Hypothetical: First ballot HOFer scenario

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Here's a hypothetical that I think this board should be able to answer much better than the main NHL board (if this isn't the right place to post this feel free to move to NHL board).

Say the following players all retire in the same off season (we will pick the 2025 off season as an arbitrary year):

Crosby
Keith
Toews
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Price

And say all of them have the same career accomplishments they do now except Price who in this scenario wins a Stanley Cup and Smythe between now and then. All stay relatively healthy and put up numbers based on them ageing at a normal rate between now and retirement.

Who do you think should be a first ballot hall of famer and who do you think will be a first ballot hall of famer?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin 100% guaranteed (I know everyone likes to talk about the top 100 list from nhl and that's cute, but Malkin is a shoe-in here).

Probably Toews next, but could be one of the others. All of the others after the top 3 are in a different tier, so it matters less imo if they wait a here. Reputation would play a big part in giving Toews the edge here. Who "should" - same thing, top 3, and a 4th. 4th matters less, flip a coin.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Does anyone know the voting procedure for the HOF? Is it a Yes/No selection for every eligible player or is there a set number of players to be named with any specific weight given for ranking?

What I’m getting at is that essentially that 4th spot would be between 3 Blackhawks and Price, yes? Would vote splitting potentially result in Price getting selected or perhaps no 4th player due to a logjam of candidates?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin 100% guaranteed (I know everyone likes to talk about the top 100 list from nhl and that's cute, but Malkin is a shoe-in here).

Probably Toews next, but could be one of the others. All of the others after the top 3 are in a different tier, so it matters less imo if they wait a here. Reputation would play a big part in giving Toews the edge here. Who "should" - same thing, top 3, and a 4th. 4th matters less, flip a coin.

This is pretty well where I'm at too.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin are the first three for sure. No arguments here. After that, you have to think of the media love Toews gets, so it would be him. This would be a lot like the 2004 or 2007 HHOF inductions. All inductees retired three years earlier and the HHOF simply felt they all deserved it right away, which they did.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I wouldn't rule out the HOF deciding to induct Crosby and Ovechkin together in their own class, the two famous faces of their generation, pretty much linked from start to finish. The next year they go with Malkin and the Blackhawks trio. I don't think Price would be so overwhelmingly strong a candidate that he couldn't wait a couple years to spread things out.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
I wouldn't rule out the HOF deciding to induct Crosby and Ovechkin together in their own class, the two famous faces of their generation, pretty much linked from start to finish. The next year they go with Malkin and the Blackhawks trio. I don't think Price would be so overwhelmingly strong a candidate that he couldn't wait a couple years to spread things out.

So who will be the other two inductees if not Malkin + some of the already mentioned is going to get in that year?

Malkin, Ovechkin and Crosby is first ballot no matter which year they retire.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 year waiting period was waived for Crosby

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't be surprised if NBCSN petitions for Toews to be inducted while he's still playing. To describe how overrated he is would require the pen of Shakespeare or Tolstoy. I'm simply not a good enough writer to even try.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Does anyone know the voting procedure for the HOF? Is it a Yes/No selection for every eligible player or is there a set number of players to be named with any specific weight given for ranking?

What I’m getting at is that essentially that 4th spot would be between 3 Blackhawks and Price, yes? Would vote splitting potentially result in Price getting selected or perhaps no 4th player due to a logjam of candidates?

Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Selection Commitee

Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - Election Procedures

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So who will be the other two inductees if not Malkin + some of the already mentioned is going to get in that year?

Malkin, Ovechkin and Crosby is first ballot no matter which year they retire.

No other inductees, just Ovechkin and Crosby. The HOF is not compelled to induct the maximum, even if there are four or more obvious candidates.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin either way. I would pick Keith as the fourth. I think that the committee would pick Toews as of right now but potentially Kane down the road.

Reactions: Iceman

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Like most of you said Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin for sure.

4th should be Kane I think. Has a more impressive resume than Toews. Just wonder how much a factor the media love for Toews would be in the voting.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Yeah but they'd want Malkin in there too. He's more linked with Crosby than Ovechkin. They've won three Cups (so far) together. These are two centres that may not quite be Gretzky/Messier but are at least Sakic/Forsberg or Yzerman/Fedorov type of legacies, if not better by now. Maybe they don't have a 4th one in there, but if those three retire the same year, they are in right away.

By the way, an unpopular opinion, but with what is going on with Price and such right now is he even a lock cinch to get in the HHOF? I think on projection for sure, but if he retired today?

Impossible right now. Gretzky was announced as the last one this would ever happen to. I don't know why they did this with him though. It isn't as if Bourque, or even Jagr or Hasek weren't good enough for the requirements (judging on the ones they let do this before).

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Here's a hypothetical that I think this board should be able to answer much better than the main NHL board (if this isn't the right place to post this feel free to move to NHL board).

Say the following players all retire in the same off season (we will pick the 2025 off season as an arbitrary year):

Crosby
Keith
Toews
Ovechkin
Malkin
Kane
Price

And say all of them have the same career accomplishments they do now except Price who in this scenario wins a Stanley Cup and Smythe between now and then. All stay relatively healthy and put up numbers based on them ageing at a normal rate between now and retirement.

Who do you think should be a first ballot hall of famer and who do you think will be a first ballot hall of famer?

should be Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Keith

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kane will make it over Toews and Keith. Kane will finish with a ppg pace matched only by Malkin, Ovi, and Crosby from this generation. 3 time Cup winner, Conn Smythe , Art Ross, and likely greatest American player of all-time, if you think the HOF is going to keep him out first ballot you are nuts.

It would be Ovi, Crosby, Kane and Malkin - anyone suggesting Keith or Toews over Kane are delusional and haven't watched a Hawks game in years. 88 carries this team on his back and has for years, and the drop off in play from Keith and Toews the past 2 years has been real bad, while Kane still is Kane. the disdain both Keith and Toews get on our own board by those who follow this team game in and game out is telling enough of their play the last 2-3 years...

Kane is so under appreciated on this board..yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmu84

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
Kane absolutely should get in before Toews in this scenario.. But i am afraid Toews gets in first

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
OV, Sid and Malkin. None of the above would be inducted is my best guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad