Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes hire Dean Chynoweth as Assistant Coach

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Hey look, an outside hire!

The closest thing to a connection to the current regime I can come up with was that John Forslund was the announcer for the Springfield Indiams when he played one season there. That’s it before you start going all 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. 2 degrees in all likelihood as I’m sure he played against Brind’amour plenty with the Islanders.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
The closest thing to a connection to the current regime I can come up with was that John Forslund was the announcer for the Springfield Indiams when he played one season there. That’s it before you start going all 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. 2 degrees in all likelihood as I’m sure he played against Brind’amour plenty with the Islanders.

Same old same old. Afraid to take chances with staff.

The sarcasm is dripping onto my phone as I type this, well atleast I hope it’s sarcasm.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I strongly have no opinion on this hire.
this really is a {fantastic | terrible} hire. I've long thought that Chynoweth was an {amazing | awful} player who logically would make for a {splendid | brutally incompetent} coach on this level, and it's clear from his {successful | gong-show} stint as an assistant and in the lower professional leagues that I was right all along.

to me this is just another sign that Dundon, Waddell & Company have a {visionary | woefully misguided} approach to filling out Rod Brind'Amour's staff. I'll be {encouraged | shocked beyond belief | nonplussed} if it doesn't directly result in {positive | incoherent | embarrassing} results on the ice as soon as training camp.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I mean... He went from being a Head Coach in the AHL for 4 years to being a piddly Associate Coach for teenagers last year. Can't be that good amirite?

Associate coach in the WHL after all that, is somewhat puzzling. Although, I know some of these guys bounce around a lot.

2017-2018 associate coach whl
2012-2016 hc ahl
2009-2012 assistant coach nhl
2000-2009 hc whl

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Associate coach in the WHL after all that, is somewhat puzzling. Although, I know some of these guys bounce around a lot.

2017-2018 associate coach whl
2012-2016 hc ahl
2009-2012 assistant coach nhl
2000-2009 hc whl

According to Wiki, his dad helped create the modern WHL/CHL and was the President of the entire CHL for 20 years between 1975-1995. He probably has a billion ties throughout the league and was just taking a lower post for a year to re-consider his career path. Rather than an Associate WHL coaching position being the only thing he could find.

So while he isn't a part of our country club, Dean is a member of the OG hockey country club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad