Post-Game Talk: Hyman Hattie!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why is McDavid killing penalties. Did you see him put out his hand to block a shot. Luckily it missed. Why the fu k isn't Jesse killing penalties. Guy has huge reach, Can skare and is pretty good defensively. I don't think he has ever been tried.

Malone and Shore seem like nice guys but I can't wait until they are either eating popcorn or playing in the AHL. Also getting tired of Ryan.
Because he turns like a battleship, has poor play anticipation and is also someone who's unlikely to block a shot.

Though I agree that McDavid shouldn't be out there killing penalties.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why is McDavid killing penalties. Did you see him put out his hand to block a shot. Luckily it missed. Why the fu k isn't Jesse killing penalties. Guy has huge reach, Can skare and is pretty good defensively. I don't think he has ever been tried.

Malone and Shore seem like nice guys but I can't wait until they are either eating popcorn or playing in the AHL. Also getting tired of Ryan.
I would say faceoffs, but looks like Mcdavid has been a fixture on the penalty kill for a few weeks now, playing as much or more on it than even Hopkins. Might be related to Mcleod getting injured and lacking decent options behind him.

Lack of decent options list includes Puljujarvi, who I don't think the coaching staff has any real trust in.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Delightful win. Drai and Hyman goin beastmode.
woo-nick-cage.gif

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Great game all-round; never felt like there was any doubt what the outcome would be. Surprising considering it was a back-to-back and how tired we looked yesterday. Minnesota just seems to have our number.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Good game tonight. PK was solid, Campbell played well and the top line was deadly. Let's just hope Pool Party on the top line briefly was a mistake. Throwing him on there again regularly is asking for trouble and just messes up the chemistry. lol

Because he's put up at the point so he can intercept passes and use his speed to get behind d-man etc. To me it's actually pretty smart. Obviously there's risk involved but whatever. Dude is smart enough and has been doing it for some time now this season. I also notice he's put out towards the tail end of the PK which means it's usually a team's second unit. Also smart.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
So Campbell started shaky like he did against Vancouver in game one and then played really good after. Why can’t he just do that all game lol?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So Campbell started shaky like he did against Vancouver in game one and then played really good after. Why can’t he just do that all game lol?
This might be a start to back toward that level of play. He wasn't outstanding, but he was good enough and made some key saves. Should be a positive building block imo.

A lack secondary offense still a concern. Can’t expect to win with only 1 line scoring.
True, but against Nashville, you can count on just one player and everything will be fine.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
This might be a start to back toward that level of play. He wasn't outstanding, but he was good enough and made some key saves. Should be a positive building block imo.

True, but against Nashville, you can count on just one player and everything will be fine.
One can pray.

Skinner is a top ten goalie and been lights out. If Campbell is even half decent this team could be so dangerous.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Woodcroft better keep that first line together until April when Kane comes back.

A lack secondary offense still a concern. Can’t expect to win with only 1 line scoring.

The Ryan line had a number of good scoring chances. It's not like the other lines are devoid of offense.

Reactions: Duke74 and Kerberos

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I would say faceoffs, but looks like Mcdavid has been a fixture on the penalty kill for a few weeks now, playing as much or more on it than even Hopkins. Might be related to Mcleod getting injured and lacking decent options behind him.

Lack of decent options list includes Puljujarvi, who I don't think the coaching staff has any real trust in.
Jesse is good defensively when actively defending an opposing player but when it's not a clear cut chance with the puck carrier he floats high in the defensive zone. There's reasons why he's not on the PK.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This Draisaitl-vs.-Nashville spanking is starting to reach Gretzky-vs.-Toronto or Winnipeg in the 1980s' level.

12.13.2022: 2 goals, 3 assists
11.01.2022: 1 goal, 4 assists
04.14.2022: 3 goals, 0 assists
01.27.2022: 0 goals, 0 assists
11.03.2021: 2 goals, 1 assists
03.02.2020: 4 goals, 1 assist
02.28.2020: 2 goals, 0 assists
01.14.2020: 2 goals, 1 assist
02.25.2019: 2 goals, 0 assists
10.27.2018: 2 goals, 0 assists

I assume Draisaitl's girlfriend visited the night before the game in bold...

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Good game tonight. PK was solid, Campbell played well and the top line was deadly. Let's just hope Pool Party on the top line briefly was a mistake. Throwing him on there again regularly is asking for trouble and just messes up the chemistry. lol

Because he's put up at the point so he can intercept passes and use his speed to get behind d-man etc. To me it's actually pretty smart. Obviously there's risk involved but whatever. Dude is smart enough and has been doing it for some time now this season. I also notice he's put out towards the tail end of the PK which means it's usually a team's second unit. Also smart.
Near the end is good and against certain teams I agree buy I saw our season flash before my eyes when he stuck his hand out to block a shot yesterday. Nuge broke his hand one year doing that and missed a ton of games.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well I think the biggest reason is that he lacks confidence. I am worried about him mentality.

To stick up for Campbell a bit ... I dont think the Oilers defense has made the transition very easy on him to start the year. The team at the beginning of the season was particularly atrocious infront of him. But the last month and a half or w/e it is, he hasnt given the team a chance to win on most nights.

He just hasnt made enough saves overall though. Hes letting in at least 1 extra goal a game that he shouldnt be. Its not really unsual for this team though. Koskinen/Smith were often guilty of this as well but not to the same extent that Campbell has shown this year.

The one positive that I will say about Campbell is that hes somewhat avoided backbreaking goals later in the game. Like last night for example, he never gave up a tying goal and he locked it down in the third. Thats generally been the case with him, hence why he has more wins than losses (he has gotten a lot of run support too obviously). I felt like Smith/Koskinen had more of a habit of letting in back breaking goals but I could be wrong.

Campbell hasnt been good enough though. Not even close. I hope he turns it around.

Might not hurt to give Campbell the start against Anaheim.

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

I notice they've taken Draisaitl completely off of the penalty kill, which is a good idea, but replacing him with McDavid isn't ideal either. Surely there are better options (RNH, Hyman, Ryan, Malone).

On another note, it's interesting that the thread is only six pages. If we'd lost, I imagine it would be at least three times that long.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I notice they've taken Draisaitl completely off of the penalty kill, which is a good idea, but replacing him with McDavid isn't ideal either. Surely there are better options (RNH, Hyman, Ryan, Malone).

On another note, it's interesting that the thread is only six pages. If we'd lost, I imagine it would be at least three times that long.
Pretty much the whole team PKed including the 4 you mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad