Hurricanes ABSOLUTELY SHATTER modern playoff record for shot attempt differential in a single game

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
This honestly says more about the Islanders than the Canes. The way they decided to stop playing hockey because they had a lead... I'm aghast.

I can't imagine a boxer winning the first three rounds and just standing there/shelling up for the rest of the fight, letting the opponent tee off.

How does shit like this make it to the NHL?

Fear of making a mistake by being aggressive. Happens in all sports, though not usually so obviously. Canes have done it before as well.

MinJaBen nails it- it’s not a conscious choice, really, it’s a psychological spiral imo, and you can know it’s happening and still fail to pull yourself out of it. That’s where a good coach, a good leader, a good shift can turn things around, but this is that outlier where it never happens and a team just gets trounced, statistically.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Crazy thing is the series goal differential is only 2 goals (excluding empty nets).

That tracks. It’s kind of who the Islanders are. Their whole team seems built around the idea that they can just stack guys in the box on defense, hope for goaltending and shot blocking to keep them in the game, and then pray they can get capitalize on the ~3 breaks the other way that defensive structure springs them on.

Far and away my least favorite team in the league to watch, which is saying something considering who I root for lol.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This reminds me of Rangers vs Penguins game 4 in 2022.

26dswofrxjy81.png

And then the Rangers won the series because hockey.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
This is pretty unbelievable. I compiled all 1,453 games since 2007-08 (as far back as Natural Stat Trick goes). On a per minute basis, the shot attempt differential we saw in last night's Canes - Islanders game 2 was 37% higher than the next closest game.

The next closest game was Stars Flames game 7 in 2022, where Calgary absolutely shelled Oettinger, who stood on his head before Gaudreau finally scored. That game went almost full extra period and still didn't reach the differential we saw last night:

View attachment 858089

That kind of statistical outlier over such a large sample size is really astounding. What's crazier is that the first period wasn't that lopsided - but the shot attempts were 82-11 in the last 2 periods. That's a differential of 106.5 on a per 60 basis!
Just a quick question. You list 106.5 per 60 basis, but the game having been entirely played with a full 60 minutes, wouldn't the per 60 be 82.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just a quick question. You list 106.5 per 60 basis, but the game having been entirely played with a full 60 minutes, wouldn't the per 60 be 82.
I'm just referencing the 40 minutes of the 2nd and 3rd periods, where the out attempted the Islanders 82-11 (+71). That prorates to 106.5 per 60.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
I knew Carolina was a monster team when they shut the leafs down with the Zamboni guy. But they never had the talent to finish their chances , now they're looking good

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Kind of symbolic of yesterday…Adam Pelech has had one of the most shocking, still-in-his-prime falls from grace in recent memory.

I mean this was a guy who was widely considered a top 3 defensive blueliner in the game and potential Team Canada player. And that’s the thing - it’s his defensive play that is abysmal. Decision making, positioning…it’s like he got body snatched. You can live with some of that if you are Noah Dobson but defense was this guy’s bread and butter. He’s been bad all year and probably hasn’t been good for a couple years and yet I still see him showing up on “best defensive players” and “underrated players” lists by casual fans.

I bet the Isles would pay you to take his contract and poor play at this point.

Some players genuinely need a guy like Trotz, Torts, or Brind'Amour to thrive. Stable and reliable defensive systems make for better defensive play for everybody.

Mar 26, 2010
The Canes are stacked! Don’t be surprised to see a serious Run.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If you watched the game, no advanced stats were needed, why I don't get behind these things.
So because in an obvious case, eye test was enough, advanced stats are useless?

This is sort of like, let's see, saying that because you can feel that a brick is heavier than a feather, scales are useless, and you're against using them as a result.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
So because in an obvious case, eye test was enough, advanced stats are useless?

This is sort of like, let's see, saying that because you can feel that a brick is heavier than a feather, scales are useless, and you're against using them as a result.
Where did I say useless? I said I can't get behind it, Also, I'm sure this isn't up for debate or anything lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad