GDT: HURRICANES AT ISLANDERS, BEAT THEY ASS INTO NEXT SEASON EDITION

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The only disappointing thing about today is having to watch three more periods against the Pylons stationary hanging out in front of their net....

At least I get to see them eliminated in person.

I thought this last year, to the point I thought the Canes had no chance against the high flying Devils.

But it turned out it was the Islanders system producing low event hockey, and the Canes went on to smash the Devils.

Doesn't mean the next series against (presumably) the Rags wouldn't be easy, just that the Isles uber defensive low event hockey is not necessarily definitive
This ^^ the pylon muck up the game.... our 5 v 5 play will straiten itself out I'm encouraged by our PP keeping it rolling in the playoffs that's been what killed us in the past.

I actually agree with this. Ticked that we lost but in all honesty as this game went on in overtime I told myself the longer it goes the Islanders would win because once it gets to multiple overtimes the Cane's record in the playoffs in games that go more than one overtime is terrible. Only win was by Brock McGinn.

Lets just hope there is no repeat of a game 5 from last year.
You are forgetting the Nashville series.....

Won two multiple overtimes in that series alone

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
@bleedgreen

YOU ARE USUALLY FAIRLY TOUGH IN YOUR ASSESMENTS. I WAS WATCHING THE GAME HALFHEARTEDLY, WHILE SPENDING EVENING WITH DARKNESS (MOSTLY JUST WATCHING MUSIC FROM THE PAST 50 YEARS).

MY FEW FEELSY BASED TAKEAWAYS WERE

ICING WAS CALLED BY IDIOTS AND IT DAMAGED long pile end knob wompers MORE OFTEN
FREDDY WAS PRETTY DAMN FU^KING GOOD
BURNS… KINDA SUCKED
5 ON 5 OFFENSE WAS STAGNANT

BY THE WAY… I CALLED THIS. IF WE WIN GAME 5, I WILL SHOW MY RECEIPT… AGAIN.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Isles fan coming here to tip my hat to the Hurricanes. Just a true beast of a team, from
Top to bottom. Im not even mad. You guys will do this to most teams in these playoffs. And how about freddie anderson? Boy was I wrong about him. Talk about dialed in. Best of luck in the series going forward. Just wanted to give some respect where its due.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Isles fan coming here to tip my hat to the Hurricanes. Just a true beast of a team, from
Top to bottom. Im not even mad. You guys will do this to most teams in these playoffs. And how about freddie anderson? Boy was I wrong about him. Talk about dialed in. Best of luck in the series going forward. Just wanted to give some respect where its due.
CHECKED YOUR POST HISTORY.
YOU’RE AN ALRIGHT FELLOW.

HERE’S TO A CLEAN GAME 5, WHERE CANES PREFERABLY PREVAIL. SPIRITS SPOKE OF IT.

On an absolutely serious note, don’t pile on this knob womper.

He’s polite, waited for a bit to post and given the posr history his respect seems genuine.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
CHECKED YOUR POST HISTORY.
YOU’RE AN ALRIGHT FELLOW.

HERE’S TO A CLEAN GAME 5, WHERE CANES PREFERABLY PREVAIL. SPIRITS SPOKE OF IT.

On an absolutely serious note, don’t pile on this knob womper.

He’s polite, waited for a bit to post and given the posr history his respect seems genuine.
I take no pride in coming here to post this. Sometimes a hockey team is just better, from top to bottom. Heres a tip of my hat to you guys. Just a truly dominant hockey team.

I was especially blown away by one stat: The isles won 88 percent of the faceoffs and still got outshot and outpossessed in the game. This canes team is freaky. Youll have me hopping on the bandwagon against the Rangers. We all take pride in despising that franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
@bleedgreen

YOU ARE USUALLY FAIRLY TOUGH IN YOUR ASSESMENTS. I WAS WATCHING THE GAME HALFHEARTEDLY, WHILE SPENDING EVENING WITH DARKNESS (MOSTLY JUST WATCHING MUSIC FROM THE PAST 50 YEARS).

MY FEW FEELSY BASED TAKEAWAYS WERE

ICING WAS CALLED BY IDIOTS AND IT DAMAGED long pile end knob wompers MORE OFTEN
FREDDY WAS PRETTY DAMN FU^KING GOOD
BURNS… KINDA SUCKED
5 ON 5 OFFENSE WAS STAGNANT

BY THE WAY… I CALLED THIS. IF WE WIN GAME 5, I WILL SHOW MY RECEIPT… AGAIN.
Just so I’m clear, are we talking about the announcers? I didn’t comment on this game other than teasing the others for being so used to Tripp heaping praise on us. I slept through the middle of the game and missed too much of it to have a strong opinion other than I think the Isles were due for a game. Are you asking my opinion or did you have me confused with someone else?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
The only disappointing thing about today is having to watch three more periods against the Pylons stationary hanging out in front of their net....

At least I get to see them eliminated in person.

This ^^ the pylon muck up the game.... our 5 v 5 play will straiten itself out I'm encouraged by our PP keeping it rolling in the playoffs that's been what killed us in the past.

You are forgetting the Nashville series.....

Won two multiple overtimes in that series alone

Regarding the Nashville series we actually LOST both multiple OT games in that series. Just about every game in that series went to OT. The multiple OT games were in Nashville, games 3 and 4 and we lost both. One on a goal by Duchene and the other on a goal by Kunin.

We ended up winning the series in 6.

Not really worried about this team yet...now that I've slept on the loss...unless we lose game 5.

And the concerning thing is Carolina really hasn't played their best at home this series.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Watching other series, it's crazy how much space there seems to be compared to this series. Toronto can't close a gap to save their life, and on Dallas's OT goal last night, there was so much room for Johnston to skate.

It's real unfortunate we're likely going to face a grinding, tight-checking game no matter how far we advance.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Watching other series, it's crazy how much space there seems to be compared to this series. Toronto can't close a gap to save their life, and on Dallas's OT goal last night, there was so much room for Johnston to skate.

It's real unfortunate we're likely going to face a grinding, tight-checking game no matter how far we advance.
Its by design the hence calling them then "pylons"

Regarding the Nashville series we actually LOST both multiple OT games in that series. Just about every game in that series went to OT. The multiple OT games were in Nashville, games 3 and 4 and we lost both. One on a goal by Duchene and the other on a goal by Kunin.

We ended up winning the series in 6.

Not really worried about this team yet...now that I've slept on the loss...unless we lose game 5.

And the concerning thing is Carolina really hasn't played their best at home this series.
Wow looked it up you are correct.... the slog of 4 consecutive OT games had it all a bit blurry.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

To be fair, we have a lot of blame in how the Eastern Conference plays right now. This is a copycat league, and while we haven't yet gotten over the hump, we've still had a lot of success with our play style and others have begun to try and copy it. Not necessarily down to man to man defense, but high pressure forechecking and back checking your ass off from whistle to whistle? Yeah, we've definitely had some influence there.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Its by design the hence calling them then "pylons"

But we're going to face similar issues running into the Rangers, and then Florida or Boston after that, should we make it that far. None of the expected winners in the East are going to provide the space the Canes need to thrive.

In other words, what we're struggling against with the Islanders is what we can expect to struggle with against much better teams.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Just so I’m clear, are we talking about the announcers? I didn’t comment on this game other than teasing the others for being so used to Tripp heaping praise on us. I slept through the middle of the game and missed too much of it to have a strong opinion other than I think the Isles were due for a game. Are you asking my opinion or did you have me confused with someone else?
I WASN’T ALLUDING TO ANY SPECIFIC COMMENT OF YOURS. JUST ASKED YOU ON THE ACCOUNT OF YOU HAVING HISTORICALLY LOW AMOUNT OF HOMER BIAS.

• Love
Reactions: bleedgreen

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
To the me the single thing that stood out yesterday was the lost faceoffs. The Islanders won almost 68%. It was the worst we've looked in the circle since the start of the series. Varly looked good. Roy made a good decision to go back with him.

There were several times I think the Canes were over passing, and trying to force plays instead of just getting the puck to the net. That being said we did outshoot them. Sometimes that's how it goes.

There is some luck involved. At times you get the bounces, and opportunities for reasons not related to how well you're playing. We've certainly benefited from some of that in this series already.

Speaking of bounces, the Canes will bounce back at home. I'm glad it ended when it did. I'd take that over losing after 4OTs.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The faceoff numbers were unbelievable. You could tell at a certain point, our guys weren't even trying to win. They'd put forth a halfhearted effort, and it'd either be won cleanly or they'd get tied up and their wingers would outskate ours to win it.

Kuzy, I don't know what to make of him. He's an auto-loss in the dot. Looking like he's never taken a faceoff in his life. And his time with the puck is always "dance with the puck long enough to make either he or the defender look foolish." And there's simply not enough space out there to do that.

I'm hoping we see a much more complete game, overall, from this team on Tuesday. The longer we let them stick around, the worse it'll end up being for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad