GDT: Hurricanes@Flyers 2/9 1pm : We can haz winning streak?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I am going to go nuts if Sanguinetti is in the line-up next game. Corvo played a really solid game, even in the defensive zone. No reason to scratch him again. I still don't know why McBain got scratched, but it's insanity to be playing Sanguinetti over him. The second I saw him on the ice during OT i knew the Flyers were going to score.

This is the horror that is our defensive options. McBain was not as good as Sangs in the game against Ottawa. Not that Sangs was good, he was just less bad.

Our current plan seems to be 'reward whoever plays the least bad.' Not the most inspiring of policies.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
The thing is, we have 3 guys who are at BEST bottom pairing guys right now and the hopes of scratching one for the other is that that the next guy up has a good game (in this case Corvo did) and that the guy you chose to stick with earns that spot (Sangs doesn't)

I've been against going after a guy like Douglas Murray because I've seen every Shark game and he's not good but at least he hits people and blocks shots (Something our D rarely does). They have the D depth to trade him as well.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Or, if we convert to GA/60 to make this list more telling:

Sanguinetti: 5.07 GA/60
Harrison: 3.71 GA/60
Gleason: 3.14 GA/60
Corvo: 2.37 GA/60
Faulk: 1.62 GA/60
Pitkanen: 1.25 GA/60
McBain: 1.01 GA/60

Or something like that.

The amazing thing about these numbers is that I'm sure we've done our best to "protect" Sanguinetti from having to play tough defensive minutes. I think that probably explains why McBain is the best statistically, ahead of our obviously best defensemen, Faulk and Pitkanen. Yet Bobby still manages to give up an utterly ridiculous number of even-strength goals against. There's just no justification for having this guy in the lineup.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Jay Harrison sucks, too.

I just can't understand how we can dress in same time 'players' like Corvo, Harrison and Sangs.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
The good: the canes picked up three of four points they didn't deserve.

The bad: the canes picked up three of four points they didn't deserve.

The team shouldn't be ok with how they played. If they play like this all season they won't win many games.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
The amazing thing about these numbers is that I'm sure we've done our best to "protect" Sanguinetti from having to play tough defensive minutes. I think that probably explains why McBain is the best statistically, ahead of our obviously best defensemen, Faulk and Pitkanen. Yet Bobby still manages to give up an utterly ridiculous number of even-strength goals against. There's just no justification for having this guy in the lineup.

This x100. McBain was pretty bad his previous two games, but even at his low he is better than Sanguinetti. It's mind boggling how bad he has been with his limited ice time. He has directly caused a goal against in almost every game.

The coaches see something in Sanguinetti that I don't, and must think he just needs more time to break-out like Faulk of last year. Faulk was terrible at the start of last season, but we had the luxury to send him down to the Checkers for awhile. The only reason we must be keeping him in the line-up is to show other teams how terrible he is so he won't get claimed.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
If we sit McBain for being a -2 in Ottawa, then Sangs better not be in the line up Monday. I'm over the Sangs experiment, he is not better than McBain, and at this point, I wouldn't even say he's better than Corvo. Dude either needs to go to Charlotte or sit in the press box. Over him.

As for the game, we got a point and at this time points are points. Would have been nice getting the 2 points, but down a goal in the 3rd in Philly, a point is a little victory. Baby steps.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
The good: the canes picked up three of four points they didn't deserve.

The bad: the canes picked up three of four points they didn't deserve.

The team shouldn't be ok with how they played. If they play like this all season they won't win many games.

I agree they shouldn't be happy with how they played lately but you're not going to play consistly good all the time unless you're a really good team...With the Canes flaws, They are a fringe playoff team.

Furthermore, I do like that the Third period has been their best. Winning the third period is key for good teams.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Joe Corvo ****ing amaxing dman.
He's been scratched twice this season and has come back both times with steady play and points. Sanguinetti on the other hand has 0 points and has done absolutely nothing to help the defense. As bad as a defenseman Corvo usually is I don't want to see him scratched before Sanguinetti again.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
If we sit McBain for being a -2 in Ottawa, then Sangs better not be in the line up Monday. I'm over the Sangs experiment, he is not better than McBain, and at this point, I wouldn't even say he's better than Corvo. Dude either needs to go to Charlotte or sit in the press box. Over him.

I bet that sitting McBain after his -2 in Ottawa was likely us seeing Muller's "accountability" strategy in action. It's also likely that the organization pushed him to give Sangs one more chance, because they seem to be so high on him, and this was the perfect time. Either way, I'd be shocked if Sangs doesn't get benched when we face the Islanders.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Fun fact: If Sanguinetti was a goalie his 5.07 GAA would place him second to last in the league. He'd be right above Michael Leighton who has a 5.08 GAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad