Hypothetical 2020 Olympics - Does Carey Price make team Canada?

Would Carey Price make a hypothetical Team Canada 2020 roster for Olympics?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hypothetical scenario. There is a Winter Olympic games in 2020, starting next month, and the NHL is participating. Team Canada is building their roster this week, and making personnel decisions.

Assuming everyone is healthy (don't know if any top goalies are injured, but if so, ignore injuries) - do you think team Canada picks Price to the team? Keep in mind i'm asking would Team Canada pick Price - not if you think they should pick Price, if you feel differently.

Feel free to rank who you think would be the top 3 goalies selected, in order, and where Price fits in, if at all.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
It’s a weird time for Canadian goalies where there’s no standouts. Obviously there’s guys like Kuemper and Binnington having good seasons, but I’m not sure how much Team Canada management would value recent success versus easily recognizable names like Price or Holtby or Fleury.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think so, but I don't think he would be the clear starter. Camp/round robin would probably determine that. Price still looks the part technically and had a solid season last year, and while his numbers aren't great this year, he's been good more often than not, it just seems like he's had too many bad games bringing down the numbers (as opposed to say, Martin Jones, whose been consistently poor). Like a Doughty, I think the assumption would be that he'd do better in a better situation as well.

Part of it is competition too. Canada's not in a great place in net right now. Holtby hasn't been at his best the last couple years outside of the cup run either, Murray has been poor this year, and Crawford hasn't been the same since his injuries. Binnington has been good, but I'm not sure if he has the body of work for Team Canada to trust him or not. Kuemper has been great this year but I can't see half a season pushing him into the team. Fleury has only been average this year. Hart is really young. I'm thinking it's between Price, Holtby, Binnington and Fleury, with Hart maybe being taken as the 3rd string for future tourney experience. I can maybe see a Binnington, Fleury, Hart combo, but I doubt it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My gut was no, but after looking at the list of choices, he'd potentially be on it. I'd expect Binnington to be the starter, with a couple vets as the backups.

The Big Swede13

Sep 2, 2019
In front of a terrific team like TC I would definately say its his job to lose with Fleury and Binnington backing up

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Binnington, Holtby, Price as the top 3. Fleury might also be somewhere in contention. I think Price would make the team on reputation, but you wouldn't want him as the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad