Proposal: Hyman to DET as a UFA

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah considering that Werenski is LD, And if we trade Hronek then it's basically Seider and possibly Stecher and Lindstrom for our RD. So how's that a improvement?

I don't think it's worth the time to explain to you how the team improves in this scenario, regardless of having a replacement for Hronek, but let's give it a shot.

Nobody is saying that you can't also dabble in free agency, but the trade by itself is already a win. If you bail on the trade because you don't have Seth Jones or Dougie Hamilton, you're just being a shitty GM. Getting one high end player for two good players at probably a lesser cost is just good business. Werenski is a better defender, better at even strength, a better powerplay quarterback than Hronek, and would be the only lock top of the lineup LD in the organization. He fits the age of the core. This would be the move I would make in place of paying a ton of money or even having to make a trade to acquire Jones or Hamilton.

The goal isn't to race to the finish line and fork over every cent of cap space we have. It's to build something sustainable, which means being calculated in where you spend your money, how much you spend, and spending it at the right time on the right players. Passing up on talent consolidation because you don't have a replacement second pairing defenseman? Yikes.

Reactions: Coach Reggie Dunlop

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Frankly, I think people are putting too much stress on this LD and RD thing. If we can get a better RD than Seider or Hronek... we're not overloaded on RD. If we can land Werenski, Werenski is going to be a better player that damn near anyone remotely realistic for us to acquire. The Wings aren't in a place where we should be getting choosy about what bad ass piece we add. If the best player at #6 is a RD? I take that RD 100 times out of 100 and find a way to make it work with that guy, Seider, and Hronek. If it's Wallstedt, I find a way to make the goalie room work. There are only like ten guys in the league where I would say "I'm not taking a specifically handed D or a C because I've got this guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Frankly, I think people are putting too much stress on this LD and RD thing. If we can get a better RD than Seider or Hronek... we're not overloaded on RD. If we can land Werenski, Werenski is going to be a better player that damn near anyone remotely realistic for us to acquire. The Wings aren't in a place where we should be getting choosy about what bad ass piece we add. If the best player at #6 is a RD? I take that RD 100 times out of 100 and find a way to make it work with that guy, Seider, and Hronek. If it's Wallstedt, I find a way to make the goalie room work. There are only like ten guys in the league where I would say "I'm not taking a specifically handed D or a C because I've got this guy.

Same. I am really not that opposed to taking Clarke at 6. Look at Tampa Bay with Hedman, Sergachev, and McDonagh on their left side.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hyman screams Abdelkader/ Lapointe to me. I don't want piano guys that line up with elite players, especially when we don't have any elite players. It's one of the reasons I'm ok potentially moving Bert for that matter. Unless you are in Stanley Cup contender mode and you are willing to sell the long term for the short, those guys often end up being bad contracts after a year or two. Guys that rely more on motor and grit tend to break down pretty quickly once they hit their early 30s. They are also the kind of guys that help put you over the top for a cup run, so worth it if you are in that area but definitely not for the Wings.

Wings should avoid basically all of the mid range guys at forward. If you want a forward they either need to go for bargain basement vets (for mentorship) or go for real stars. The middling players are how you get into cap trouble, and the Wings haven't even established a core yet. Plus we have Veleno/Ras/Zadina/Raymond/Smith/Berggren all knocking at the door for spots or more playing time.

More lenient on D and goalie as we will need a starter and our D pipeline is still a few years away outside of Seider. So if they want to sign a top 4 dman to a 3 or 4 year deal, I'm totally down if they don't get one Hughes or Powers in the draft.

Reactions: njx9

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hyman screams Abdelkader/ Lapointe to me. I don't want piano guys that line up with elite players, especially when we don't have any elite players. It's one of the reasons I'm ok potentially moving Bert for that matter. Unless you are in Stanley Cup contender mode and you are willing to sell the long term for the short, those guys often end up being bad contracts after a year or two. Guys that rely more on motor and grit tend to break down pretty quickly once they hit their early 30s. They are also the kind of guys that help put you over the top for a cup run, so worth it if you are in that area but definitely not for the Wings.

Wings should avoid basically all of the mid range guys at forward. If you want a forward they either need to go for bargain basement vets (for mentorship) or go for real stars. The middling players are how you get into cap trouble, and the Wings haven't even established a core yet. Plus we have Veleno/Ras/Zadina/Raymond/Smith/Berggren all knocking at the door for spots or more playing time.

More lenient on D and goalie as we will need a starter and our D pipeline is still a few years away outside of Seider. So if they want to sign a top 4 dman to a 3 or 4 year deal, I'm totally down if they don't get one Hughes or Powers in the draft.

One of those things is not like the other. Lapointe was always a better player than Justin Abdelkader. Abdelkader was a Matt Martin/Jordin Tootoo fake truculence guy. Abdelkader was NEVER a top 6 guy and never should have been paid like one. If you want to say he had more offensive capability, Abdelkader was kinda like Jay Beagle, Daniel Winnik, etc. with a different name.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would rather sign Tatar if he wants to come back here

He’s an interesting guy. Familiar with the org, the coach, some of the guys. Wouldn’t take much to get acclimated. He was a buzzsaw, he’s got a good scoring touch that I don’t see taking a major step back in his early 30s, could be a guy that you try to sign and hold onto to support the guys breaking into the league in the next few years. Veleno, Berggren, Raymond, etc. He would essentially be a longer term version of the Bobby Ryan experiment.

Now we also could keep going with the 1 year pump and dump for a mid round pick approach. I don’t know if either has THAT much value that one is better than the other by a wide margin, but eventually we might want a guy like that. Maybe you just let Bertuzzi or Fabbri age into that role.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We already have a younger Hyman, his name is Tyler Bertuzzi. He'll be a great add for a contender but i dont see much of a fit here. He'll be paid into his mid 30s at 5m+ which i want no part of... id rather give Bert the same contract.

We have Bert with a wonky back, but with that being said I don't think Hyman makes sense given his age, style of play, and the contract he will get on the open market. He'd be a nice add, but it ain't happening unless he is sold on a hometown discount and I can't imagine that is appealing to him given he'll get one more big contract this offseason.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah considering that Werenski is LD, And if we trade Hronek then it's basically Seider and possibly Stecher and Lindstrom for our RD. So how's that a improvement?

Seider will be an immediate improvement over Hronek in the defensive and neutral zone. I can't imagine he's going to be a flop of a defenseman considering every league and tournament he's played in he has excelled and been a dominant force.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Would rather sign Tatar if he wants to come back here

He had a very underwhelming year with the Canadiens. He’s been more invisible than productive with them. I would only sign him on a cheap one year deal with the sole goal or trading him for an asset at the deadline

Reactions: Gniwder

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
He had a very underwhelming year with the Canadiens. He’s been more invisible than productive with them. I would only sign him on a cheap one year deal with the sole goal or trading him for an asset at the deadline
I'm okay with that. We could get another pick if he performs.

Reactions: 13to40

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
tenor.gif

Hyman....

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
And he's a healthy scratch/taxi squad...No thanks on Tatar.

Reactions: 13to40

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I really like the way Hyman plays, but not sure I would want to give the contract he is likely to get. I know he gets to play with very good players, but having seen him play a decent amount, he is the kind of guy that really helps out whatever line he is on. A good team glue kind of player in my opinion. He can play in all roles as far as PP/PK etc are concerned and he is one of those guys that plays hard every night.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

Cut any player's PP time in half from one year to next and you will see a decline in production.

30 points in 50 games isn't that bad, was 4th on team scoring in Montreal. That's almost a 50 point pace over 82 games.

Tatar is a very 1-dimentional player.

He doesn't take slapshots.
He doesn't shoot backhand.
He will only take wristshots.

He will rarely drive the net.
He will stay on the perimeter.

Is weak defensively, a meh skater, and isn't physical.

Yet he's still good enough for 40-45 points a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad