Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VII - Cliff Pu and other shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
how would y'all rank the top 10 prospect list now that we are halfway thru the season?
who would you say is the biggest disappointment? biggest riser? biggest surprise in a positive way?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
how would y'all rank the top 10 prospect list now that we are halfway thru the season?
who would you say is the biggest disappointment? biggest riser? biggest surprise in a positive way?

i think the biggest surprise for the collective list is the fact that zykov is almost entirely irrelevant as an nhl prospect after this season. some of us were more invested into his being for real than others, but to see him drop so far as to be waived and claimed twice and be stuck in purgatory was unexpected. one of the biggest risers in my opinion has been jake bean. personally, i underestimated his ability to both score and defend at the professional level and he has done both well for the checkers.

one of the things that has been most frustrating is the lack of a true breakout from any of our system prospects. the fact that greg mckegg, lukas wallmark, clark bishop and saku manalive that's hard to spell have solidified roster spots ahead of guys like kuokkanen, necas, gauthier, roy, etc. has been somewhat typical hurricanes prospects. ripen to be elite scorers in the american league and find themselves unable to make the transition when required. it's largely been a hold serve type season, but i would be lying if i didn't say my hopes that foegele would be a top six for us after his performance in his rookie season last year have hurt to see fade out.

additionally, necas not being a full time nhl player this season was a huge blow to our chances of fielding a competitive roster. regardless of what you might hear now about tempering expectations, the expectation was that he would be good for 35-40 points and look pretty impressive while doing it. the fact that he didn't rip it up at the wjc has also been a sour note on something of a learning year for him. that isn't to say my hopes of him being an impact player have been diminished at all, but more immediate results were expected considering his pedigree and world championships performance. you can call his year a developmental success and still be disappointed that he needed one.

adam fox, in his limited schedule, has been immensely impressive and maintained his profile if not raised it a few more notches... but as it was for the rest of these guys, until you're doing it for money you're not doing it. stelio mattheos has had a really strong year in the whl, but he will also face the tough task of turning that junior production into nhl production. there has been lots of praise for eetu luostarinen, but the fact that draft eligible players are producing at such a solid clip in the watered down liiga as the top end of the league has escaped to more traditional feeder leagues makes me skeptical of numeric production. it would be great if he's turning a corner, but for a former second round pick he shouldn't be considered to be doing anything wholly unusual. he still needs plenty of time. jack drury has held serve. david cotton started his season quickly and then faded a bit lately, but his progression has been positive. cliff pu has been laughably behind schedule.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Fun article in the Finn press about Alexandre Texier, the French wonder child drafted by Columbus last year, who came to KalPa for this season to prepare himself to NHL where he will go next season. I would hazard to guess the benefits of preparing oneself in Kuopio for NHL apply to our own Eetu Luostarinen too.

SM-liigassa hioutuu todellinen timantti – Jarkko Ruutu NHL:ään lähtevästä ihmelapsesta: ”Ei ollut koskaan harjoitellut fysiikkaa”

I can't remember if we exactly have noted here that KalPa's coach/owner/GM/fluffer is one Sami Kapanen.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If we buy out Darling this off-season could we change that existing buyout to a compliance buyout once the CBA is renegotiated?
Generally speaking in the legal matters, if you have done thing A in the purpose X, you can't retroactively change the purpose to Y afterwards. And NHL is a highly legal setup.

In your scenario, at the time of the publication of the new CBA, the decision to buy a contract out had already been made back in the day in that situation as an ordinary course buyout. The decision at that time had no purpose of the team becoming compliant to the new CBA cap rules, and so you won't get the associated credit from it.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i think the biggest surprise for the collective list is the fact that zykov is almost entirely irrelevant as an nhl prospect after this season. some of us were more invested into his being for real than others, but to see him drop so far as to be waived and claimed twice and be stuck in purgatory was unexpected. one of the biggest risers in my opinion has been jake bean. personally, i underestimated his ability to both score and defend at the professional level and he has done both well for the checkers.

one of the things that has been most frustrating is the lack of a true breakout from any of our system prospects. the fact that greg mckegg, lukas wallmark, clark bishop and saku manalive that's hard to spell have solidified roster spots ahead of guys like kuokkanen, necas, gauthier, roy, etc. has been somewhat typical hurricanes prospects. ripen to be elite scorers in the american league and find themselves unable to make the transition when required. it's largely been a hold serve type season, but i would be lying if i didn't say my hopes that foegele would be a top six for us after his performance in his rookie season last year have hurt to see fade out.

additionally, necas not being a full time nhl player this season was a huge blow to our chances of fielding a competitive roster. regardless of what you might hear now about tempering expectations, the expectation was that he would be good for 35-40 points and look pretty impressive while doing it. the fact that he didn't rip it up at the wjc has also been a sour note on something of a learning year for him. that isn't to say my hopes of him being an impact player have been diminished at all, but more immediate results were expected considering his pedigree and world championships performance. you can call his year a developmental success and still be disappointed that he needed one.

adam fox, in his limited schedule, has been immensely impressive and maintained his profile if not raised it a few more notches... but as it was for the rest of these guys, until you're doing it for money you're not doing it. stelio mattheos has had a really strong year in the whl, but he will also face the tough task of turning that junior production into nhl production. there has been lots of praise for eetu luostarinen, but the fact that draft eligible players are producing at such a solid clip in the watered down liiga as the top end of the league has escaped to more traditional feeder leagues makes me skeptical of numeric production. it would be great if he's turning a corner, but for a former second round pick he shouldn't be considered to be doing anything wholly unusual. he still needs plenty of time. jack drury has held serve. david cotton started his season quickly and then faded a bit lately, but his progression has been positive. cliff pu has been laughably behind schedule.

great recap. what's the latest on luke martin, morgan geekie and aleksi saarela? how do they fit in, if at all?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
great recap. what's the latest on luke martin, morgan geekie and aleksi saarela? how do they fit in, if at all?
Martin looked good in prospect camp--definitely the best defensive defenseman. However, that is likely not enough to get him into the NHL as a Cane in next 3 years. The only reasonable scenario is for him to be paired with a point-producing LHD. The only one of those in the organization is Jake Bean, and it isn't likely that two youngsters are paired given the Canes defensive depth. Martin might be available if a team is interested.

Geekie is having a solid rookie season in Charlotte. Right now he has shown enough progress to be considered in the 6-12 prospect range. Because he is a right shot, he might get a call up next season. The Checkers have elevated him to the top power play unit (displacing Nicolas Roy). It appears the organization likes his offensive upside. His two-way game is improving.

Saarela is also having a good season in Charlotte. He has been centering Martin Necas--who is learning to play wing on North American ice. Saarela is fast and has one of the better shots in the organization. Many on this board have been wondering when he will get a chance in Raleigh. Given good line mates, he could have NHL potential, or he could be a really good AHLer that never quite fits in.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Saarela was made an example of during the first camp under Rod's command. He didn't show enough try hard and was sent down early for trying to play skilled and the media bought in and made a big deal about Rod and the new "accountability". I'll not comment on what I think about that. I suspect Rod was already not a fan going in. Seeing how he has't gotten a chance yet this year despite no scoring on the big team, and he's been around a couple of years already it's fair to say his future may be in question a bit. For better or worse.

Martin is getting the slow development treatment, with Mckeown unable to get in a game that's probably for the best right now. Roland has probably been a decent third pairing option for two years. I don't think we're going to see Martin in a Canes game for awhile.

Caniackid

Jul 22, 2009
Greenville NC
Martin looked good in prospect camp--definitely the best defensive defenseman. However, that is likely not enough to get him into the NHL as a Cane in next 3 years. The only reasonable scenario is for him to be paired with a point-producing LHD. The only one of those in the organization is Jake Bean, and it isn't likely that two youngsters are paired given the Canes defensive depth. Martin might be available if a team is interested.

Geekie is having a solid rookie season in Charlotte. Right now he has shown enough progress to be considered in the 6-12 prospect range. Because he is a right shot, he might get a call up next season. The Checkers have elevated him to the top power play unit (displacing Nicolas Roy). It appears the organization likes his offensive upside. His two-way game is improving.

Saarela is also having a good season in Charlotte. He has been centering Martin Necas--who is learning to play wing on North American ice. Saarela is fast and has one of the better shots in the organization. Many on this board have been wondering when he will get a chance in Raleigh. Given good line mates, he could have NHL potential, or he could be a really good AHLer that never quite fits in.

Just a small note: Necas has been playing C in Charlotte since coming back from WJC.

Saarela was on his wing for the game yesterday, not sure if that’s been the switch the whole time or not though.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

how about drury and luostarinen? and thanks for the feedback. big help for my sim league :)

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Helvig with his third shutout (20 saves) in last four games. The prior game he gave up one goal in third period. Goalie is doing his part when the team enters the third period tied at worst.
Will certainly be interesting to see how him and Booth develop the next couple of years. Then there's Lafontaine and Makiniemi who look solid. Among those 4, Helvig seems to be #1 in the pecking order for now. I guess whether we re-sign Ned will be telling of what the organization thinks of the current goaltending prospects (unless Ned somehow plays well enough to earn a backup job in the NHL). Either way, Darling definitely needs to be bought out so he quits taking away crucial development time from goalies who may have a future here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad