Hurricanes sale formally closed, Tom Dundon now majority owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Pretty simple - Karmanos found a buyer many thought was not possible.

Dallas businessman now owns Hurricanes after sale closes :: WRALSportsFan.com

Ah, but business, like politics in some respects, is about the art of the possible. Perhaps it was not seen as possible, at least around here, because the "many" chose to pursue flights of fancy (cable guys, people glued to FlightAware, and "mysterious insider sources" whose stories just didn't square with reality) instead of listening to the boots on the ground - hockey fans here in the Triangle, some of whom may know more than the average user about the goings-on of our team in our community?

I get that we were in a sensitive spot. We sat squarely at the confluence of the desire to see a market that had lost its team get one back (Quebec City), being a relocated team from a spot that has been rewritten into being a passionate hotbed of the sport (Hartford), being located in a Southern market that not many on the outside know much about, and having this all happen in a post-Thrashers world where every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants to be the guy to break the news that IT'S HAPPENING (whatever that "it" is to them). But all the statements from people associated with the team, people associated with the NHL, people associated with the upper echelons of the hockey media, and people here on the ground made were waved away by people desperate to believe cable guys, flight trackers, and (imaginary?) sources and, in the end, they were all the more wrong for doing it. It's interesting to see that there's nary an apology from those around here who told us for months, years even, that we were losing our team imminently and to deal with it and who wound up with egg on their face as a result of it. Not that I expected one, but that would have been just a little refreshing - for the "many" to own up to the fact that for any number of reasons (envy, hatred, ignorance, etc.) they bought into and peddled lies and falsehoods about the fate of this team and they were in the wrong for doing so. That's enough of that though - we were right and they were wrong and continuing to analyze it at this point, is academic.

It's early, but a toast - Here's to doing whatever it takes, to being relentless, and to being lovable goofballs. Here's going from the penthouse to the basement and the slow, arduous climb back into grace and glory. To going from being derisively called "Whalercanes" by some to spending more years in Raleigh as the Hurricanes than we did in Hartford. Here's to the last 20 years of Carolina Hurricanes hockey and many, many more to come in the future.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
“Nobody would buy them just to keep them in Raleigh” was my favorite.

Eat crow, sunshine.
The one I loved was how locals who are as in-tune to the team as possibly can be were saying all along "yeah we haven't heard anything" but that was dismissed because someones random-ass cable guy kept saying the team was going to move. I mean that's f***ing priceless. That's like taking the word of a random HVAC guy as an authority on all things Arizona Coyotes because he's used to working with warm conditions.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It's extremely telling that the vultures in this forum who circled this team for the past 2-3 years, constantly telling us how undeserving a team we are and how it's inevitable the team will be moved with a sale are completely gone now. This thread was always incredibly active with speculation on when (not if) the team will be moving, and now it's a ghost town. Even more curious the last bit of activity was when Greenberg fell through when everyone started talking about the move again right up to when Dundon came into the story. And the second the league made it clear a move wasn't on the table, its been crickets for a month and a half.

The BoH forum is not healthy when it comes to this kind of topic. Coming out of this sale you are going to have Canes fans who openly and justifiably carry a grudge for the remainder of their time in HF because of the allowance to have pure speculation discussed and debated as fact. The reality that was discussed in here was not the reality that was happening in the real world, and we took the brunt of it.

I'm happy that it's over for us, but I do feel for the next fanbase that becomes a target.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think his point is there was a level of arrogance and absolute certainty that some posters exuded in their stance on a buyer/price not being possible.

Karmanos says team isn't moving: "Yeah, what is he going to say?"
Bettman says team isn't moving: "You can't believe anything Bettman says"
Daly says team isn't moving: "Lip service"
Dundon is buying the team: "Ha, he's only buying it to move it."

and on, and on, and on.

Don't forget the whole Waddell era in that everyone thought since he moved the Thrashers that he was here to move the Canes as well.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Now that it's actually done, I want to congratulate the Hurricane faithful for finally getting stability and a non-asshole owner.

You know, I'm especially really happy for the players and personnel and staff. It couldn't have been much fun at times to play with wicked rumors floating around the team.

Also, I'll state I'm happy Karnanos will soon be gone from the NHL. He's a snake for moving the Whalers.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Don't forget the whole Waddell era in that everyone thought since he moved the Thrashers that he was here to move the Canes as well.
True. Though he definitely was here to sell the Canes and see if every last penny could be squeezed out of revenue sources (which would make the team more appealing to potential buyers). He just wasn't brought in to sell the team to move.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Per Bettman, the franchise was never in Jeopardy of moving, and he and the BoG were annoyed they had to answer questions about a fabricated story from "wishful thinking by markets wanting a team"

He threw serious shade at Quebec City during this press conference. You can tell those in power are not happy with how the vultures pounced the last few years.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
26239734_10155424495429773_4712570667392023233_n.jpg

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What a breath of fresh air this guy is. It would be easy to come in as a new owner and be satisfied with the prestige of that, spouting off a few throwaway lines about being active in free agency and excited about the community. But this dude comes in with guns blazing, talking about new practice facilities and outdoor games, marketing and analytics. Super excited to see what's in store.

And currently, team is in a wild-card spot with the most home games in the league down the stretch with a ton of young talent. The guy isn't starting from the bottom of the mountain, he's already halfway up.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He bought some of the ownership

Thank you!

All this makes me wonder how many posts we could go back and dig up about how nobody would ever actually buy the Carolina Hurricanes for that amount of money and keep them there

I bet there would be a lot of them

If we wanted to go look for them

Hypothetically speaking, I mean

*whistles innocently*

*wrangles out the door*

I only passed on that part about Karmanos claiming to look outside Carolina. Maybe he just meant for an owner. That did come from someone inside the Canes organization. :D

“Nobody would buy them just to keep them in Raleigh” was my favorite.

Eat crow, sunshine.

:mad:

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad