Hurricanes ABSOLUTELY SHATTER modern playoff record for shot attempt differential in a single game

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Isles have no business in the Playoffs. Get rid if the OT point.
But why would you get rid of it? Getting to OT is relevant for the playoffs.

OT and SO should be made LESS valuable, not more so. Without loser point, you'd reward teams for having good SO and OT capabilities; both useless in playoffs. Makes no sense.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is pretty unbelievable. I compiled all 1,453 games since 2007-08 (as far back as Natural Stat Trick goes). On a per minute basis, the shot attempt differential we saw in last night's Canes - Islanders game 2 was 37% higher than the next closest game.

The next closest game was Stars Flames game 7 in 2022, where Calgary absolutely shelled Oettinger, who stood on his head before Gaudreau finally scored. That game went almost full extra period and still didn't reach the differential we saw last night:

View attachment 858089

That kind of statistical outlier over such a large sample size is really astounding. What's crazier is that the first period wasn't that lopsided - but the shot attempts were 82-11 in the last 2 periods. That's a differential of 106.5 on a per 60 basis!
Islanders trying to sit on a lead for 40 minutes played right into Hurticanes hands for a come back......and that they did!

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Kuz

May 11, 2015
That kind of statistical outlier over such a large sample size is really astounding. What's crazier is that the first period wasn't that lopsided - but the shot attempts were 82-11 in the last 2 periods. That's a differential of 106.5 on a per 60 basis!
Isles with a big early lead so not that surprised. They turtled to hard with no counter game to punish an offensive Carolina team with breakaways. Only 39 of those 110 shots hit the net. The Dallas game had 67-28 in shots on net and a 39 shot difference while last night "only" had 27.

Sharks with 51-17
Capitals with 42-16 vs Montreal (Still not over that game 7) and 44-11 vs Flyers

So shots on net wise it is in line with other games. Either Isles just is very good at blocking or Carolina was shooting from everywhere.

Also 3 of the 5 most dominant games the team ended up loosing. Which isnt that weird as when a worse team get the lead they will play even more defensively and the "better" team will push even harder to get a goal.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Isles with a big early lead so not that surprised. They turtled to hard with no counter game to punish an offensive Carolina team with breakaways. Only 39 of those 110 shots hit the net. The Dallas game had 67-28 in shots on net and a 39 shot difference while last night "only" had 27.

Sharks with 51-17
Capitals with 42-16 vs Montreal (Still not over that game 7) and 44-11 vs Flyers

So shots on net wise it is in line with other games. Either Isles just is very good at blocking or Carolina was shooting from everywhere.

Also 3 of the 5 most dominant games the team ended up loosing. Which isnt that weird as when a worse team get the lead they will play even more defensively and the "better" team will push even harder to get a goal.
Bingo, this is the recipe. Bad possession team gets ahead in a game vs an elite forechecking team and then score effects take over. In the 14 games where we saw a +50 in corsi differential per 60, the dominant team only successfully came back 5 times.

And what we saw the other night was a perfect storm of these factors:
  • Hurricanes are arguably the best possession franchise since tracking began, with the most overwhelming forecheck in hockey. They led the league in CF% by a significant margin (59.3%)
  • Isles are a veteran laden group with a lot of slower players (especially on D). They were 27th in the league in CF% (46.6%)
  • Isles are coached by the "turtle-iest" head coach we've seen make it to the modern NHL (Roy pulled this same crap in the Q).
  • Isles got off to a 3-0 lead early in the 2nd period, tons of time for the Canes to take over, and a large enough gap to begin a 5 man forecheck.
  • Hurricanes were the home team, so they had the last change.
  • PNC Arena is literally the loudest building in the league, it's amazing how much of a boost the Canes seem to get when they start to establish their forecheck on home ice. Especially on those extended shifts.
... and the rest is literal history

I doubt we'll ever see another game like that in our lifetimes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gonna need a graph so I can better visualize this one.

Not sure if you're being facetious, but he posted it earlier.

0Ob1YML.png

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Are we making a post season Canes fan out of you?
With the devils out I typically follow the Canes a bit. I live in Raleigh area, and both my daughters are hockey players and massive Canes fans. So I already spend more money on Canes tickets than I'd like to think about it.

That said, my oldest has been absolutely dunking on me nonstop about the Devils sucking this year, so a small part of me is quietly hoping for a Canes collapse.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
With the devils out I typically follow the Canes a bit. I live in Raleigh area, and both my daughters are hockey players and massive Canes fans. So I already spend more money on Canes tickets than I'd like to think about it.

That said, my oldest has been absolutely dunking on me nonstop about the Devils sucking this year, so a small part of me is quietly hoping for a Canes collapse.

Injuries and no goaltending did yall in this year.... I suspect the Devils will be back next season.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

OT and SO should be made LESS valuable, not more so. Without loser point, you'd reward teams for having good SO and OT capabilities; both useless in playoffs. Makes no sense.
.5 point extra point for scoring after tie game

Reactions: Tryamw

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Definitely a lopsided series but the Canes play a style and game that leads to this sort of Corsi dominance. They are really susceptible to rush offense and I feel like they give up a ton of odd man breaks. But their forecheck and in zone cycle and how their defenseman pinch are a treat to watch.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

dude it's well past time to just convert

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Thank you. The NHL always gave a point for ties, which is what the OTL point is. The problem is getting a point for winning in Regular Season OT - teams get rewarded for something that is not real hockey.

And the comment to which you're responding says the Isles don't belong in the playoffs. Which team in the East should have replaced them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad