GDT: Hurricanes v Flyers

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not to continue to pile on the guy, but...

And this is why you don't saddle Slavin with him. You'd take our biggest strength and turn it into at best a marginal pair. I don't care that they worked as a pair a couple years ago, TDA is horribad now, you cannot make that kind of decision and hope that he miraculously starts to not completely suck.

At this point, with our defense being a surprising bit of weakness this year, you just have to bench the worst performer and hope the team can at least make due in the offensive zone. TDA is that worst performer by both the eye test as well as the regular and advanced metrics. Play Chatfield over him and just hope the better defensive play resolves the issues we have and can get us back to the transition game we're used to. And maybe part of the solution here is to seriously consider shaking up the defensive pairs, even if that means breaking up the top 2. Slavin-Orlov could be an elite top pair, it might be worth pivoting toward it.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Not to continue to pile on the guy, but...

TDA also has more points than Orlov, and is the only way the PP works. Orlov SUCKS on the PP and they force him to the off side, making akward turns, inability to keep, and slow akward passes.

I get the entire world is against the dude, But when he finally gets sat, traded, etc and the PP is anemic, I'm just gonna sit here and laugh when our PP% goes from 25 to 10 because we can't put him with a competent partner, and Orlov still sucks and costs us games.

f*** it. Do it. Hell if I care. sick of listening to the pile on when they keep forcing him with Orlov.

And this is why you don't saddle Slavin with him. You'd take our biggest strength and turn it into at best a marginal pair. I don't care that they worked as a pair a couple years ago, TDA is horribad now, you cannot make that kind of decision and hope that he miraculously starts to not completely suck.

At this point, with our defense being a surprising bit of weakness this year, you just have to bench the worst performer and hope the team can at least make due in the offensive zone. TDA is that worst performer by both the eye test as well as the regular and advanced metrics. Play Chatfield over him and just hope the better defensive play resolves the issues we have and can get us back to the transition game we're used to. And maybe part of the solution here is to seriously consider shaking up the defensive pairs, even if that means breaking up the top 2. Slavin-Orlov could be an elite top pair, it might be worth pivoting toward it.
That worked f***in great in Florida. Yeah do it again and keep doing it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
TDA also has more points than Orlov, and is the only way the PP works. Orlov SUCKS on the PP and they force him to the off side, making akward turns, inability to keep, and slow akward passes.

I get the entire world is against the dude, But when he finally gets sat, traded, etc and the PP is anemic, I'm just gonna sit here and laugh when our PP% goes from 25 to 10 because we can't put him with a competent partner, and Orlov still sucks and costs us games.

f*** it. Do it. Hell if I care. sick of listening to the pile on when they keep forcing him with Orlov.

That worked f***in great in Florida. Yeah do it again and keep doing it.

“We can’t put him with a competent partner” is an interesting way to read that. Because while we agree that Orlov/TDA doesn’t work, we’ve tried Chatfield/TDA and Skjei/TDA and those also didn’t work. But Orlov/Chatfield did work, and we know Skjei/Pesce works.

So basically you’re saying we should try TDA with Slavin or Pesce because they‘re the only one we can apparently pair him with, and we basically have to hope that they don’t suffer the same decrease in play that his other partners have?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I get that both Deangelo and orlov have struggled to start this year, but one of them won a Stanley cup as a top 4 if not top pair defenseman, and one has had one legit good season his entire career. True that latter season is more recent but I feel like both bodies of work speak to who deserves a little more benefit of doubt

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I get that both Deangelo and orlov have struggled to start this year, but one of them won a Stanley cup as a top 4 if not top pair defenseman, and one has had one legit good season his entire career. True that latter season is more recent but I feel like both bodies of work speak to who deserves a little more benefit of doubt

That's a good point. I'd also add that they're probably more willing to continue test driving the sports car they invested ALOT more money in. They obviously saw an upside that warranted the 7M whatever dollar contract.

Reactions: cptjeff and geehaad

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's a good point. I'd also add that they're probably more willing to continue test driving the sports car they invested ALOT more money in. They obviously saw an upside that warranted the 7M whatever dollar contract.
Who to start this year is acting in a primary role as a $7M security blanket for a $1M player and struggling because that's just not really his game, and certainly not why we brought him in.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
when you have been on the ice for more goals than against, your O zone starting percentage is almost touching 70%, and you get the easiest assignments by far, the points you do bring is basically a useless stats. It is like giving participation trophy to the last kid on the bench. So YAY points but he is a negative asset to the team. especially when is a positive player with anyone else either.

Looking at worst pairings in ES play:

Orlov and TDA -6
Burns and Orlov - 3
Tony & Chat -2

Best pairs

Slavin-Burns +5
Skjei-Peace +4
Orlov-Skjei +2

Orlov-Slavin was a good pair for 9 minutes this season.

Looking at the pairings that did the best together in VERY SMALL samples sizes.

Skjei-Orlov
Burns-Pesce
Orlov-Slavin

some of Orlov-TDA's problem is giving up bad goals. They have a xGA of 4.89, they have been on the ice for 9 against.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
when you have been on the ice for more goals than against, your O zone starting percentage is almost touching 70%, and you get the easiest assignments by far, the points you do bring is basically a useless stats. It is like giving participation trophy to the last kid on the bench. So YAY points but he is a negative asset to the team. especially when is a positive player with anyone else either.

Looking at worst pairings in ES play:

Orlov and TDA -6
Burns and Orlov - 3
Tony & Chat -2

Best pairs

Slavin-Burns +5
Skjei-Peace +4
Orlov-Skjei +2

Orlov-Slavin was a good pair for 9 minutes this season.

Looking at the pairings that did the best together in VERY SMALL samples sizes.

Skjei-Orlov
Burns-Pesce
Orlov-Slavin

some of Orlov-TDA's problem is giving up bad goals. They have a xGA of 4.89, they have been on the ice for 9 against.

Burns-Pesce is surprising, because if you had asked me to pair the two slowest defensemen on the Canes, that's who I'd pair up.

Though if that pairing DOES work, it might solve a lot of our issues. We could pair Slavin-TDA, Burns-Pesce and Skjei-Orlov. And move Chatfield to any of the pairings whenever needed.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Can we just make TDA a 4th line winger? Then we can have better defensive pairings but still have TDA out there on occasion and for his PP use

Let's just change the rules of hockey and make TDA the DH (designated hockey). We get six other defenders and 12 forwards, and TDA can come in on the PP and make that work, but when the PP is over he has to go back to the bench immediately. He can only play in the games in the States...the American League as it were...and because all those traditionalists north of the National border won't like the rule change, we'll call them the Nation League.

Should work.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
“We can’t put him with a competent partner” is an interesting way to read that. Because while we agree that Orlov/TDA doesn’t work, we’ve tried Chatfield/TDA and Skjei/TDA and those also didn’t work. But Orlov/Chatfield did work, and we know Skjei/Pesce works.

So basically you’re saying we should try TDA with Slavin or Pesce because they‘re the only one we can apparently pair him with, and we basically have to hope that they don’t suffer the same decrease in play that his other partners have?
Orlov chatfield got picked apart and gangbanged in Sunrise.

TDA Sjkei was tried for what, 2 games? You get rid of him you gut your PP. Its that simple. We can't score as it is.

Can we just make TDA a 4th line winger? Then we can have better defensive pairings but still have TDA out there on occasion and for his PP use
He can pass. Can he win FO's lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad