GDT: Hurricanes vs Florida Man - The Battle of Natural Disasters

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I haven’t seen a lot of praise for him in this thread, but Chatfield probably had one of his best games as a Hurricane last night. He was a factor in the two 2nd period goals and made some solid defensive plays and outlet passes throughout the night.

Orlov has rightly got a lot of attention for his turnaround on the season, but Chatfield has quietly been solid for most of the year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I haven’t seen a lot of praise for him in this thread, but Chatfield probably had one of his best games as a Hurricane last night. He was a factor in the two 2nd period goals and made some solid defensive plays and outlet passes throughout the night.

Orlov has rightly got a lot of attention for his turnaround on the season, but Chatfield has quietly been solid for most of the year.
You can't praise one without the other. Orlov is having his turnaround because he's paired with Chatty and not saddled with the worst defensive defenseman in the NHL (based on the metrics put out by JFresh yesterday). And Chatty is excelling because he has a great offensive defenseman playing alongside of him who can help push play forward whenever possession is gained. They are a great pair, and a stupid advantage for us to have on the 3rd line.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Chatfield has been good enough this year that I'm 100% comfortable just slotting him up in Pesce's slot if (when) we let him walk. I really want to get Chat locked up to like a 4 or 5 year deal for reasonable $.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Chatty skating is his key. He can skate himself back into a play... so even when he makes a mistake and over commits to a bad pinch or goes for a steal or bump and misses, he still can catch back up and break up the rush. He did it a couple times last night.

He is in a unique situation as he is playing 3rd pairing with a partner that is way beyond what most 3rd pairs would expect for a partner... its a weird situation.. last year when he played more minutes it started to expose him.. this year if he is with the right combo he seems to handle it... how much is it one versus the other versus just the combo right mix remains to be seen. If he had to take the toughest d assignments night in and night out it might be a different result.

He's a favorite on the team. He has taken the opportunity we have given and really turned into a player. I'm not sure he is a #4 on any team in the NHL. I like that with the right partner we can play him more than typical 3rd pairing minutes. But again not sure he is going to be as successful if that is his full time role every night. Makes the next contract tough to negotiate as his agent may be trying to get that bigger top 4 money... I'm hoping we figure it out as really enjoy having him on the team..

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Chatty skating is his key. He can skate himself back into a play... so even when he makes a mistake and over commits to a bad pinch or goes for a steal or bump and misses, he still can catch back up and break up the rush. He did it a couple times last night.

He is in a unique situation as he is playing 3rd pairing with a partner that is way beyond what most 3rd pairs would expect for a partner... its a weird situation.. last year when he played more minutes it started to expose him.. this year if he is with the right combo he seems to handle it... how much is it one versus the other versus just the combo right mix remains to be seen. If he had to take the toughest d assignments night in and night out it might be a different result.

He's a favorite on the team. He has taken the opportunity we have given and really turned into a player. I'm not sure he is a #4 on any team in the NHL. I like that with the right partner we can play him more than typical 3rd pairing minutes. But again not sure he is going to be as successful if that is his full time role every night. Makes the next contract tough to negotiate as his agent may be trying to get that bigger top 4 money... I'm hoping we figure it out as really enjoy having him on the team..
This just isn't true. Small sample size, but he absolutely excelled when Slavin missed time and that was playing on his off side with Burns on the top pair.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
Missed the game last night and looks like that was a good call lol

How has Guenztel and Kuznetsov (saw he had a goal last night) looked for you guys so far?
I would quite enjoy a 1st round 4 game sweep of 4 game 1 goal losses. Watch their fans say they weren’t really swept and drink in the irony
im hoping we dont win the presidents trophy or else thats prob happening again

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Missed the game last night and looks like that was a good call lol

How has Guenztel and Kuznetsov (saw he had a goal last night) looked for you guys so far?

So far so good. Kuznetsov adds an element we simply don't have and really never have in this iteration of the team. He's definitely slow, and he definitely doesn't do what we do defensively (he pulls up on every forecheck, he backchecks slow, etc.) But when his line has the puck he's shown that he can contribute in the way we need him to.

Guentzel is only 2 games in, so a lot to be determined. He looked good last night.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
So far so good. Kuznetsov adds an element we simply don't have and really never have in this iteration of the team. He's definitely slow, and he definitely doesn't do what we do defensively (he pulls up on every forecheck, he backchecks slow, etc.) But when his line has the puck he's shown that he can contribute in the way we need him to.

Guentzel is only 2 games in, so a lot to be determined. He looked good last night.
I was fearing that, you guys already had a good team before that, should be a crazy series if we meet again.

Glad Freddys is back to himself too.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Its hard to call it. I felt like the 1st line would be Guentzel, Aho, Turbo

Line 2 would be Kuzy Svech Nachos. But that's brutal defensively and only a O zone line at home. Jarvy probably can't cover all that, nor can Turbo.

Any word on Drury?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I think this would be fine too, Necas and Kuzy were flying out there and creating a ton of chances before Guentz joined the lineup. I'd stick with SAT and GKN for now though.
I'd be surprised if this isn't what Rod does. We know the SAT line can work; who knows what is going on with them right now but I'd rather they slump now than in the post-season.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
. . .
I'm calling it now: the first home game win where he makes a major contribution, the Canes do a Bird Celly storm surge.

1710522091815.gif

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
This just isn't true. Small sample size, but he absolutely excelled when Slavin missed time and that was playing on his off side with Burns on the top pair.

While it wasn't bad, I wouldn't call it excelling when he was with Burns.

It was definitely a small sample size. He played well but it wasn't seamless and without some adventure at times. That may be as much about Burns tendency as it is any particular point toward Chatty. They played well but it was conservative play for sure and was tentative and stilted a bit at times. Fine for the sample size and a welcome surprise given what many would have guessed would happen, it exceeded expectations.

Maybe it just gets better the more he plays and Chatty just needs to be given the opportunity for a long enough trial higher up the pairs and he just excels and there is no dropoff... we might see that next season no matter what we want given our cap situation next year.. you may be completely correct and I'm an idiot. Wouldn't be the first or last time I deserve that characterization. Just sharing my opinion of what I see when I watch him play every game since he joined us and he has been lined up beside a range of different partners and spent time in the ahl... I think he is developing into a good solid, everyday nhl dman who can play up in spurts but isn't quite there yet as a bona-fide top4.. I would happily be proven completely wrong as I'm a big fan of him..

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad