GDT: HURRICANES AT ISLANDERS, BEAT THEY ASS INTO NEXT SEASON EDITION

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I WASN’T ALLUDING TO ANY SPECIFIC COMMENT OF YOURS. JUST ASKED YOU ON THE ACCOUNT OF YOU HAVING HISTORICALLY LOW AMOUNT OF HOMER BIAS.
Understood and appreciated. Yeah I missed a good chunk of it. I think from what I saw was the obvious cliche about it being very difficult to beat the same team four times. You’re running the same lineup at them and playing the same system. Barzal is eventually going to break your D down. Lee is eventually going to make the big net front play. I don’t think anyone on our team let us down or didn’t show up. Everyone complains about Necas but I saw him create a couple of chances for himself. Koko doesn’t belong at 2C but does his best junior Staal impression and the consequence of having him there is Kuzy as the 4C but Kuzy fits well with Drury and Noesen. Noesen and his net front is outstanding in the playoffs, he’s our layman’s version of Lee. I think we miss Pesce just from the balance he brings and how it’s an adjustment to work Tony in even if Tony does alright.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
But we're going to face similar issues running into the Rangers, and then Florida or Boston after that, should we make it that far. None of the expected winners in the East are going to provide the space the Canes need to thrive.

In other words, what we're struggling against with the Islanders is what we can expect to struggle with against much better teams.
Not quite to then same extent no, none of them led the NHL in blocked shots that was the pylons....

Although I do think rod needs to realign the top two lines.... I'd like to see SAT reunited and Guetzel-(situationaly swap C)-Jarvis to give us to scoring lines....

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Rangers give up space in 5v5. They aren’t very good at either end of 5v5 play. Unfortunately the refs are going to ref for them

Florida gives up space too. They play a compact, block shots defense then try to spring someone after a blocked shot

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The faceoff numbers were unbelievable. You could tell at a certain point, our guys weren't even trying to win. They'd put forth a halfhearted effort, and it'd either be won cleanly or they'd get tied up and their wingers would outskate ours to win it.

Kuzy, I don't know what to make of him. He's an auto-loss in the dot. Looking like he's never taken a faceoff in his life. And his time with the puck is always "dance with the puck long enough to make either he or the defender look foolish." And there's simply not enough space out there to do that.

I'm hoping we see a much more complete game, overall, from this team on Tuesday. The longer we let them stick around, the worse it'll end up being for us.
Kuzy is an expected bad draw....

Aho was unexpectedly 3-15 on faceoffs I suspect that changes with last change...

Rangers give up space in 5v5. They aren’t very good at either end of 5v5 play. Unfortunately the refs are going to ref for them

Florida gives up space too. They play a compact, block shots defense then try to spring someone after a blocked shot
Fortunately our PP has stayed hot 🔥 we can match them on the PP and just a bit better 5 on 5 could be enough...

The PP is 28% agiast the pisles but in actuality Is hitting at 50% due to the double minor in game 2 with seconds left.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not quite to then same extent no, none of them led the NHL in blocked shots that was the pylons....

Although I do think rod needs to realign the top two lines.... I'd like to see SAT reunited and Guetzel-(situationaly swap C)-Jarvis to give us to scoring lines....

In the season series against the Rangers:

2-1 loss: 20 blocked shots for NY
6-1 win: 9 blocked shots for NY
1-0 loss: 23 blocked shots for NY

In the season series against Florida:

5-2 loss: 23 blocked shots for Florida
1-0 win: 19 blocked shots for Florida
4-0 win: 10 blocked shots for Florida

In the season series against Boston:

3-2 win: 13 blocked shots for Boston
4-1 loss: 21 blocked shots for Boston
4-1 win: 10 blocked shots for Boston

So, somewhat unsurprisingly, when teams face us and block around 20 shots, we can’t score and we wind up losing.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
To the me the single thing that stood out yesterday was the lost faceoffs. The Islanders won almost 68%. It was the worst we've looked in the circle since the start of the series. Varly looked good. Roy made a good decision to go back with him.

There were several times I think the Canes were over passing, and trying to force plays instead of just getting the puck to the net. That being said we did outshoot them. Sometimes that's how it goes.

There is some luck involved. At times you get the bounces, and opportunities for reasons not related to how well you're playing. We've certainly benefited from some of that in this series already.

Speaking of bounces, the Canes will bounce back at home. I'm glad it ended when it did. I'd take that over losing after 4OTs.

Even though I'm not worried about them just yet in all honesty Carolina has not played well at home in this series yet. Yes, they won both games. One was because of Andersen and the second they had a great third period.

I would absolutely love for them to end it on Tuesday. I just want to see a better game from them on Tuesday than the prior games they played at home. NY won game 5 in our building last year; lets get revenge on that.

I know we're up 3-1 still but with that loss last night the thought of a reverse sweep did appear in my mind because 4 teams have done it and the Islanders have that momentum and belief.

We need to stop it dead on Tuesday otherwise if Carolina does not like someone else posted this will go 7.

I would also like us to improve on our PK. It has not been good this series. PP is fine but PK is only 70 percent. That's not going to get it done. Also need to improve our faceoffs.

We had good faceoff games in Carolina but horrible in NY.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
With regards to the announcers the one thing I noticed were a few instances of them saying the Canes “got away with one” while not mentioning the obvious interference leasing to the Isles 2nd goal. A lot of that I just chalk up to the natural bias towards favoring the underdog. Unless its Edzo, he f***ing hates the Hurricanes

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
With regards to the announcers the one thing I noticed were a few instances of them saying the Canes “got away with one” while not mentioning the obvious interference leasing to the Isles 2nd goal. A lot of that I just chalk up to the natural bias towards favoring the underdog. Unless its Edzo, he f***ing hates the Hurricanes
Rather frequently falsely accusing the Hurricanes of diving too, while not calling out some really flagrant dives by the Isles.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
A LOT of non-resale seats available for Tuesday's game. Won't be a sell-out unless they get a significant boost in sales next couple of days. Hopefully, our fans step up:
1714328620253.png

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Rather frequently falsely accusing the Hurricanes of diving too, while not calling out some really flagrant dives by the Isles.

This is why I'm glad I watch the first round on Bally. I know some don't have that luxury but it's so nice to listen to Mike, Hannah, and Tripp this round than the national broadcasters.

Unfortunately, it's only for the first round.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

So, somewhat unsurprisingly, when teams face us and block around 20 shots, we can’t score and we wind up losing.
Is it teams blocking lots of shots against us...or us just constantly blasting shots off stationary players in front of us? Given that most teams have more shots blocked against us than their typical average, I lean towards the latter

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is it teams blocking lots of shots against us...or us just constantly blasting shots off stationary players in front of us? Given that most teams have more shots blocked against us than their typical average, I lean towards the latter

Probably a combination of both. But what the blocked shot numbers will tell you is how often we're getting shots through. Lots of blocked shots for our opponents likely means our shot selection is awful and likely means we'll lose the game.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Probably a combination of both. But what the blocked shot numbers will tell you is how often we're getting shots through. Lots of blocked shots for our opponents likely means our shot selection is awful and likely means we'll lose the game.
I’d be interested in the correlation of blocked shots to the score of the game. If youre chasing the game early the likelihood you are taking lower quality shots and that the D is selling out to block shots goes way up. Id venture to guess if you have any sustained 6 on 5 time theres going to be 3 or 4 blocked shots right there.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Rod has to completely re-arrange the lines to feel comfortable 5 on 5 without Pesce. Makes me wonder how different things are going to look next year when they likely wont have such a glut of top 4 D.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

That's where you need your power forward or power hobbit to step up and drive the net like tank mens.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad