OT: Hurricanes Lounge XIX: Turkey appreciation and Black Friday depreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Why can't things be easy?

I'm trying to enroll in an economics class that will help me complete my minor before I graduate in December. However, I was not allowed to enroll in the class during the enrollment period because it doesn't think I met the prerequisites. It's a statistics-based economics/econometrics class. I'm a statistics major. I think that I would, by default, have the required knowledge to take that course, but none of the classes I was required to take as a statistics major are listed among the prerequisites. Instead, only courses designed for pretty much any other major are listed as possibilities. As such, I wasn't able to be added to the class and it eventually filled up.

Fast forward to now. I'm trying to get into the course, but the only possible way to do so is to fill out some Pejorative Slured petition for the Poole College of Management to consider, and then either grant me or deny me access to the class. I filled one out last Wednesday, and it was denied due to the fact that the class had 40/40 seats filled. They can't change the class size above 40 students, despite there being 50 physical seats in the classroom. I filled out a petition again yesterday, with one open seat on the class roster, and it got rejected again this morning...possibly because the way the computer system reserves seats for particular majors is utterly Pejorative Slured. There are 39 students in there, but the last seat may be reserved for an economics major...which, as far as I can tell...nobody has petitioned for the class aside from myself.

So I sent in another petition today, and also walked by the advising office for the Poole College of Management to see if there was any way to guarantee me a spot in the class, assuming that no other economics major requests the class by 4 PM today to be enrolled in the class tomorrow morning. I was told that nothing was a guarantee, but that I'd have to wait and see what the result of tomorrow's petition is to find out for sure. Neither my adviser in the statistics department nor the professor for the course I'm trying to enroll in can do anything about adding me to the course, it's only up to the committee that reviews these petitions. So basically, I won't know if I get into the class until the last possible day to sign up for classes for Poole at 10 AM tomorrow, and I won't know if anybody else put in a petition for the seat until the 4 PM deadline to physically claim a seat, which is after the deadline to add a class.

tl;dr : I'm certainly qualified to take a class, but everything is incredibly stupid.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
guys there is going to be an ice storm tonight

we will get a quarter inch of ice

power will go out for two and a half days

multiple vehicles will explode on suburban streets

mass cannibalism begins to take hold in cary

these are the end times

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
What might happen with this winter weather?

Can we top what happened last year?
attachment.php

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Speaking of an 8 team playoff, it sounds like the NFL is going to that format soon. I'm not sure how I feel about that, while it would be cool to see a #8 knock off a #1, it seems like another case of fixing what is not broke, which is something Roger Goodell seems to be good at.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
guys there is going to be an ice storm tonight

we will get a quarter inch of ice

power will go out for two and a half days

multiple vehicles will explode on suburban streets

mass cannibalism begins to take hold in cary

these are the end times

So what you are saying is things are going to get.......

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Both teams wayyyy overachieved for expansion franchises. It took the Texans like 8 years just to make the playoffs, and I still don't think they've made the AFCCG. If we had Jags/Panthers in that SB it might have been one of the unlikeliest match-ups in sports history, let alone the NFL. It'd be like the if the Thrashers and Blue Jackets met in the 2002 SCF

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's a shame alcohol more or less destroyed Kerry Collins during his time here. Although part of me also thinks the Panthers overachieved that year.

1997: GB's first superbowl in many years. In the 70s and 80s, the GB Packers were a bit like the Canes are now. Marginal team at best, usually pretty bad, occasionally it came together for them to make the playoffs once every 7-8 years, poor drafting, poor development, and no UFAs wanted to sign there. Sound familiar?

What changed?

1) New GM (Ron Wolf)
2) New Coach (Mike Holmgren)
3) Much better drafting and developing under these two
4) Got a star player (Favre)

Once that happened, UFAs such as Reggie White, Keith Jackson, Santana Dotson, Charles Woodson (later on) etc...wanted to play there and it changed the whole franchise.

Canes situation:

1) New GM: Check
2) New Coach: Check
3) Better drafting and developing: TBD, but they are saying and acting the right way for now.
4) Getting a star player? Only if they win the lottery or get lucky.

Now the question will be, can the new coach and GM make the right impact. Also, re: star player, the QB in Football is so much more important that any skater position in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad