Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VII - Cliff Pu and other shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The more I think about it the more I wish we had played hardball with Jeffy and said “look, you can stay here on our mediocre team and have a mediocre year heading into free agency or you can work with us and we can get a good return for you then you can go have a big year somewhere and cash in.”

Then Waddell should have screamed at him “HELP ME HELP YOU!!!!”

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The more I think about it the more I wish we had played hardball with Jeffy and said “look, you can stay here on our mediocre team and have a mediocre year heading into free agency or you can work with us and we can get a good return for you then you can go have a big year somewhere and cash in.”

Then Waddell should have screamed at him “HELP ME HELP YOU!!!!”

I just got back from lunch with my buddy, Barry, in Central City. After we ate, we hopped over to Earth27, where this exact conversation took place in July 2018. What follows is what I observed in this timeline:

Playing the first half of the season on the second line with Jordan Staal and Justin Williams, Jeff Skinner puts up 12g, 14a, in 38 games, but cools considerably after scoring nine goals in the first 20 games, and is a minus-17. Skinner is also visibly embarrassed by the Canes' initial attempt at a "Storm Surge," and answers simply, "I don't know," when asked if it's something he likes to do. The Surge fades out after two more attempts to get total team buy-in, but with half the players simply heading to the locker room after home wins.

Staal is injured about the time Victor Rask gets healthy, so Rask goes between Skinner and Williams. Thereafter, Skinner and the team head on a downward spiral and are now 14 points out of the playoffs, battling for last place with the Sabres.

Both Ferland and Skinner are UFAs after the season looking for big raises to $6 million and $8 million, respectively. The team will likely move both of them before the trade deadline, but with a full no-trade clause and zero interest from last-place Buffalo or cap-burdened Toronto, it's not likely Skinner can be moved and his Carolina career will come to an end after 28 more meaningless games.

On January 17, Minnesota GM Paul Fenton calls Don Waddell looking for a center and offering Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask. Already about $6 million over his self-imposed cap and struggling due to steadily decreasing attendance, owner Tom Dundon rejects the deal.

So there you have it. If we hadn't traded Skinner, we'd be in last place, would lose Skinner for nothing, wouldn't have Nino Niederreiter and the Storm Surge wouldn't be a thing.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I just got back from lunch with my buddy, Barry, in Central City. After we ate, we hopped over to Earth27, where this exact conversation took place in July 2018. What follows is what I observed in this timeline:

Playing the first half of the season on the second line with Jordan Staal and Justin Williams, Jeff Skinner puts up 12g, 14a, in 38 games, but cools considerably after scoring nine goals in the first 20 games, and is a minus-17. Skinner is also visibly embarrassed by the Canes' initial attempt at a "Storm Surge," and answers simply, "I don't know," when asked if it's something he likes to do. The Surge fades out after two more attempts to get total team buy-in, but with half the players simply heading to the locker room after home wins.

Staal is injured about the time Victor Rask gets healthy, so Rask goes between Skinner and Williams. Thereafter, Skinner and the team head on a downward spiral and are now 14 points out of the playoffs, battling for last place with the Sabres.

Both Ferland and Skinner are UFAs after the season looking for big raises to $6 million and $8 million, respectively. The team will likely move both of them before the trade deadline, but with a full no-trade clause and zero interest from last-place Buffalo or cap-burdened Toronto, it's not likely Skinner can be moved and his Carolina career will come to an end after 28 more meaningless games.

On January 17, Minnesota GM Paul Fenton calls Don Waddell looking for a center and offering Nino Niederreiter for Victor Rask. Already about $6 million over his self-imposed cap and struggling due to steadily decreasing attendance, owner Tom Dundon rejects the deal.

So there you have it. If we hadn't traded Skinner, we'd be in last place, would lose Skinner for nothing, wouldn't have Nino Niederreiter and the Storm Surge wouldn't be a thing.

Why did you take me to this horrible place? Why!?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Why did you take me to this horrible place? Why!?

Blame Cardiac. And Barry. He hadn't called me for months, then out of the blue ...

I want to see the alternate timeline where we never trade for Darling.

I saw this one last year and you're not going to like it any better.

Darling is allowed to get to UFA on July 1, 2017 and a four-team bidding war forces Francis to offer a fifth year, full no-movement protection with a 50-games started guarantee per season, input into the hiring the Hurricanes next coach, and a private locker stall staffed by a personal beard groomsman/equipment designer (and don't kid yourself, these guys are hard to find).

After Bill Peters resigned to take the Calgary job, the Canes went with untested first-time head coach Sarah Darling, who has the full support of management despite her 4-42-5 record and controversial Twitter feed publicly calling out Hurricanes players who perform poorly after every loss.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

This is clearly your best post ever. AINEC

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Blame Cardiac. And Barry. He hadn't called me for months, then out of the blue ...

I saw this one last year and you're not going to like it any better.

Darling is allowed to get to UFA on July 1, 2017 and a four-team bidding war forces Francis to offer a fifth year, full no-movement protection and a 50-games started guarantee per season, input into the hiring the Hurricanes next coach, and a private locker stall staffed by a personal beard groomsman/equipment designer (and don't kid yourself, these guys are hard to find).

After Peters resigned and took the Calgary job, the Canes went with untested first-time head coach Sarah Darling, who has the full support of management despite her 4-42-5 record and controversial Twitter feed publicly calling out Hurricanes players who perform poorly after every loss.

Well, now you're just being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad