Dreger: Hyman’s Agent given permission to speak with other teams

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why would a team trade for his rights. It's not like he is the type of guy you want to give 8 years, unless he offers to sign the final 2 years of his deal for 1M dollars each thus driving down the caphit

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It would be dumb for any team to trade for his rights,

it would be dumb for Hyman to sign with a team that traded for his rights before hearing what the other 15ish teams are willing to offer.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Hyman would be a great 4x4 guy. Likely gets more term and dollar on the open market and whoever signs him to that deal will come to regret it.

Hopefully GMs finally smartened up with their UFA offers and he comes back to Dubas hat in hand with a more reasonable (speculative on my part I know) ask.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Would love him in the Canucks top 6 to compliment our skilled stars.

He would have to take a discount to play in Vancouver tho.

Maybe we can offer him longer term, smaller AAV and and sway him with getting to live in Vancouver and growing with a young promising core.

He is 29 years old so that would be a risky strategy.

Ideally it would 4 years - 4.5 mil per.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Why would a team trade for his rights. It's not like he is the type of guy you want to give 8 years, unless he offers to sign the final 2 years of his deal for 1M dollars each thus driving down the caphit

First off both the things you suggested are illegal under the CBA back diving contracts and only the leafs (or Seattle if they pick him) can sign him to 8 years.

Second, it happens like once or twice a year. Some team gives up a 5th rounder or later for UFA rights of a player to try and sign them.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

it would be dumb for Hyman to sign with a team that traded for his rights before hearing what the other 15ish teams are willing to offer.

I think the benefit is if a team trades for his rights, they’re able to offer him an 8 year deal opposed to 7 year. I don’t know why a team would want to sign him 8 years though, he’s almost 30.

Reactions: trellaine201

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Will miss him a lot but wish him all the best.

He's a solid player who can play up and down in your lineup. I think he owes Toronto big because, while the onus was on the player to improve year in year out, Toronto put him in the best possible position to succeed. He played with extraordinary linemates and his offensive output was a result of that.

Great player to have on your team who does it all, but not one you overpay for at all.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

sorry to disagree,
but if there is place he wants to be, for opportunity, or teammates, or family, or location, or other reasons
he should do it, lock in his choice, avoid the circus of UFA

folks who say players should always just chase the absolute most $$
don't understand the benefit of having money,

It's that you don't have to make decisions based on money

whether he signs for $20M or $40M will not substantially impact his family's quality of life, his future, or his kids' financial cushion

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think the benefit is if a team trades for his rights, they’re able to offer him an 8 year deal opposed to 7 year. I don’t know why a team would want to sign him 8 years though, he’s almost 30.

For Hyman to get 8 years as a pending UFA, I believe the Leafs have to sign him first. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I don't see any amendment to that rule in the MOU.

A true sign & trade has not been done before, to my recollection. Toronto isn't afraid to push the boundaries on normal practice. Not unrealistic that the Leafs could be involved with a first of its kind move.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Where are all the Leafs fan who were saying th guy would sign @ discount cause his folks are rich, and that he'd get 3M$ X 8years??? ROFL
Some of them are still around. There weren't many to begin with.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
sorry to disagree,
but if there is place he wants to be, for opportunity, or teammates, or family, or location, or other reasons
he should do it, lock in his choice, avoid the circus of UFA

folks who say players should always just chase the absolute most $$
don't understand the benefit of having money,

It's that you don't have to make decisions based on money

whether he signs for $20M or $40M will not substantially impact his family's quality of life, his future, or his kids' financial cushion

what benefit does it do him to sign right now though?

Will the destination choice of his suddenly go away? nop

See all your options before making a decision.

At the very least, it can be a negotiating leverage for Hyman to sign with "destination team" if that destination team is under the pressure of other teams bidding for Hyman.

Art of Negotiation- business 101

The90

Feb 27, 2017

That’s the point of his agent talking to the other teams though. He will know before he was to be traded.
Would love him in the Canucks top 6 to compliment our skilled stars.

He would have to take a discount to play in Vancouver tho.

Maybe we can offer him longer term, smaller AAV and and sway him with getting to live in Vancouver and growing with a young promising core.

He is 29 years old so that would be a risky strategy.

Ideally it would 4 years - 4.5 mil per.
You literally just described his position on the leafs. Complementary top 6 player, on a young team. The leafs core aside from Tavares who’s only 30, are all <30.

I’m sure his preference would be to stay in Toronto for that money / term. He probably wants long term security and as a fan you really can’t blame him for that. He’s been great on the leafs, but it looks like it’s going to be time to move on.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Interesting move. If Hyman wants a super long deal, hell need to sacrifice dollars in exchange for term.

Im sure the leafs could do some weird 8 year contract that pays him 24M and front load the shit out of it, but i dont expect anyone to give him a contract with 30M no matter the term.

IDK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad