Hurricanes Owner Rips Rutherford and Pens

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd disagree that those are the only criticism worthy moves. He identified the 4th line as a problem when he arrived, but failed to move Adams and brought back Goc, leaving us with 2/3 of the that line. There was much talk of infusing youth into the line-up, but he left no roster spots open for them.

With that said, he does appear to have learned from those mistakes. As you said, Kessel gives us what we lost in Neal plus some. As Ron Paul pointed out he did get back our second from Toronto, so the Winnik deal is effectively un-done. He's not bringing Adams back. So far he's not made any moves that will block/hinder the kids development. There's still a lot of off-season left, though. I'm still not confident in the hydra's abilities.

I do agree with you 101% that Karmanos' comments were 'unwarranted, unnecessary, and pointless'. I'd add petty and unprofessional to that list as well.

I like Goc as a 4LC, and I believe that the organizations hands were tied with Adams.

I think the real criticism would be something like, "don't get Spaling, ask for a 2nd round pick instead, and spend that money on getting a better bottom-6 player"

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
The even more hilarious piece to this story is the Pens employ Jason Karmanos, Peter's son. He was fired by Peter in Carolina. Must be a whole lotta love in that family!!! Hahahaa!!!

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
There are really only two criticism-worthy moves since JR took over: Despres/Lovejoy and Winnik. Some have argue Hornqvist / Neal, but he Kessel trade should take care of that argument. They need both. Now they have both. You could also argue that he lost too maypny assets for nothing, but that's the norm in sports, it takes progressive GMs to capture value for assets you know you'll lose. Hopefully the Penguins find that in JR's successor.

That said, whatever ills JR had in Carolina, he's yet - again, aside from Despres/Lovejoy, and I do not think that was his call - he's yet to really show them here. He identified weaknesses, he fixed them. It's impossible to fix everything wrong with the team in the 12 months he's been here, but he fixed the most-glaring need, and I'd argue he's a move or two away from having one of the best top-9 cores in the league.

The rest of the team's issues will revolve around Maatta, Letang and Pouliot's progression and health. If they can reach their potential and stay Healthy, their top-4 will be good enough. If not, they'll struggle, like any team would.

This sort of shot is really unwarranted, unnecessary, and pointless. Rutherford has been the butt of jokes since he took this job. It's a shame.

Jury's still out on the Perron trade. If his number is too rich and we let him walk, I don't like a first for him at all, which I said at the time.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I like Goc as a 4LC, and I believe that the organizations hands were tied with Adams.

I think the real criticism would be something like, "don't get Spaling, ask for a 2nd round pick instead, and spend that money on getting a better bottom-6 player"

Yeah Spaling played like Alex Semin last year only for less money (LMAO), but still to much for a trade tag-a-long.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Jury's still out on the Perron trade. If his number is too rich and we let him walk, I don't like a first for him at all, which I said at the time.

That's fair. I'm a Perron fan and I expect him to have s big year this year, so that's probably clouding my judgment. Also wish the team would lock him up now.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
That's fair. I'm a Perron fan and I expect him to have s big year this year, so that's probably clouding my judgment. Also wish the team would lock him up now.

I rarely agree with you... but i'm 100% with you on this.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Just remember when Neal joined this team... I think he had 2 goals for the Pens from the trade deadline through their playoff exit. Perron will be much better in 15'-16'. Don't forget he played the last few weeks with injured ribs.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I will say this, for as old and bald as Peter Karmanos is... his wife is smokin hot!!!! So he's got that goin for him, which is nice. LOL

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks

Wonder if Danielle caused Jason and Dad to have some "mommy issues"???
Jason to Peter: Suppose Danielle sees me coming out of the shower and decides to come on to me. I'm looking good, got a luscious v of hair going through my chest pubes down to my ball fro. She takes one look at me and goes " Oh my god, I've had the old bull now I want the young calf" Hahahaaaa...sorry couldn't resist.:D

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm all for swapping first round picks if it actually leads to the long-term betterment of the club. The way Shero pissed away 1st rounders on rentals was the WRONG way of doing it. JR on the other hand seems to have a solid grasp of the kind of return you should be getting when trading away your 1st round picks.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't include Staal in terms of 1st round picks we traded away, if only because we got a lot of mileage out of him and we in turn traded him for a first rounder.

Most mid-to-late 1st rounders turn out to be duds anyway. They're overrated in terms of value so you might as well exploit that. The Wings recognize this, but they draft and develop well enough to mitigate their lack of 1st round picks.

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
You guys are looking at this entirely the wrong way. What you need to do is put this line from Karmanos:

"I think they’ll sell that team for between $700 and $800 million in Pittsburgh, and the cupboard will be pretty bare by that time

With this tweet from Aaron Ward:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think Perron will turn out to be teh kind of player we hoped he would be.

If that prices him out of what we can reasonably allocate to a player who isn't on the first powerplay (don't forget that he's up the same year Maatta is), the trade would still have been bad.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
You guys are looking at this entirely the wrong way. What you need to do is put this line from Karmanos:

With this tweet from Aaron Ward:

Ah, yes. Buy my awesome, reliable Prius. You don't want that sports car that gets horrible gas mileage. Makes sense now.

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
1st round picks in the NHL don't have the same value that they do in other sports. I don't mind giving up picks for proven top end players. If you can take a crap shoot (the pick) and turned it into a proven commodity with upside then you've done well. I'll always take proven players over picks that may never pan out.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Some stuff from Madden's show yesterday about Perron. Says Pens aren't enamored with Perron and said he personally talked with someone in the NHL who said he couldn't believe they traded a first round pick for him.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
I'm all for swapping first round picks if it actually leads to the long-term betterment of the club. The way Shero pissed away 1st rounders on rentals was the WRONG way of doing it. JR on the other hand seems to have a solid grasp of the kind of return you should be getting when trading away your 1st round picks.

Thats fine, this certainly is a much better way to utilize 1st rounders in a trade than what Shero was doing. The problem is it's very difficult to get top performers on the team with entry level contracts if we keep trading the best picks possible for obtaining them.

It's great on paper and all to have a highly paid established team but the ones that typically win the cup are the teams that have key performances out of players playing way above their cap hit. Especially now with Kessel on board and another big chunk of cap tied to one player we really do need good production out of cheap entry level contract players.

We certainly cannot afford to piss away cap space on the likes of Scuderi and the other overpaid under performing vets.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Thats fine, this certainly is a much better way to utilize 1st rounders in a trade than what Shero was doing. The problem is it's very difficult to get top performers on the team with entry level contracts if we keep trading the best picks possible for obtaining them.

It's great on paper and all to have a highly paid established team but the ones that typically win the cup are the teams that have key performances out of players playing way above their cap hit. Especially now with Kessel on board and another big chunk of cap tied to one player we really do need good production out of cheap entry level contract players.

We certainly cannot afford to piss away cap space on the likes of Scuderi and the other overpaid under performing vets.

No doubt the Pens need to stop pissing away picks for nothing. Though to be fair they do not have the worst farm in the NHL. I think they are ranked in the middle of the pack at HF,

They can not change the past, and honestly anything done in coming years will pay off likely when Crosby and Malkin are on the downside of their careers. Signing guys like Blake Comeau on the cheap will be important.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
You employed Rutherford for two decades...if you think he's an idiot what does that make you?

exactly this. this is like when a guy badmouth his ex-wife of two decades.

on the other hand this is another reason why I hated Shero. we coughed up FAs without getting anything back, tons of them. except for Staal I don't remember him trading anything as a seller...

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
The last two days have been good for some laughs.

Karmanos talking about sound business decisions and Jeff O'Neil talking about having a good attitude and proper conditioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad