have lost him on waivers anyways because he played overseas after the start of the season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Had that happened, let's say no one wanted to call Pierre out of a nap, my dream scenario would have been taking MacKinnon and trading up for Jones, but that's pie in the sky stuff.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Four firsts was not the compensation at the time, it would have been a first and a third I believe. The contract AAV was only 5 million.

Ok, let's suppose the Avs had #1 and some other top 10 pick. Jones and Monahan makes sense from a team needs standpoint. But I do believe they felt MacKinnon was clear BPA and still would have taken him, maybe Morin or Morrissey as the second pick. I don't think Nurse is their type of player, just my opinion. Roy did say he purposely wanted to wait and get a D in the second but I don't know if they would have stuck to that plan if they had two high picks. I agree, if they could have grabbed MacKinnon and Jones that probably would have been their best case scenario. There never really was any talk about who else they liked in the draft so I don't really know. They tend to go for CHL players with high picks. Their MO is high character, compete, skill, and Sakic/Roy were looking for players with size ever since they took over. For this year they probably would take Bennett as BPA but they were looking for a larger right shot forward, maybe Virtanen enters the picture with a top 10 pick.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I

O'Reilly would not have helped the flames get better. He would have been on the blue jackets (?) after he went through waivers

To answer the question would have hoped we traded up but I don't think that would have happened. At 6 would have wanted a defenseman

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hypothetically, if the Flames didn't get better and the compensation was a 1st and a 3rd and we were picking where the Flames did in 2013, I'd take MacKinnon and Monahan. I'd play out the season exactly the way it went, with the only difference being trading Ryan O'Reilly for a package involving a defenseman who is young and left-handed. Not sure who that would be so I won't even bother, but the forwards heading into next season ideally in my opinion would look like this:

Tanguay-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Monahan
McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
Talbot-Cliche-Winchester

Monahan and MacKinnon interchangeable at C and RW, with Monahan taking the majority of the defensive zone face-offs

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think 4 first round picks would have been the compensation but since we're "hypothetically" speaking i'll try it out.

The Avs were 3 points (i believe?) ahead of last place in the league the day Calgary sent the offer sheet. Colorado would have waited the 7 days and then declined to match. Colorado then would have went on to lose every game over those 7 days falling to last place in the league where they would go on to claim O'Reilly from waivers from Feaster's dumb move.

Then with out draft picks we would have selected Darnell Nurse in 13, Bennett in 14 and McDavid in 2015 because **ck it ...

Then guys like O'Reilly, Stastny, Barrie and newly signed UFA and PAtrick Roy Superfan, Alex Radulov sign sweetheart deals because they know this team will b e a dynasty for years to come.

Then let's not forget our 2015 free agent sweetheart signing Marc Staal

It eventually leads us with a 2015-16 roster like this:

Radulov - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Mcdavid
O'Reilly - Stastny - Bennett
Mcginn - Anybody - Anybody

Staal - Johnson
Nurse - Barrie
Bigras - Siemens/Elliott/Redmond/Holden

Varlamov

Of course this is all just hypothetical..

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I don't think 4 first round picks would have been the compensation but since we're "hypothetically" speaking i'll try it out.

The Avs were 3 points (i believe?) ahead of last place in the league the day Calgary sent the offer sheet. Colorado would have waited the 7 days and then declined to match. Colorado then would have went on to lose every game over those 7 days falling to last place in the league where they would go on to claim O'Reilly from waivers from Feaster's dumb move.

Then with out draft picks we would have selected Darnell Nurse in 13, Bennett in 14 and McDavid in 2015 because **ck it ...

Then guys like O'Reilly, Stastny, Barrie and newly signed UFA and PAtrick Roy Superfan, Alex Radulov sign sweetheart deals because they know this team will b e a dynasty for years to come.

Staal - Johnson
Nurse - Barrie

Varlamov

No way in hell is that cap compliant :laugh: Edit - NM...maybe it could be with all the ELCs

Nice to think about though. I also dont think the league would have let the ROR situation screw Calgary like that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No way in hell is that cap compliant :laugh: Edit - NM...maybe it could be with all the ELCs

Nice to think about though. I also dont think the league would have let the ROR situation screw Calgary like that.

When you count in the rising cap, Radulov, Barrie, Stastny and O'Reilly who all agree to 3 million dollar contracts and Mackinnon, Nurse, Bigras, Bennett and Mcdavid who are on their entry level deals I think we would fit in well.

You just have to beliece, Avs For Life.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
When you count in the rising cap, Radulov, Barrie, Stastny and O'Reilly who all agree to 3 million dollar contracts and Mackinnon, Nurse, Bigras, Bennett and Mcdavid who are on their entry level deals I think we would fit in well.

You just have to beliece, Avs For Life.

I want to believe but...

O'Rubles and $tat$ believe otherwise :laugh:

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I would've traded up for Drouin, not Jones or traded that pick for a more established young LHD. Then again at this time last year Barrie wasn't really a factor in my mind and EJ had just come off a 4 point season. So realistically they could have used any dman. Glad they gave them a chance to shine...

I still think ROR could be worth some of those young kids cap space aside. I'd still roll the dice on Drouin. It'd be so cool to have him playing with Mac again.

Tangs-Dutch-Iggy
Landy-Mack-Drouin

That's phenomenal but Duchene doesn't deserve that lol.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado

Staal - Johnson
Nurse - Barrie

Varlamov

And with that lineup and the egos involved avs fail to make the playoffs! lol

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
true, but while ROR is a good player i doubt he could lead them to pick outside of the top ten.

I could be wrong about this but Iginla was still on the Flames when ROR signed the offer sheet and they were still in playoff contention. The Flames could be in a very different spot if they got O'reilly.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
ROR likely would not have improved the team that much in 2013. It was a short season already, they signed him mid-season and from my understanding they would have lost him on waivers anyways because he played overseas after the start of the season.

I agree with this, even if Calgary didn't lose ROR to waivers. We added him, and we still finished in 2nd last place overall.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I agree with this, even if Calgary didn't lose ROR to waivers. We added him, and we still finished in 2nd last place overall.

However I think the team was more talented than it's record and what was dragging it down was an apathetic front office and bad coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad