Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Maple Leafs | Feb 4, 2013 | Click & Gel? Or Gel & Click?

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Loss to the Flyers? After a night to sleep on it I realize: I'm not even mad.

I'm not at all disappointed that we lost a game against arguably one of the biggest flounder stories in the East the night after beating the Sens. After all, it's so totally typical to lose the 2nd half of two games in two days if we discount that the Flyers had played another terribad game themselves the night before against the Caps. Missing Simmonds and Hartnell and on a 3 game skid? *****, please. I'm tired of hearing all these excuses about how we should have won that game in Philly.

Once our most talented forwards start clicking and gelling, our top two -- and possibly even our third line -- will be a handful for most teams. There hasn't been a lot of click with Jokinen yet on the gel third line

Our power play? I wouldn't even want to be an opposing PK unit once Semin and Staal are gelling and clicking, which is looking like March at the earliest.

Penalty killing? Whoa nellie. These Canes are a team who commit a metric **** ton of penalties (mostly invisible, and always 100% stupid), but thanks to gelling and clicking together early this band of merry PK brothers has played remarkably well once you subtract last night's 0-3 effort against the anemic Fliers PP!

Defense? Please. All these guys need is a little more time to see how their pairings are gelling, and patience waiting for them to click. Most of this gelling is going to involve rediscovering just how utterly terrible Joe Corvo is at hockey and how out of shape Jamie McBain is.

Goaltending... Please, let's not even go there. Cam Ward and Dan Ellis had breakfast together in Philadelphia at the hotel yesterday morning, and Tripp Tracy witnessed this gel and click act himself. (Which reminds me, we need the mods to figure out a way to create a "Confirmed with Tripp Tracy" prefix.)

Teammate camaraderie. Camaraderie among teammates. This hockey **** doesn't just gel up and start clicking overnight. We have a remodeled locker room and an NHL caliber heavy in Kevin Westgarth (who is bad at hockey) to incorporate into our gel mix. Andreas Nodl? He forgot about gel while he was down in Charlotte. Boychuk took his gel which was on the verge of clicking on a one-way ticket to Pittsburgh.

I encourage patience at every turn as we juggle lines mid-game and anxiously await players to click.

==========

Game notes:

The Hurricanes were 3-0-1 against the Leafs last year, which was pretty good, right? I mean, we lost OT games quite a bit/almost always.

Jay Harrison had two goals against the Leafs, which was revenge for giving up on him, or perhaps not realizing he's a good interview guy.

Phil Kessel is a total mess this season. Did you know he has 36 shots on the year, which leads the NHL? Did you also know that he has zero goals to go with those 36 shots, which makes him ripe for going bananas against us? I'm no fantasy sports guru, but acquire him immediately.

Gelling and clicking is upon us. So far we've been doing lots more gelling than we have clicking, but it's coming.

1.) Gel.
2.) Click.
3.) ???
4.) Rebuild year. Or playoffs. Pick one.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember that time in 2002 when we upset the purists and traditionalists and won the Eastern Conference against the Maple Leafs.

Oh and 5-1 loss. Kessel Hat trick. Staal useless late 3rd period goal. 0-7 on the PP, Toronto 5-5 on it. Fire Maurice.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I apologize that you misinterpreted. I was not being serious in any way.

Er, well, not non-sarcastic serious anyway.

No, my apologies, I was in the middle of reading a serious book for class when I typed this... apparently my sarcasm was lacking, but was totally intended :)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
We must aquire his special power!!

MapleLeaf_zpsfcdc34da.png

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
League worst combined PP and PK with 80.8%

with the amount of penalties called this year they really need to get this gelling

gel

This tells the story right here. This team is 4-3 or 5-2 if their special teams didnt suck so hard. Of course they do so it doesn't matter.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I, also, can't wait to see what happens when Semin starts gelling. :towel:

And even though I'm not usually one to get very worked up about early-season games, this is a fairly big one. Win this, you get to .500 and hopefully can build from there. Lose and you've got yourself a pretty big hill to climb just to get back to spitting distance of the 9/10 spots.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Semin scores 5 goals just to troll Don Cherry. May or may not slide half the length of the ice after his 5th makes the game 9-2 with three minutes left.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Muller trolls Canes HFboards/causes meltdown when Chad moved to 2nd line. Whiffs on 5, pots 2g (illegitimate). 5-1 loss that would never happen if only Boychuck-rhymes-with-Suck were there. Stupid JR, I hate this team.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
The Leafs are the other team I love to see get destroyed after the Panthers. Heres to a big coming out party for Semin...

5-4 OT loss.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I had a dream last night that Pitkanen scored and I looked at TOI and he and McBain played 40 minutes a piece. Seems slightly far fetched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad