Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes claim G Anton Forsberg (UPD: Waived)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes FO is doing exactly as I had predicted: squeezing every last drop of cap space that they possibly can. They clearly want to be big trade deadline players again.
How is this squeezing every drop of cap space? They claimed Forsberg as protection in case Ned got claimed. Once Ned cleared, the waived Forsberg, who never even left Edmonton. They didn’t want Forsberg unless Ned was claimed.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
How is this squeezing every drop of cap space? They claimed Forsberg as protection in case Ned got claimed. Once Ned cleared, the waived Forsberg, who never even left Edmonton. They didn’t want Forsberg unless Ned was claimed.

Sending Geekie, Ned, and Bean to the taxi squad & running 20 men = squeezing every last drop of cap space. You keep that going without any LTIR, and you will have $9M+ to spend for deadline upgrades. You can spend $7M of that and still have room for Geekie and Bean to be called up after it's all done.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Canes FO is doing exactly as I had predicted: squeezing every last drop of cap space that they possibly can. They clearly want to be big trade deadline players again.
I don't think there is anyone that wouldn't have expected them to manipulate that as possible. I don't know if they will or won't be players at the deadline. It depends on how the team is doing and who is available and injuries. But yes, they want to be prepared if it comes to making an acquisition. No surprise there.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sending Geekie, Ned, and Bean to the taxi squad & running 20 men = squeezing every last drop of cap space. You keep that going without any LTIR, and you will have $9M+ to spend for deadline upgrades. You can spend $7M of that and still have room for Geekie and Bean to be called up.
Ok, but that has nothing to do with waiving Forsberg, which is what this topic is about, which is why your comment didn’t make sense to me in thst context.

going with a 20 man roster when you have only ~200k in cap space is pretty much common sense, particularly when you have a taxi squad at your disposal.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ok, but that has nothing to do with waiving Forsberg, which is what this topic is about, which is why your comment didn’t make sense to me in thst context.

going with a 20 man roster when you have only ~200k in cap space is pretty much common sense, particularly when you have a taxi squad at your disposal.

Forsberg was the insurance policy for cap gymnastics. That's what I was saying. Waiving him just as soon as they had claimed him confirmed what I was suspecting. If they didn't, I would be wondering if the FO wasn't trusting Ned as the #3.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Forsberg was the insurance policy for cap gymnastics. That's what I was saying. Waiving him just as soon as they had claimed him confirmed what I was suspecting. If they didn't, I would be wondering if the FO wasn't trusting Ned as the #3.

Meh. You’re making too much out of it imo. They weren’t going to keep 3 goalies on the NHL roster. Ned was going to be waived to be on the taxi squad. Even if Carolina had gobs of cap space, that’s the likely move and Forsberg was simply an insurance policy. The vast majority of NHL teams have the same setup, 2 nhl goalies and 1 taxi squad guy.

Of course teams want to save cap space when they can though, that’s just common sense.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad