Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Rangers 10/16/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
As someone who doesn't see the game as in depth as some of you, what was so bad about Hayes in preseason that most thought he needed "seasoning". I saw him using his body on offense just as well as he is now. Was it defensively? I know face offs have been a weak point but what else is new with the Rangers.

Speaking only for me, I thought Hayes has looked much more assertive on the rush and in all three zones on the boards. There were several times he bullied his way behind the Carolina and Islanders nets to make good plays and work the cycle. He also made a great play last night, slamming a Hurricanes' player against our boards and separating him from the puck. Alongside improved faceoffs and a better understanding of defensive positioning, those are the things I've noticed. Though, to be clear, I liked his preseason a lot and thought he should stick.

Stepanstones*

People who thought Hayes wasn't NHL ready are nuts this guy can hang with the big boys.

More like people who think miller should be in the lineup over him or the Duke are nuts. Miller's hockey IQ is too low, he has done nothing in the NHL with the opportunities he has had.

Vickers8

More like people who think miller should be in the lineup over him or the Duke are nuts. Miller's hockey IQ is too low, he has done nothing in the NHL with the opportunities he has had.

Seems he has a poor attitude, also has 59 pro games and a miniscule 10 points

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Glad we won. Barely awake by the point of victory, but yeah, two points is two points. Sunday I hope wont get our ***** handed to us. Basically we have to return the favour on SJ from last year. That one stung.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
What is there to indicate he has poor attitude?

Rumors of stories about your typical teenager being blown out of proportion.

A dumb*** tweet from a dumb*** beat writer assuming the vets on the team didn't like him :facepalm:

It's not just that. AV made a comment last season that JT didn't "get it" when it came to being an NHL professional just yet when he was being sent back down.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Speaking only for me, I thought Hayes has looked much more assertive on the rush and in all three zones on the boards. There were several times he bullied his way behind the Carolina and Islanders nets to make good plays and work the cycle. He also made a great play last night, slamming a Hurricanes' player against our boards and separating him from the puck. Alongside improved faceoffs and a better understanding of defensive positioning, those are the things I've noticed. Though, to be clear, I liked his preseason a lot and thought he should stick.

I liked his preseason as well. But as I said, I dont know the game as deeply as some others on here do. It just seemed like everyone said he looked ready but could do with some time in the AHL. I thought he was showing good use of his big body since he got here, as well as good patience with the puck. If he keeps this up he will be a huge steal for us.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's not just that. AV made a comment last season that JT didn't "get it" when it came to being an NHL professional just yet when he was being sent back down.

And Sather made a more recent comment saying that if he was healthy he would've been playing in the Stanley cup finals

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Glad we won. Barely awake by the point of victory, but yeah, two points is two points. Sunday I hope wont get our ***** handed to us. Basically we have to return the favour on SJ from last year. That one stung.

Can't say Im too confident that will happen at this point. But it would be a great turnaround.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
And Sather made a more recent comment saying that if he was healthy he would've been playing in the Stanley cup finals

That's a sound byte from a disconnected GM to possibly raise trade value if I've ever heard one.

And now he's in the A. Clearly shows AV calls the shot and thank goodness we have hayes.

Exactly. We may have terrible center depth, but it's clear that Miller is not a viable solution at this point.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That's a sound byte from a disconnected GM to possibly raise trade value if I've ever heard one.

Exactly. We may have terrible center depth, but it's clear that Miller is not a viable solution at this point.

To raise his trade value before an offseason in which he didn't get traded?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Given that the Duke isn't on a 9-game restriction since the 1st year ELC gets burned off anyway, I could see the Duke getting the "39" game trial.

In other words more than 9 games, and less than 40 so it doesn't affect his UFA status.

Could be a case where he gets sent down to the WJC and then to Quebec...

That said, he hasn't done anything to deserve getting sent down, he just has to do more to stay up. He has to score.

Look at the difference between Hayes and Duclair: Hayes is getting better every game, while Duclair has been very uneven and at times really tentative. He's definitely shown flashes of talent and will ultimately get better, but I'm really not sure at this point that keeping him around is the best plan. AV is never going to trust him defensively this year and that's always going to limit his minutes. And if he's not going to be effective on the power play, that further restricts his time on the ice too.

We'll see. If he plays Sunday, then he has a little more time to settle in. If he doesn't I think he'll be sent back to Juniors, sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad