News Article: Hurricanes Extend Lease at PNC Arena for Five Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some of the best wings that I've had in the Triangle are at Heavenly Buffaloes in Durham. Little takeout place on Markham between Broad and Iredell. I think the guy the guy that owns Dains Place on Ninth Street started it.
looks like they have a 2nd location over by Duke University as well as locations in Chapel Hill and Greensboro.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
If I want good, authentic wings, I just make them myself. Grew up near Buffalo, so, I've been eating them basically my entire life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ While being a somewhat messy operation, they're fairly easy to make: fry up some large, meaty wings (with no coating) in some peanut oil & toss them in Frank's Red Hot & melted butter. Add minced garlic to the sauce, to your liking.

If we don't feel like making them, believe it or not, Assaggio's in Fuquay-Varina does them pretty well. The first time we had them there, the owner (who I know), asked me for input. Told him what changes he needed to make & since then, they're pretty spot on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Some of the best wings that I've had in the Triangle are at Heavenly Buffaloes in Durham. Little takeout place on Markham between Broad and Iredell. I think the guy the guy that owns Dains Place on Ninth Street started it.
yep, that place is legitimately good, like damn good.
looks like they have a 2nd location over by Duke University as well as locations in Chapel Hill and Greensboro.
the one by Duke (East Campus) is the original location IIRC. Wish they would expand to have a location here in Winston or one in Raleigh.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

yep, that place is legitimately good, like damn good.

the one by Duke (East Campus) is the original location IIRC. Wish they would expand to have a location here in Winston or one in Raleigh.

I'm currently working on a project just a couple of blocks from that one on Erwin Rd. I may have to try it out now.

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If I want good, authentic wings, I just make them myself. Grew up near Buffalo, so, I've been eating them basically my entire life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ While being a somewhat messy operation, they're fairly easy to make: fry up some large, meaty wings (with no coating) in some peanut oil & toss them in Frank's Red Hot & melted butter. Add minced garlic to the sauce, to your liking.

If we don't feel like making them, believe it or not, Assaggio's in Fuquay-Varina does them pretty well. The first time we had them there, the owner (who I know), asked me for input. Told him what changes he needed to make & since then, they're pretty spot on.

You're missing apple cider vinegar and a dash of cayenne pepper in your recipe. Before even tasting them I can tell that a lot of wings aren't completely true to the original Anchor Bar recipe because they lack that whiff of vinegar. (I'm originally from Syracuse and have been eating them since the 1980s) Had a coworker from Buffalo who in the early 90s shared the original recipe with what at the time was the only bar actually located inside RTP (a little converted gas station at the corner of Cornwallis and Alexander). They were killing it, until one day the cook showed up with yellow eyes and the county issued a public health notice suggesting that anyone who had eaten there within the last 10 days go to the Durham public health office for a Hep A inoculation. No patrons contracted the disease but the bar never recovered and went out of business, which was a shame because it was owned by a local older couple who had sunk their life savings into starting it.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
You're missing apple cider vinegar and a dash of cayenne pepper in your recipe. Before even tasting them I can tell that a lot of wings aren't completely true to the original Anchor Bar recipe because they lack that whiff of vinegar. (I'm originally from Syracuse and have been eating them since the 1980s) Had a coworker from Buffalo who in the early 90s shared the original recipe with what at the time was the only bar actually located inside RTP (a little converted gas station at the corner of Cornwallis and Alexander). They were killing it, until one day the cook showed up with yellow eyes and the county issued a public health notice suggesting that anyone who had eaten there within the last 10 days go to the Durham public health office for a Hep A inoculation. No patrons contracted the disease but the bar never recovered and went out of business, which was a shame because it was owned by a local older couple who had sunk their life savings into starting it.
My mom has that recipe kicking around somewhere - I believe it was from a newspaper clipping from the 70's, lol. I don't remember the apple cider vinegar, but, as far as the cayenne, we'll put it in from time to time, but, for most people, the heat from the Frank's is enough. I'm gonna have to try a batch with the ACV.

EDIT: My grandparents lived in Fulton for awhile. I remember the snows there vividly.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The actual honest to god original recipe for the sauce was just frank's red hot and butter, half and half. It's been tweaked over the years to make a thousand variations (adding cayenne plus additional vinegar might be the original hot version?), but you can't say the 50/50 mix isn't completely and totally authentic.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The actual honest to god original recipe for the sauce was just frank's red hot and butter, half and half. It's been tweaked over the years to make a thousand variations (adding cayenne plus additional vinegar might be the original hot version?), but you can't say the 50/50 mix isn't completely and totally authentic.

I don't know about the original 1964 recipe, but I'm still of the belief that the recipe for the majority of the bar's history includes vinegar. And if you look at the ingredients on the bottled sauce they sell, it includes vinegar in addition to the vinegar in the Frank's sauce. Also, if you compare Frank's Red Hot sauce to Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce, one big difference is that the wing sauce has a higher concentration of vinegar (this is from memory; I compared them once but don't have the wing sauce in my cupboard at the moment). Until I see definitive proof otherwise I'm sticking with vinegar; if you wish, we can always meet in the parking lot of the Anchor Bar to discuss it further!

1689471576694.png

71Z180SUCgL._SL1250_.jpg

Reactions: DaveG

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
Also from Buffalo and 50/50 Franks/butter is how we make ours - maybe a dash of celery salt. Honestly to me starting with big, meaty wings is really one of the biggest keys to feeling they are "authentic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad