Rumor: Hurricanes coach Muller 'will be dismissed' at season's end

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think you could have fit more assumptions in that post.

I'm not saying Pete is/isn't a good trainer, but a) never trust any height/weight numbers thrown around in sports, ever b) this to has always been made up of fragile players c) Skinner/Faulk getting better have as much to do with their age as it does with where they're training.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don't know what the reason is, but this team is the Robitussin of hockey. Non-narcotic sissy pansy ********.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
He advocates that the players eat a vegetarian diet?

That was a tongue-in-cheek jab at his suggested diets. They take the young players out, during rookie camp, and show them how to shop for lean, organic foods with a dietitian. They showed this in one of the videos they made a couple of years ago.

When you burn as many calories and carbs as a pro hockey player does, you don't need to worry about counting calories! These guys don't need to "watch their weight" as Pete stresses. There are no Dustin Byfugliens that need to worry about a few pounds!

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That was a tongue-in-cheek jab at his suggested diets. They take the young players out, during rookie camp, and show them how to shop for lean, organic foods with a dietitian. They showed this in one of the videos they made a couple of years ago.

When you burn as many calories and carbs as a pro hockey player does, you don't need to worry about counting calories! These guys don't need to "watch their weight" as Pete stresses. There are no Dustin Byfugliens that need to worry about a few pounds!

Hey, man, I didn't realize you were a nutritionist -- that's awesome! Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about my own diet?

1. The name of your practice -- "Big Kahuna Nutrition for Big Strong Hockey Players" -- implies that you advocate a diet of Big Kahuna burgers. I mostly sit on my ass for a living, but I'm excited by your method. How many Big Kahuna burgers should I eat in a day to stay in top physical condition?

2. I notice that when I eat lots of lean proteins and clean carbs, I feel pretty good -- but when I eat lots of fat and "bad" carbs like sugar, I feel sluggish. Am I confusing cause and effect here?

3. I've been considering the "three milkshakes a day" diet. Will I need to allocate more naptime?

4. Do you even lift, bro?

Thanks again! I'll hang up and listen.

--hank

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

You are way over-exaggerating this stuff. The Gary Robert's program (which everyone touts as one of the best training regimens in the off season) puts a lot of stress on diet. In fact, that was one of the things he commented on Skinner having a good grasp of early on. Stamkos also is a disciple.

Roberts on nutrition:

“Proper diet is the number one thing NHL players and organizations don’t pay enough attention to. It drives me crazy. When I was in Tampa, we had four dessert options on the airplane! There was the cheesecake tray, the cookie tray, the ice cream tray, the little Smartie-Tootsie Roll tray. I’m thinking, ‘Are we actually a professional hockey team?’ If you ate all those things, you wouldn’t wake up for three days! The biggest thing I’m teaching these guys is that you don’t recover without proper nutrition. You will never make the gains you can make if you don’t eat right.â€

Steven Stamkos had some adjustments to make during his first summer with Roberts.

“It was a big adjustment. The first two weeks we started the program, your body is not just used to that type of food. You are used to laying on the mayo, the ranch dressing. It was depressing at first. But once my body got used to it, it was fine. The food was great. I didn’t know what some of it was, but it was unbelievable. There was this mango parfait I still crave.â€

I'm not saying Pete is doing the same thing as Roberts and I have no opinion of Pete, but to complain that a team's trainer is preaching proper nutrition to new draft picks is ridiculous.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The shopping for lean, organic foods part is one aspect I have no problem with, though you're definitely right that we don't have any Big Buf types that need to worry much about calories or a few pounds. Generally speaking eating a better diet is going to increase ones energy level and what they get out of training just from the better balance of vitamins and nutrients alone.

BMI is total ******** though when you're talking about highly trained athletes. And IIRC wasn't the 5K the place where Williams got his first in a recurring set of injuries while he was here, at a time when Pete was pushing for many of the guys to do it?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hey, man, I didn't realize you were a nutritionist -- that's awesome! Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about my own diet?

1. The name of your practice -- "Big Kahuna Nutrition for Big Strong Hockey Players" -- implies that you advocate a diet of Big Kahuna burgers. I mostly sit on my ass for a living, but I'm excited by your method. How many Big Kahuna burgers should I eat in a day to stay in top physical condition?

2. I notice that when I eat lots of lean proteins and clean carbs, I feel pretty good -- but when I eat lots of fat and "bad" carbs like sugar, I feel sluggish. Am I confusing cause and effect here?

3. I've been considering the "three milkshakes a day" diet. Will I need to allocate more naptime?

4. Do you even lift, bro?

Thanks again! I'll hang up and listen.

--hank

:laugh: I need to learn to wait for Hank to respond before I even attempt to.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And IIRC wasn't the 5K the place where Williams got his first in a recurring set of injuries while he was here, at a time when Pete was pushing for many of the guys to do it?

I think it was Brindy that got injured (actually re-injured after offseason recovery from his knee injury) during the Friesen 5K. I thought at the time that Brindy really wasn't 100% recovered and the run inflamed it. Seriously though, if he re-injured himself in a 5K run, he was very likely not going to last very long during the season.

Williams first got injured with Carolina in a game against Fla. IIRC (but he previously had torn his ACL with PHilly).

EDIT: Yep, it was Brindy.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/for-brindamour-fun-run-was-painful

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it was Brindy that got injured (actually re-injured after offseason recovery from his knee injury) during the Friesen 5K. I thought at the time that Brindy really wasn't 100% recovered and the run inflamed it. Seriously though, if he re-injured himself in a 5K run, he was very likely not going to last very long during the season.

Williams first got injured with Carolina in a game against Fla. IIRC (but he previously had torn his ACL with PHilly).

EDIT: Yep, it was Brindy.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/for-brindamour-fun-run-was-painful

Yeah knew it was one of the key players at the time that had gotten hurt. I thought it was Williams, though 08-09... yep that was the first season Brindy was just completely off his game here.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Bottom line is, Pete's methods have been questioned by more than a few people over the years, and it's time they brought in a REAL trainer.

The days of 98 pound weaklings needs to end. Feed them boys some steak, and put them in the weight room, not the aerobics class! Pete had no business thinking he could make Jordan a better player by making him skinny. The object was to make him faster. Yeah, speed has been his problem all during his tenure with Pittsburgh. Pete is obsessed with weight, and has trimmed down quite a few players during his time here...to no obvious benefit.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah knew it was one of the key players at the time that had gotten hurt. I thought it was Williams, though 08-09... yep that was the first season Brindy was just completely off his game here. Have to think he never fully recovered from that injury in the 5K.

I suspect it wasn't the 5K though. I think it's more he never really recovered from the knee surgery that he had previously. Like I said, if he had to have surgery to fix something from that 5K run, it's very unlikely he would have lasted during an NHL season. Even Brindy felt that way:

Brind'Amour doesn't second-guess participating in the event and said he may have been fortunate to discover the knee needed arthroscopic surgery.
“It’s better to find something then than a couple of weeks down the road,” he said.

My point in all this is that if we want to complain about Pete F. (which is fine by me), then at least let's stick to valid complaints. Do the Canes have more "trainer-related" type injuries than other teams? Do they take longer to recover? Do the Canes lack the strength vs. similar sized players on other teams? Do the Canes wear out faster than other similar sized teams? Are his training methods antiquated and outside the norm compared to other teams? Is he part of a regime that has failed to produce over the past 5 years so needs to go to clean house? etc.. I have no problem with any of those complaints.

Complaining about a 5K run for professional athletes and teaching good nutrition to new draftees seems to be a bit of a stretch to me.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Bottom line is, Pete's methods have been questioned by more than a few people over the years, and it's time they brought in a REAL trainer.

Bottom line is, Pete may or may not be part of the problem, and despite your VERY STRONG SPORTS TAEK, you don't actually know **** about it.

--hank

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Make all the assumptions you want. The guys' methods dont work in this decade of the NHL. Like a coach, he needs to adapt.

Better yet, he needs to be replaced.

I realize many of you didnt come around until after 2006, but groin pulls became a running joke every fall.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Of all the places on the Internet, you're going to accuse this group of being bandwagoners?

Also, you're wrong. It was like one or two years with the groin pulls, and like one or two guys. Mostly the older ones.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Make all the assumptions you want. The guys' methods dont work in this decade of the NHL. Like a coach, he needs to adapt.

Make all the assertions you want. There are literally dozens of possible reasons we can cite for the Hurricanes' lack of competitiveness, and you've provided zero evidence that player fitness is one of the top 50.

You also don't help your case by hollering "DERP MOAR STEAKZ" and implying that if only our hockey players ate a little less like elite athletes and a little more like Art Donovan, they'd suffer fewer groin injuries.

--hank

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Better yet, he needs to be replaced.

I realize many of you didnt come around until after 2006, but groin pulls became a running joke every fall.

So wait, you are saying that groin pulls that occurred a decade ago is the rationale for your stating the trainer's methods don't work a decade later? :laugh:

dammit100

Nov 5, 2009
Raleigh, NC
wasn't the biggest rash (not like that) of groin pulls after lockouts? and weren't a LOT of teams who saw multiple players miss time with the same injury?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We are a squad of wee nancies. Not much denying that. It's attitude as much as off ice habits though. Even our big guys rarely play big. I don't know how much Pete has to do with it, but at times like these when we are going through change I don't think it's a bad idea to get as many fresh voices as possible. We don't have a lot to show for our loyalty to players or staff. We suck, we're making changes, no one should be safe.

Groin pulls in training camp are pretty common to all teams. Those teams with guys who do less work in the off season tend to get hit the hardest though.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Too late?

Peter_zps99c5fc2d.jpg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nah, in order for that meme to work, it has to be something like:

"Whether Jimmy or Johnny, 2% of training is hardwork. The other 98% is unrustled"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad