Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VII - Cliff Pu and other shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
MATTHEOS 12-9.jpg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Encouraging words about Fox potentially signing with CAR in the future from S Civian’s latest:

I know, I know. What about the guy averaging just less than two points per game as a defenseman? After talking to him last week, I’ve never been so confident that he’ll actually end up signing with the Hurricanes — more on that Tuesday. If he does sign, there’s about seven possible scenarios in terms of the looming expansion draft. This hypothetical three-years-from-now draft already is hard enough, so let’s just assume that somehow Boy Wonder’s contract is exempt.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Encouraging words about Fox potentially signing with CAR in the future from S Civian’s latest:

I know, I know. What about the guy averaging just less than two points per game as a defenseman? After talking to him last week, I’ve never been so confident that he’ll actually end up signing with the Hurricanes — more on that Tuesday. If he does sign, there’s about seven possible scenarios in terms of the looming expansion draft. This hypothetical three-years-from-now draft already is hard enough, so let’s just assume that somehow Boy Wonder’s contract is exempt.

The Expansion Draft assumably will be in June 2021, so anyone who is only finishing his second accountable pro season on June 30th, 2021 will be exempt. Even if Fox signs next spring and immediately burns his first ELC season by playing a couple of games under 2018-19, that season won't count for him.

Fox won't have two "full" seasons under his belt at the Draft time. Exempt.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The Expansion Draft assumably will be in June 2021, so anyone who is only finishing his second accountable pro season on June 30th, 2021 will be exempt. Even if Fox signs next spring and immediately burns his first ELC season by playing a couple of games under 2018-19, that season won't count for him.

Fox won't have two "full" seasons under his belt at the Draft time. Exempt.

You certainly have the better understanding then me when it comes to CBA stuff. I was more so optimistic about the good vibes from Civian about him potentially signing. Getting Fox under contract, whenever it happens, would be huge.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
You certainly have the better understanding then me when it comes to CBA stuff. I was more so optimistic about the good vibes from Civian about him potentially signing. Getting Fox under contract, whenever it happens, would be huge.

Yes, unless he plays more than 10 games in the NHL and AHL this year it won't count.

The only part I wasn't sure about is whether they would be exempt if they just finished their 2nd full season. If they are I definitely think Necas should finish the season in Charlotte because then he would be exempt as well as he is only 19 so his AHL time doesn't count against him unless he hits 10 NHL games this year.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yes, unless he plays more than 10 games in the NHL and AHL this year it won't count.

The only part I wasn't sure about is whether they would be exempt if they just finished their 2nd full season. If they are I definitely think Necas should finish the season in Charlotte because then he would be exempt as well as he is only 19 so his AHL time doesn't count against him unless he hits 10 NHL games this year.

Actually on second thought it's a bit iffy. I don't think 10 NHL games (the 18-19 y.o. Slide rule) is any applicable limit for Fox. It's crazy that a two game season would count, but then again it does count for the Entry-level System purposes. I would have to see the actual rules, not the bastardizations reported by the press.

But the NHL season will officially end on July 30th. Any guy in his 2nd year at the assumed time of the ED hasn't finished it yet and is by definition a 2nd yearer.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Actually on second thought it's a bit iffy. I don't think 10 NHL games (the 18-19 y.o. Slide rule) is any applicable limit for Fox. It's crazy that a two game season would count, but then again it does count for the Entry-level System purposes. I would have to see the actual rules, not the bastardizations reported by the press.

But the NHL season will officially end on July 30th. Any guy in his 2nd year at the assumed time of the ED hasn't finished it yet and is by definition a 2nd yearer.

The slide rule wouldn't be applicable to Fox as he's already 20 but per CBA section 10.2 he would have to play at least 10 professional games (AHL or NHL) under his SPC this season for it to count as a year.

upload_2018-12-10_10-11-43.png

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The slide rule wouldn't be applicable to Fox as he's already 20 but per CBA section 10.2 he would have to play at least 10 professional games (AHL or NHL) under his SPC this season for it to count as a year.

View attachment 163709

This is completely separate from burning a year of ELC which would occur with only 1 game played at the NHL level I believe.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

View attachment 163709

An excellent notion. This certainly looks like what they would use the definition of "professional season" for the ED purposes.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is completely separate from burning a year of ELC which would occur with only 1 game played at the NHL level I believe.

Yes. Well not completely because the "18-19 y.o. except for 20-turning late birthday guys" is exactly the rule for ELC Slide Eligibility, and it is correspondingly noted in 10.2 that only NHL (and not AHL) games count for the Sliders.

But as for the 20+ guys, if Fox agrees that 2018-19 is the first season of his ELC and goes to the NHL rink in spring, it burns the first year off his ELC, while by 10.2 it sure looks like it still doesn't count as a legit pro season.

The RFA egilibility age/years as stated in 10.2 correspond exactly to the ELC length age/years stated in 9.1 (b). Because of course they do.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Yes. Well not completely because the "18-19 y.o. except for 20-turning late birthday guys" is exactly the rule for ELC Slide Eligibility, and it is correspondingly noted in 10.2 that only NHL (and not AHL) games count for the Sliders.

But as for the 20+ guys, if Fox agrees that 2018-19 is the first season of his ELC and goes to the NHL rink in spring, it burns the first year off his ELC, while by 10.2 it sure looks like it still doesn't count as a legit pro season.

The RFA egilibility age/years as stated in 10.2 correspond exactly to the ELC length age/years stated in 9.1 (b). Because of course they do.

Yeah, not separate; all I meant was Fox can burn a year off of his ELC with a single game but it appears that it wouldn't count as a professional season for expansion draft purposes unless he played 10+ games.

I would really like to read the actual rules too.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah, not separate; all I meant was Fox can burn a year off of his ELC with a single game but it appears that it wouldn't count as a professional season for expansion draft purposes unless he played 10+ games.

I would really like to read the actual rules too.

We can't be sure of this though, because the Section says that "For the purposes of this Section 10.1(a)"... technically it's not a generally applicable rule. But I don't think there is any better to be found in CBA to define a pro year.

The rule leads to problem though if Fox signs a 2-year ELC in the spring and immediately burns off a year. His ELC would end in 2020, but playing less than 10 games he wouldn't have 2 professional seasons to qualify as a RFA by 10.1(a).

But apparently they thought of that. This looks very good regarding Fox. He won't even be a Free Agent after the ELC expires:

10.2(c) Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience. Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv) above.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
We can't be sure of this though, because the Section says that "For the purposes of this Section 10.1(a)"... technically it's not a generally applicable rule. But I don't think there is any better to be found in CBA to define a pro year.

The rule leads to problem though if Fox signs a 2-year ELC in the spring and immediately burns off a year. His ELC would end in 2020, but playing less than 10 games he wouldn't have 2 professional seasons to qualify as a RFA by 10.1(a).

But apparently they thought of that. This looks very good regarding Fox. He won't even be a Free Agent after the ELC expires:

10.2(c) Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience. Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv) above.

It would still technically be a 3 year ELC this year; effectively 2 years if he burns a year I think. Players aren't eligible for a 2 year until they are 22.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It would still technically be a 3 year ELC this year; effectively 2 years if he burns a year I think. Players aren't eligible for a 2 year until they are 22.
Dang. You're right he'll be 21 on Sept 15th next year, so 3 year ELC if signed in 2019. I somehow thought he would be a year older. It doesn't change anything in this regard though as the RFA requirement changes similarly.

Takes away a bit of urgency in signing though for him as he can well wait a year, sign then in the spring at 22 and end his ELC in 2021 all the same. Loses only a year of ELC salary, gains a Harvard graduation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad