Hybrid Icing and the Leafs Style

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I was just thinking about the new hybrid icing rule and I couldn't help but consider that it will work against the Leafs come playoff time.

I am a firm believer that the Leaf's success in last years playoffs against the Bruins was a direct result to the bruising forecheck the team used against the first man back. It seemed that on any race for the puck whether it was an icing or not our forwards were hammering them at every opportunity. In effect, we wore them out physically and they almost seemed hesitant to go hard after pucks when the Leafs were close behind.

Maybe I'm off base in thinking that there will be that many less opportunities to hit the opposition during dump ins from behind center ice now, but I can't help but wonder.

What you say?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was just thinking about the new hybrid icing rule and I couldn't help but consider that it will work against the Leafs come playoff time.

I am a firm believer that the Leaf's success in last years playoffs against the Bruins was a direct result to the bruising forecheck the team used against the first man back. It seemed that on any race for the puck whether it was an icing or not our forwards were hammering them at every opportunity. In effect, we wore them out physically and they almost seemed hesitant to go hard after pucks when the Leafs were close behind.

Maybe I'm off base in thinking that there will be that many less opportunities to hit the opposition during dump ins from behind center ice now, but I can't help but wonder.

What you say?

I don't recall them getting hits in during icings.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't recall them getting hits in during icings.

Me neither,

When we're healthy we will be dumping the puck from the red line and chasing the puck down.

We really don't have a good forecheck at this point..

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but for some reason I'm thinking on the close icing races the Leafs were taking the body at every opportunity.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think hybrid icings should help the Leafs style with so many forwards able to burn defensemen and get to the puck first.

Wouldn't that have been the case anyway?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I think hybrid icings should help the Leafs style with so many forwards able to burn defensemen and get to the puck first.

Yes, but now their is a lot less chance of getting destroyed by a check racing for it, thus, more willingness to do it.

They didn't get rid of touch icing to prevent checking if the opponent gets there first.

They took it away for the risk of legs getting tangled, sticks in feet and the occasional slight touch that sends a person flying.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes, but now their is a lot less chance of getting destroyed by a check racing for it, thus, more willingness to do it.

I don't think you understand the new rule. (They aren't scared anyway.)

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
They didn't get rid of touch icing to prevent checking if the opponent gets there first.

They took it away for the risk of legs getting tangled, sticks in feet and the occasional slight touch that sends a person flying.

Lets just call it less chance of injury and call it a day

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Lets just call it less chance of injury and call it a day

Okay, whatever. Still disagree with you that this will make players more "motivated" to chase down an icing than before.

The only difference in hybrid icing is if the defender is miles ahead of any opponent, they'll call it. If there is a race to the puck, it won't be blown dead right away.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Okay, whatever. Still disagree with you that this will make players more "motivated" to chase down an icing than before.

The only difference in hybrid icing is if the defender is miles ahead of any opponent, they'll call it. If there is a race to the puck, it won't be blown dead right away.

I thought that if by the time the players were by the face off dots and if the defender was ahead or even tied with the forechecker the play gets whistled dead. This is the first time I heard it only gets blown dead if the defender is miles ahead. I guess on the close races to the puck the opportunity to finish a hit will be taken away. I agree that it will help avoid some high speed off balance injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad